Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, very much so!!

And I'm so glad that you are now on the road to getting your cholesterol level down!! Keep up the good work.

I take Garlique - one pill a day to keep mine under control. Mine was 210, up from 175.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
No insulin shots are needed, nor do I need to check my blood sugar level on a daily basis. That will be done during office visits.

There are a few things I do to keep my glucose levels down, two of these are:

1. I eat a fair amount of cinnamon - at least 1 tablespoon full - every day. And/or I drink a very strong tea of a cinnamon extraction. I also use fresh cinnamon, although the lab reports say you don't need to. Cinnamon has been shown to reduce blood sugar.

2. I also infuse Chinese licorice root to drink as a tea, I usually put the two together, along with other various and sundry herbs and/or teas, so I can drink it all together. The Chinese licorice had an element in it that helps balance the blood sugar.

Corey123 said:
I can still drink alcohol he said, but only two drinks a day. Don't indulge too much into that, because alcohol has a very high sugar content - especially vodka, which is my favorite liquor.

~Corey123.

Everyone should stay away from certain foods, but diabetics are even more susceptible to the ravages of the following foods and maybe more. Any kind of refined sugar, coffee, cigarettes (smoking of any kind), pot, cocaine, alcohol in any quantity. If you decide not to avoid these foods in your life, especially in any kind of quantity and regularity, diabetic or not, there is a price to pay. Depending on your constitution and the regularity in which you use these substances, determines there effect.

Oh one last thing, the difference between type I diabetes and type II are so great, that they are not even the same disorder. Live long and prosper.

Good luck on your road to healthy living...

Last edited:
silvercliff_46 said:
I am working on a cream cheese brulee in meringue shells that I have in my files. I tweaked it to sugar free. Once I try it to see how it works, I will post it (if it's good)

I guarantee it AIN"T fat free or low cal though.:blush:

I do a lot of recipe tweeking too. I use stevia a lot to sweeten things up...

http://www.steviacanada.com/

Take Care ...

Oh ya, if you decide to try the cinnamin or licorice, don't go too fast, it can really bring down the sugar levels, especially if your insuline dependent type I.

Goodweed of the North said:
Connie, I just don't know what's going on. So many people are diabetic now. It truly is an epidemic. I never knew the extent of the disease, or how many people had the condition until I was diagnosed with it. I thought it was somewhat rare. Now I know so many people with it.

And that smoking thing, well I don't need to say anything more about that. Not being a smoker, but having a father who smoked almost until he died, and watching him try to kick the habit so many times, I know it's hard. I have a son who smokes and he's tried to quit several time now. I jsut don't understand why anyone in this day & age would start. I understand how people in the 50s, 60s, and even the early 70s would start. But everyone knows it's bad for you now. I just don't understand.

But I will pray for you, that you will be given the strength to beat the tobaco, and control the blood chemistry.

Seeeeeyal Goodweed of the North

There is a great product out there that I used, many years ago, to kick the habit. It's called (or was called) nicotania, or something like that. It was a tincture. I took it about 20 minutes before I ate, because I knew I was going to want a cigarette after my meal and it took the tincture about 20 minutes to work. Once I took this product I never looked back. What a relief it has been. I had no withdrawal simptoms, as long as I took it. A few weeks later I didn't need it any more...

Here's the address. Hope they still have it.

http://www.hannasherbshop.com/index.html

Take care

Brian, I've just started taking chromium piccolinate and I've found that it's been incredible at keeping my blood sugar down and curtailing hunger. Besides reducing blood sugar levels, does cinnamon curtail hunger as well?

A T. of cinnamon is a LOT! Do you find it repeating on you at all? Do you sweat it out, i.e, do people say you smell like cinnamon?

Licia, I have read up on chromium piccolinate, and nothing appears to be conclusive in relation to it's toxicity within the scope of current chromium supplementation. Most of the anti-chromium rhetoric seems to based on ingestion of large quantities. Salt is toxic if you consume enough of it.

I do make sure to take very small doses and haven't been taking it every day.

If cinnamon performed a similar bg reduction/hunger curtailing function, then I'd definitely switch to that.

scott123 said:
Brian, I've just started taking chromium piccolinate and I've found that it's been incredible at keeping my blood sugar down and curtailing hunger.

I took chromium for quite a while. I didn't see that much difference in my blood sugar, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

scott123 said:
Besides reducing blood sugar levels, does cinnamon curtail hunger as well?

Well I don't have problems with having hunger cravings so I couldn't tell you, but I don't think cinnamon has any effect at that level...

scott123 said:
A T. of cinnamon is a LOT! Do you find it repeating on you at all? Do you sweat it out, i.e, do people say you smell like cinnamon?

I don't have any problems with my digestion after taking cinnamon, none at all. No one has ever mentioned that I smell of cinnamon, but I can't give you any guarantees :rolleyes: Of course that wouldn't bother me the least bit... :LOL:

Hope you find the right formula for you...

scott123 said:
If cinnamon performed a similar bg reduction/hunger curtailing function, then I'd definitely switch to that.

I'll ask my wife about a good hunger curtailing substance. Have you ever heard of hoodia, it's derived from cactus. It's all the rage for natural weight loss...

scott123 said:
Licia, I have read up on chromium piccolinate, and nothing appears to be conclusive in relation to it's toxicity within the scope of current chromium supplementation. Most of the anti-chromium rhetoric seems to based on ingestion of large quantities. Salt is toxic if you consume enough of it.

I do make sure to take very small doses and haven't been taking it every day.

Salt, in moderation, like everything else, can be controlled. Salt is also what drives the blood pressure level up, if you consume too much of it.

Since since I'v had high blood pressure for over twenty years, I don't use a whole lot of salt either. Very little, if any at all.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom