Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm on what is apparently a pretty large dose of potassium (Klor-Con, brand name K-Dur). The bottle says M20 (they are huge) for the size of the tablet and I take 4 of them a day.

I don't confess to be an expert, but here's a little something I know. If your daughter looses her weight, her Diabetese may subside. There is a straign of Diabetes that is brought on by obese people. She is still young, if she acts now she may reverse the damage. I recommend a Low GI diet, you can find some great Low GI recipies which taste fantastic.

Sometimes I beleive things happen for the best, I would not wish Diabetes on anyone, but it is an eye opener, and one that can save larger peoples lives, as silly as that sounds.

She has no excuse now, if she continues with her current lifestyle, well you know the rest. She must know that now.

I wish her all the best.

purrfectlydevine said:
I'm on what is apparently a pretty large dose of potassium (Klor-Con, brand name K-Dur). The bottle says M20 (they are huge) for the size of the tablet and I take 4 of them a day.

I'm also on potassium, and the caplets are pretty large as well.

~Corey123.

I, personally, think the fact that diabetes is now an "epidemic" is the same reason that we're all on high blood pressure meds and high cholesterol meds. Doctors have lowered the numbers because of pressure from the drug companies.

That said, hubby is doing well. All we did was take the food I was already cooking and move it around. As I said, thank you Mom for teaching me right.

Every year they lower the numbers to make you sick when you are not. BUT then, people died of old age once upon a time. No one differentiates between having a heart attack at age 90 and having one at age 45 (high cholestoral!). Having a stroke at 80 and having one at 25. They all go into the same statistics. Yes, more people have diabetes now than did 50 years ago ... maybe because no one knew they had diabetes 50 years ago. They simply died of old age. Heaven forbid!

Diabetes is also the trigger point for other things to go wrong.

Like the liver, heart, eyes, and other internal organs. If one doesn't try to take care of himself or herself, some of their organs could eventually begin to shut down!! Then there's the possibility of sores on the feet that won't heal, causing an infection and the cahnce for gangerine to set in, thereby paying the way for amputation.

My brother (one of them) was a clear example of that. Had he survived the stroke that he had, the next thing would have been to try to get him a new liver, if that was at all possible. But he didn't do the right thing in the first place, so too much booze, starchy foods and sweets were his enemies.

He drank all day and every day, ate starchy foods and sweets all day and every day. That raised his blood glucose level to unspeakably dangerous levels. Too much of that stuff in the system helps set the stage for a stroke or other tragic reactions to occur.

And if we tried to get him to slow down, he would get angry with us, so we were pretty much helpless and couldn't get through to him.

Same thing with our mom. She had two strokes and didn't want to change her ways with the food she ate. The thing there was mainly heart disease and high cholesterol.

The third stroke landed her back in the hospital and in a diabetic coma from which she never regained conciousness. She died in her sleep, but just a month before she did, doctors had diagnosed her with diabetes.

!Corey123.

Last edited:
Thank you for the encouragment, Corey.

Kfarrell, after a few weeks on her diet, without medication, my daughter went back to the doctor, and her sugar has returned to normal. But the episode gave her quite a scare, and she is continuing with her healthy diet. She has lost 15 lbs, which is a good start. As you say, sometimes things happen for the best.

In my own case, I think my biggest problem is alcohol. I started drinking in the late afternoons to kill pain, so I could move around and enjoy cooking supper. But I got to drinking big slugs of peppermint schnapps along with my beer, and the amounts kept increasing. I'd been on a pretty good toot the night before I had the bloodwork done, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with the results.
So the scare has been the best thing for me, too. I have cut my alcohol intake drastically, and I feel much better.

Purrfect, I'm taking the same kind of potassium, but only 1-1/2 tablets a day. You're right, they are huge. The only way I can get them down is to give them a chew and wash them down with a glass of water.

Constance said:
Thank you for the encouragment, Corey.

Kfarrell, after a few weeks on her diet, without medication, my daughter went back to the doctor, and her sugar has returned to normal. But the episode gave her quite a scare, and she is continuing with her healthy diet. She has lost 15 lbs, which is a good start. As you say, sometimes things happen for the best.

In my own case, I think my biggest problem is alcohol. I started drinking in the late afternoons to kill pain, so I could move around and enjoy cooking supper. But I got to drinking big slugs of peppermint schnapps along with my beer, and the amounts kept increasing. I'd been on a pretty good toot the night before I had the bloodwork done, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with the results.
So the scare has been the best thing for me, too. I have cut my alcohol intake drastically, and I feel much better.

Purrfect, I'm taking the same kind of potassium, but only 1-1/2 tablets a day. You're right, they are huge. The only way I can get them down is to give them a chew and wash them down with a glass of water.

Thank you, but OMG!!!

Be very careful with Peppermint Schnapps. That stuff is loaded with sugar,
as is other flavors of Schnapps!! The beer isn't so bad as long as you drink two a day.

But I'm glad that you saw the light and have cut down. Three cheers to your daughter, since she managed to lose some weight and get her glucose level back to normal!!:)

And yes, it's very good that she is staying with her healthy eating!! Once a person gets diabetes and starts eating healthy, loosing weight, checking blood glucose levels twice daily and other things, in order to prevent a reappearance of the disease, that healthy way of their lifestyle MUST be maintained.

For the first time since I was diagnosed with diabetes almost three weeks ago, I had a whole small pizza last night! But with once major change. Instead of the usual flour-dough crust, I had a low-carb Seryain crust pizza.

Same toppings, but less carbs and starch in the crust. And it was good!! I enjoyed it. Also, I've been eating a salad every day. And water? Hmmph, forget about it! I try to drain the faucet at times. I've never drank this much water in God knows how long!!

If there's water to be had, I'll find it! I drink more water than anything else.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see so much information in this thread. I haven't been diagnosed, but have neuropathy in my feet and it seems that is sometimes a precursor to diabetes. I agree that it seems the medical profession is trying to scare us to death with many of their proclamations. I never know what is true and what is for profit, but that seems to be the world these days, the news, medicine, everything. I suppose we will all die of stress from all of the stuff we are trying to work out. It seems "moderation in all things" may be the right way to go. We don't have to give up everything forever, but eat the special things in much smaller amount and much less often and don't let it lead us to going back to eating the old ways. We do know what is good for us and have to work with that.

It's just Siryan bread (not sure if I'm even spelling it right) which is made like a flat tortilla and is very thin.

It's been said to have less starch and more of a whole grain fiber. Most of the regular flour has been eliminated, making for a more healthier better bread.

I believe that it's already pre-baked. The sauce and cheese along with other toppings are put on and heated in the oven.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I believe it is spelled Syrian. Here we would not be able to get it, but you need to look at various types of flat breads and buy one with the right carb count for you. Look at flour tortillas, pitas, etc. All make a good pizza.

Yes, that's how it's spelled! Thank you.

I've seen a commercial on TV about whole-grain tortillas, but the blasted supermarket where I shop doesn't have it yet.

The bread is new, and I've been trying to get it.

~Corey123.

Corey, I'd think most everything would be available in Boston supermarkets. If not, ask for it. Probably someone else would like it too. I've found the things I ask for are usually very popular with other shoppers.

I'm gonna jump in here w/some suggestions - I know nothing aobut diabetes, but have done tons of research on low carb and also high protein foods, for my son. Some things I've found -

- re the 'whole wheat pasta' - Barilla is now making some whole wheat pastas that rock!!!

-most of the vegetarian meat subs - aka Morningstar Farms, Boca, Quorn, Tofurkey; are pretty good; low in carbs, high in good proteins.

- Corey - re your 'diet soda' blues, try Diet-Rite and Fresca. They're both a big hit in our house.

- also for Corey - can't remember the name of it, but there used to be a big 'natural foods' supermarket in Cambridge; they should have all the whole wheat tortillas and such for your pizzas.

And for all of you - This thread has to be one of the best, most informative, most supportive ones I've seen here on these boards! You all are doing an absolutely wonderful job educating each other and supporting each other - keep up the good work!

Thank you.

I don't have a problem eating veggie subs. It's the bread that I can't have too much of, so maybe a small sub and a small salad might work. I've practically turned vegetarian, eating very little meat except for grilled lemon chicken breast.

And speaking of whole wheat pasta, I DID however, pick up some Ronzoni whole wheat noodles and thin spagetti. It's said to be more healthier than regular pasta. More fiber as well. The noodles have no egg yolk, just the whites.

I've also been enjoying Greek salad as well. Never knew that it tasted so good. Watch the amount of feta cheese though. It can be a bit too salty. I only like a little piece put on. And some low-cal Ranch dressing.

I'm having a completly vegetarian dinner tonight that I made myself entirely from scratch, no meat - eggplant parm with some whole wheat noodles.:chef:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
One thing I've learned since hubby was diagnosed is that diabetic diet isn't low carb, it is controlled carbs. He doesn't eat less carbs, but he has to balance them through the day. Jerrry says he never ate so much fruit as he has in the past year. I'd say that was the biggest difference in his diet (I always loved fruit) Now he practically sets his clock and goes to the fridge for a cup of fruit (in the winter, an apple or pear). He has been so good about it. I use a measuring cup as a scoop so that he gets his full cup at supper, and half cup at lunch. But, as I said, my mom taught me well, and there just isn't too much of a change.

That' just like the starches and sweets.

Doctors don't suggest that you try to eliminate them completely from your diet, but they DO suggest that you try to maintain control of them and not let them get too high or too low in your blood. Which all amounts to sugar in the first place.

~Corey123.

Corey, I've been doing some reading on this, and the way I understand it is that the whole grains are complex carbs, which the body breaks down over a longer period of time. Thus, you're not flooded by a sudden burst of glucose.

Constance said:
whole grains are complex carbs, which the body breaks down over a longer period of time. Thus, you're not flooded by a sudden burst of glucose.
All veggies and whole grains are complex carbohydrates. Simple carbohydrates are usually fruit juices, sugars and syrups.

What makes white flour (or rice, or pasta, etc.) so bad is all of the fiber and good nutrients are removed during processing, then some of the vitamins are added back in. Since they are highly processed they become less complex or easier to digest. They then react similar to a simple carbohydrate in your system. I call these starchy carbohydrates vs. veggies which are still complex carbs but rarely have the same effect on the body as they are digested.

I would not recommend removing starchy carbohydrates (breads, pastas, rice, potatoes) from your diet just eating them in moderation. I am not diabetic but have worked in the industry where we treat those affected by the disease. I have since changed the way I eat. I have switched to a rice medley that is fabulous. It is a mixture of brown rice, black japaconda, and wild rice. I mix it dry then measure it out and cook it in a rice cooker. Eating these starchy carbs with some lean protein will also slow down the insulin response in the body.

The other most significant change I have made is eating more lean protein (little to no red meats). I was almost vegetarian before but I had brittle hair, nails and constant stomach issues. After increasing my protein to approx 20% of my intake all of these issues have disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom