Healthy breakfast ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) This is something I eat almost every day.I make my own muesli.
One container of Quick Oats.dried craisins,dried blueberries. chopped dried apricots or a combination of those or what ever is your favorite dried fruit.
Then I toast some nuts
I mix it all in a big bowl with some brown sugar and cinnamon to taste.Put it in a air tight container so you cant have it anytime.Course you could cook it but Iv'e never tried that.
You eat it raw. I like to eat it with some vanilla soy milk and some ground flax seed.
In my opinion it's a perfect breakfast.
If you are not used to alot of fiber at one time you might want to start with small amounts as it could cause gas.
You can also top it with fresh fruit and yogurt.It really does taste good.

Last edited:
Echoing some of what another said- real fruit smoothie w/ something to add some crunch- like granola. It's filling and quite tasty. I've not tried it, but maybe adding some of the dried fruits and nuts etc for variations.

The smoothie I use is an all fruit puree, w/ fruit juice sweetener (not corn syrup). It's literally a three minute operation from container to blender to cup-depending on the extras of course.

Like to hear more ideas.

In the morning, the body needs foods that are easy to assimilate. So, very few proteins, some carboidrates, and sugar of fruits.
Cereals with some milk, bread and marmalade, coffee or tea.....
No fat: ham, eggs, sausages and so on....

RDG,
I was thinking of putting protein powders in someday. Is this a problem?

John

Oat meal with differnt toppings, we like raisens or a little brown sugar. Creamed eggs on toast, guess thats not to healthy tho. But good.French toast,pancakes. Guess none of these are all that healthy either. O heck, eat what ya want in smaller portions. We eat venison breakfest stakes with eggs. No fat there.But then we have toast also.We love breakfest meals.

JProaster said:
RDG,
I was thinking of putting protein powders in someday. Is this a problem?

John
Really sorry. What are protein powders???:rolleyes: If you need some protein, add some cheese, or maximum a hard-boiled egg. No scrambled or butter eggs. However, you must consider that, for us, breakfast is a very light meal, just enough to begin the day. May be your uses are different.

JProaster said:
Echoing some of what another said- real fruit smoothie w/ something to add some crunch- like granola. It's filling and quite tasty. I've not tried it, but maybe adding some of the dried fruits and nuts etc for variations.

The smoothie I use is an all fruit puree, w/ fruit juice sweetener (not corn syrup). It's literally a three minute operation from container to blender to cup-depending on the extras of course.

Like to hear more ideas.

I make a similar smoothie - I use a handful of frozen fruit (usually blueberries or strawberries, sometimes a mixture), one banana, one big scoop of yogurt and a big splash of OJ, then blend it all up. Takes about 2 minutes.

I want to try steel cut oats - I am wondering if they have a different taste than regular old fashioned oats?

^ No idea what protein powders are, but if they are artificial types of proteins, then my humble suggestion will be to keep away from them, as RDG suggests, stick to the natural and real proteins if you want some protein.Cereals, and fruits make a great healthy breakfast.

JProaster said:

Like to hear more ideas.

I do fruit smoothies..... I buy fresh fruit and just whack it up in chunks and toss it in a big container I keep in the freezer. Bananans, berries, mango, orange, peaches... you name it, I just mix it up real good in the container and I never know what kind of fruit will tumble out... sometimes it mainly bananas , sometimes berries, but it is always different. I use a cup of plain non fat yogurt in a blender, add some wheat germ and flax seed, (don't forget the fruit) also a scoop of protien mix. A tiny bit of sugar, a mint leaf or 2 and a 1/4 cup of what ever juice I have around the house. If I have oranges, I just cut one of those open and squeeze the juice into the smoothie. Blend for a fun, tasty and filling breakfast. This holds me over for about 2 hours, my metabolism runs on high so I eat every 2 to 3 hours.

fresh fruit, whole grains, (breads cerials) some cheese! cream cheese on a toasted whole grain bagel with a slice of tomato!!!!!!!!! yum!

Oats porridge is a great way to start your day,It's very filling and it will help you in the long run, good for your heart.I find that as much as my kids like cereals, I have to choose which ones we have at home. There is too much sugar and chocolate in a lot of them. The muesli we buy has raisins to sweeten it and the kids love it.when they were babies their first cereal was weetabix, they still eat it.

RDG and Jikoni, protein powder is more of a supplement, very popular with body builders. (Thus they are more likely to be found in the gyms, health and nutrition specialty shops, or sports equipment shops rather than regular food shops)
They are made with proteins from whey, egg, soy etc. Transformed into powdered form to be dissolved into liquid for consumption. Their texture and flavour somewhat resembles to powdered milk, many of them are flavoured like vanilla, strawberry, chocolate etc.
From my own experience, I tried it for a couple of years some time ago, and now I do my physical training without taking them, and I think I get desired result just as well...

urmaniac13 said:
RDG and Jikoni, protein powder is more of a supplement, very popular with body builders. (Thus they are more likely to be found in the gyms, health and nutrition specialty shops, or sports equipment shops rather than regular food shops)
They are made with proteins from whey, egg, soy etc. Transformed into powdered form to be dissolved into liquid for consumption. Their texture and flavour somewhat resembles to powdered milk, many of them are flavoured like vanilla, strawberry, chocolate etc.
From my own experience, I tried it for a couple of years some time ago, and now I do my physical training without taking them, and I think I get desired result just as well...
Thanks for explanation: now, more than before, I don't like them. Of course, everyone can do what he likes, but I think that it's better to avoid these things, unless thare are any specific reason to use them. May be possible if I do some specfic athletic activity, or similar, but, otherwise, I like(d) better to avoid. Why (d)? Now I like better an armchair......:cool:

RDG said:
Thanks for explanation: now, more than before, I don't like them. Of course, everyone can do what he likes, but I think that it's better to avoid these things, unless thare are any specific reason to use them. May be possible if I do some specfic athletic activity, or similar, but, otherwise, I like(d) better to avoid. Why (d)? Now I like better an armchair......:cool:

Yes Rob, I think this is for a very specific purpose, who has some extreme purposes... like if you are training to be the next Mr. Olympia or something... I get the impression that many casual body builders take it just for a make belief effect, to make themselves feel like a Mr. Olympia... just like a little girl dressing up like a princess or Britney Spears or something:LOL:
If you are into fitness in a casual way, regular healthy eating habit is more than enough.

Just stumbled onto this thread and read it through with interest. However I disagree with the elimination of protein as a breakfast staple. (Not talking protein powder here, but rather meats)

According to nutritionists that I speak with. protein is an excellent idea at breakfast especially if you are going to be really doing some heavy work. Protein "sticks with you" longer than carbs or fruits which are metabolized more quickly. It is always better to avoid FATTY meats though. So, some lean meat at breakfast or eggs or other protein is a very good idea if you are going to be physically active in the morning.

What are some proteins that you can put in a blender?

:pig:He's not talking about me:pig:

I'm Canadian too,

biev said:
Oh yes I make egg in a hole all the time :) Egg mcmuffin too, my husband likes a lot of eggs... but I should get canadian bacon instead of regular bacon, I hadn't thought about that (and I'm canadian, doh).

and don't like Canadian bacon! I just had this "egg in a hole" today at a Cracker Barrel in Depew NY. It's called "eggs in a basket" there. Very nice for a change...(the hashbrowns were even better...lots of cheese melted on them!)

rixo9e.gif[

This is my "new" breakfast....as of Sunday...gack.....its actually really good, just sounds really awful

4 Large egg whites...MUST be large eggs
1/2 cup LIGHT cottage cheese
2 oz quick oatmeal...

Mix in blender, ,cook as a pancake and serve with "sugar twin brown" and cinnamon......

Trust me it is tasty. I think its more an acquired taste after a bit.......

Okay, let's dispell the powdered protein rumors and misinformation first. High quality protein powders, which are comprised of whey protein, are an efficient way of infusing protein into your body to fuel muscle development without overloading your body with excess calories. I normally make myself a protein shake, right after a serious weight lifting session, consisting of 1/2 cup of Better 'n' Eggs (egg whites with added beta carotine to make them look like whole egg), 1/2 cup either yogurt or soy milk, 1 cup cranberry juice, 1 cup frozen fruit or berries, half a tray of ice cubes, and two scoops pf protein powder. No, I am not trying out for Mr. Olympia or Mr. America. I am just trying to live long enough to become a burden on my children.

Now my breakfasts ( I have two each morning) consist of an 11 ounce glass of Ovaltine with 1% milk, one multi-vitamin, three psyllium capsules, two fish oil capsules, and a policosanol gelcap. This is followed almost immediately (within 15 minutes) with thirty to 45 minutes of cardio work on a treadmill, Lifecycle, or elliptical trainer.

My second breakfast, 2 1/2 to 3 hours later, consists of one of many different things. It could be a bowl of oatmeal. It could be a hard boiled egg and a slice of banana bread or a banana nut muffin. It could be a snadwich made with an English muffin or butermilk biscuit; scrambled egg substitute; turkey bacon or sausage, or Canadian bacon; and reduced fat cheese; or sometimes even steak and eggs with whole grain toast, if I have left over steak. I have not, however, eaten a doughnut in so long (apologies to Tim Horton and/or Vernon Rudolph) that I have fogotten what one tastes like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom