Healthy eggs benedict recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I really like eggs benedict but I know it is very unhealthy. But upon further thought, I realize that the only really bad part is the hollandaise. English muffin, poached egg, and a small amount of canadian bacon aren't so bad. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a good, reduced calorie/fat recipe for making eggs benedict (or more specifically, hollandaise sauce).

Light Hollandaise Sauce (courtesy of Cooking Light magazine):

1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
1 large egg yolk
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
1/8 teaspoon salt

Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch and mustard in a 2-cup glass measure. Gradually add milk and egg yolk, stirring with a whisk. Microwave at high 1 minute; stir well. Microwave at high an additional 30 seconds or until thick. Add lemon juice, butter, and salt; stir with a whisk.
Yield: 12 servings

I would also suggest using whole wheat English muffins, and replacing 1/2 the eggs (You don't say how many Eggs Benedict you're making) with 1/4 cup of an egg substitute per egg, such as Egg Beaters or Better-N-eggs, which is just egg whites with a bit of food coloring to make it look like whole egg (i.e. for 12 servings. which is how many the Hollandaise recipe will serve, you would use 6 whole eggs and 1-1/2 cups egg substitute). Scramble them together and use a lightly greased egg ring (or a biscuit cutter) to cook them in the correct shape. Unless, of course, you think that might be just WAY TOO healthy! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom