Do you or would you feed your kids canned peas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you feed your kids canned peas?

• Heck yes I would. They're feeding em to the dog right now!

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No way. It's child abuse!

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Maybe, if there wasn't anything else in the house.

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

SilvrBck

Cook
I had this discussion with my fiancee the other night. When I was little canned peas were served with regularity in my household. To this day, I find nothing more insipid than canned peas. When we have kids we both agree that fresh vegetables, which are just as easy to prepare, and infinitely better for you, will be served in lieu of canned peas. There are so many better options out there. Just wondering if I'm alone on this one.

Drew

ive never had canned peas, but i imagine that they are not too tasty. i eat mostly fresh veggies now, with the exception of some frozen in the wintertime. i dont have any children yet, but when i do i imagine that i will be even more fussy about things like fresh veggies. so no, i would not feed my kids canned peas.

to take that even further, i remember the first time i had fresh peas shelled from the pod... we always ate frozen peas when i was a kid. needless to say, if fresh are in season i choose them every time, even with the extra work to shell them.

lol, i remember my mother telling me that she thought that she hated broccoli until she moved out of her parents house... she had never had fresh broccoli, the only broccoli she had ever had was frozen, the stuff that comes chopped up in a big icy cube. she thought broccoli was this mushy green stuff, and was surprised the first time she encountered fresh steamed broccoli.

frozen peas yes...canned no. canned string beans yes, but not frozen. but in both cases fresh when ever possible. frozen spinach is good in things (ie a quiche) but not alone. fresh is so much better. canned fancy asparagus is a nice salad topping when nothing else is available. canned corn can go in things. canned tomato product is great to cook with.

I suppose it depends on where you live and the availability of fresh peas. I've never had fresh peas, they dont even sell them in my grocery store, except for the frozen version, which take forever to cook. I love canned peas!

I love fresh peas... but, canned is ok too. I've never had a frozen veggie that I really liked though.

My kids hate peas. Canned, frozen, and fesh. As a child, canned peas were the only kind we ate. To this day, when I plan on having a pork roast and roast potatoes, I buy a can of Del Monte canned peas to go with it.

HappyAvocado said:
lol, i remember my mother telling me that she thought that she hated broccoli until she moved out of her parents house... she had never had fresh broccoli, the only broccoli she had ever had was frozen, the stuff that comes chopped up in a big icy cube. she thought broccoli was this mushy green stuff, and was surprised the first time she encountered fresh steamed broccoli.

DH hated spinach, until he was reintroduced. He had grown up on canned spinach that was almost always overcooked.:sick:

I like canned peas, especially the baby peas, Le Seurre (sp?) brand. I prefer fresh veggies, but sometimes I'm in a hurry. They're not bad in a Mock Guacamole. This looks interesting.

Green Pea Ice Cream

glace-pois.jpg

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Cost: Reasonable
Difficulty: Easy

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]My little tips & tricks Since we pair duck with oranges and use pineapple in savoury dishes, why not turn things around and use vegetables in sweet recipes? This idea might seem a little strange at first, but after all, why not? Certainly when I'm in the kitchen there are no taboos and no boundaries. But I don't set out to surprise or shock with my cooking. Artichoke tart, pea ice cream: these are solid recipes with a story behind them. I come from the country, and the tiny peas you pick in the morning with the dew still on them, only as big as a pinhead, are sweet. They're like carrots: vegetables that are sweet from the outset. We add a bit of sugar, two or three other little things, and end up with a viable dessert. It's not just a flight of fancy, it's something real. There are always one or two vegetable dessert recipes on the menu at Le Grand Véfour that change with the seasons.

Ingredients for 5 people

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]3 eggs 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar 200 ml (3/4 cup) whole milk 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) cream 700 g (1 1/2 lb.) shelled peas 1/2 bunch mint [/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]Making the ice cream
  1. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil; add the peas and cook for 8 minutes. Drain, then plunge them immediately into ice water to stop the cooking and set their bright green colour.
  2. Drain again; purée the peas in a blender, then put through a strainer to obtain a fine purée. Place in the refrigerator.
  3. Bring the milk and cream to the boil. Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is foamy. Gradually add in the milk and cream, whisking constantly.
  4. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring with a spatula in a figure-8 pattern. The mixture must not boil. Cool and refrigerate.
  5. When the cream is cold, add the pea purée and combine well. Put the mixture into an ice cream maker to freeze until it attains the consistency of ice cream.
  6. Place the ice cream into a shallow container and add the finely chopped mint leaves.
  7. Mix with a spatula and store in the freezer.
  8. At serving time, fill cones with the ice cream Italian-style, using a piping bag fitted with a star tip, or else form balls with an ice cream scoop.
  1. [/font]
  1. [/font]

Last edited:
Okay, I LOVE canned peas. And corn. And greenbeans. But, that's pretty much it for canned goods.

We used to serve only one vegetable...our choice for the night...and whenever we did...the waitresses would swear the customers hated them.

Now...the customers have a choice between two veggies....and whenever we have peas no matter what the other one is...(unless it's corn)..it is chosen the most.

I think our waitresses just didn't like peas.

Oh, I HATE canned peas!! I do, however, love fresh snow peas. I'm generally not a pea fan. My mom would feed us canned peas, canned corn, canned grean beans. I don't buy canned anything except beans (in moderation) and try to buy only fresh or frozen veggies. It means more trips to the store, but it's worth it. I don't want the added salt and preservatives.

if i had children, i'd give them canned peas. i grew up on them and love them now. i usually like my veggies freesh, crisp-tender and bright in color, but i love canned peas.

I use them in creamed dishes and sometimes alone. We do not get fresh peas here and I use the the frozen peas in salads.Naturally we would love the fresh ones the best.

If I had to.
When and where I grew up, canned peas were available year round. Fresh peas were only available during the garden season. And only if you had a garden. They were time consuming and labor intensive and so rare. Now in my late years I buy only frozen. They require just a run under hot water and the last to go in casserole or salad. When I cook "just peas" it is a couple of minutes in the microwave with butter and salt and pepper. Canned peas are already over cooked.

We like canned peas. Le Seur is good, and so are the Green Giant ones with the little pearl onions in them. I nuke them with a pat of butter, a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt. I use the cheaper canned ones for casseroles. We like frozen ones and fresh ones too!

My mom used to home can peas and other veggies and they were great. I only use canned green beans, tomatoes, beets, cannelini beans, garbanzo beans, or chili beans. The other veggies I use fresh or frozen. I use canned corn only in recipes for cornbread or casseroles. I suppose if you use baby food it would have to be from a jar. I've never seen frozen baby food.

Back
Top Bottom