Fruits and veggies in your diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My diet is also REALLY vegetable heavy with emphasis also on fish and cereal grains (multigrain hot cereal starts me every morning). For some reason I have a love of simply steamed veggies that I have a tough time explaining to people is not based on health. They're just awesome. Anyone else have this steamed vegetable love?

Phew! Good thing I'm not the only one who doesn't need veggies to be sautéed in order to enjoy them.... It really promotes my love of those East and Southeast Asian broth soups like Pho (love it with tofu and veggies) since they are really just poached in the broth.

We go through 2 pounds of baby carrots each week. I leave an open bag in the front of the fridge and munch on them here and there. The kids drown them in Ranch dressing, which kind of defeats the purpose, though =)

I definitely try to eat as many vegetables and fruits every day. Typically I would have 2 or 3 types of fruits per day and also 2 or 3 types of vege per day. I always like to include different 'color' of vege, like dark green (spinach, broccoli), red (tomato), orange (carrots), light green (cabbage, celery). I love variety! and they provide a whole host of essential nutrients.

On WNYC (PBS) radio Leonard Lopate's show yesterday he had Mark Bittman
as a guest. Bittman was advocating the reduction of our consumption of meat
and the increase of our consumption of vegetables. He postulated that a reduction in meat eating would be a boon to the planet in many ways - reduction in greenhouse gasses which are associated with meat/chicken production, reduction in harmful
fertilizer runoff into the oceans from raising of meat, reduction in monoculture
corn crops necessary to feed these factory farmed animals (corn severely depletes
the soil.

I'm all for it.

We eat stir fry 3 -4 nights a week. They usually include:

Broccoli
Sprouts
Red Bell Pepper
Carrots
Green Beans
Celery

As for fruits, we buy them freeze dried from BrothersAllNatural.com for on the go snacking, and put the juicer to use for the rest of the fruit intake. I'd recommend one, as Carrot Orange juice is heavenly.

I like to include Beets in my diet on a regular basis. Canned are fine, but fresh ones from the market that have been roasted in the oven are to die for. You can also shred raw and put in salads. Since they are a root vegetable they have an earthy taste, so add some vinegar to offset. That's why people like the pickled ones.

Do some research on how they are good for you and you will be amazed.

Back
Top Bottom