Healthy, then once a week or every two weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I really hate the idea of giving up the meals I love to make the most, so I'm wondering..

I want Nick and I to follow a healthier meal plan. If I do this, would it be okay to make a nice sunday dinner, once a week? Or would that be too much? Every second sunday, would that be better?

I mean, it wouldn't be something like fries smothered in gravy with curd, with two hot dogs kinda thing lol.. it'll be as healthy as I can make the meal, like a really nice stir fry, or ribs, whatever we want kind of thing. We try and eat fairly healthy nonetheless, but it isn't enough to help with our weight loss.

Need help! :)

To answer your question a once-a-week cheat day is just fine!

And bowlingshirt is right - it takes some calorie burning too - just walking will help.

everything in moderation.

Activity is key, but also, a healthy balanced meal helps. Also, instead of 3 squares a day, snack through out on small healthy snacks to kick start the metabolism.

I have said a million times, it is ok to give into cravings, or enjoy that meal you really like, if you don't, then the next time you have it you WILL over do it.

:sick:

Great, thanks LOL

There goes my plan for dining on bacon wrapped scallops all day.. LOL!!

Or better yet.. regular bacon wrapped in peameal bacon on a bed of thick sliced maple bacon topped with scallop FLAVORED bacon grease.

Activity is a given, I'm talking about food intake. Specifically, one "cheat" meal a week.
Of course you can make a decent Sunday dinner without having to worry about it being healthy if you remember two things:

First of all, try to keep the balance of your meal as close to 30% protein, 30% fat (less than 10% saturated), and 40% carbohydrates.

Second, practice portion control. A serving of meat or poultry is 4 ounces, not counting the bones, unless you plan on eating the bones, of course. A serving of yellow or green vegetables is 1 cup, cooked. A serving of carbohydrates such as potaotes, rice, or macaroni, is 1/2 cup cooked. Do not count peas or corn as vegetables. They are carbohydrates. Salad is a free-for-all. You can eat as much as you like, as long as you limit the dressing to 2 tablespoons. I've actually seen Graham Kerr apply 1 tablespoon of vinegar based salad dressing to 12 ounces of salad by using his salad spinner. I wouldn't recommend trying this with thousand island or ranch dressing, though. You can even have dessert, if you limit the portion size. Take a tip from Mrs. Smith, of the frozen fuit pies Smiths. According to the packaging, one serving is 1/12th of a pie. Good luck cutting a nine-inch diameter pie into 12 pieces, and good luck again getting the first slice out of the pie tin!

enjoy your "cheat day" it shouldn't hurt your diet at all. just make sure u get back on track on mon. this from someone that needs to lose 30 pounds. lol i know how to do it, just don't do it. :LOL::LOL:

babe:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have to lose 30 lbs too babe.. I am 190 and 5'7.. I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale.. I'd like to lose 40-45. I worked in an office where there was always a food temptation until january, so I put on alot of weight there.. ugh.

i'm thin & healthy & indulge often enough to keep my stomach from growling.
i say, indulge Sundays if you want!:-p

If it means that it'll be easier for you to stick to a healthy diet every other day, I say go for it. You only live once, why torture yourself? :D

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your next Sunday dinner. :)

You only live once, why torture yourself? :D
Because you want to make the 'once' last as long as possible?
Besides, eating healthfully, in the correct proportions, is not torture, unless you're some kind of a glutton.

I agree that a cheat day can still be healthy. Healthy food does not mean nasty food. I was talking to my sister the other day, and we did not know we were being raised healthy. Mom taught me that every meal should have as many colors of the rainbow as possible. I was astonished when the military stationed me in North Dakota, and the local folk pretty much only ate food that was white or gray. The man who ran the chow hall used to call me up on occasion. "Claire, I heard you made a great XXXX; let's talk, how can I make it for 100 guys?" Just think color, reallly. But mostly, the fact that you are making a meal for your loved ones overwhelms almost anything you can do negatively. Just make sure there is a good salad and veggie (and I don't mean corn or peas, they count more as a starch). I had a guy who sold me veggies in Florida who thought I was a vegetarian! No ... I was just raised that every meal should have green (not boiled to death gray), and red or orange (no, not candied). Include that in your meal and you'll be OK.

I have to lose 30 lbs too babe.. I am 190 and 5'7.. I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale.. I'd like to lose 40-45. I worked in an office where there was always a food temptation until january, so I put on alot of weight there.. ugh.

One of the easiest first steps to losing fat is to eliminate all the refined carbs in your diet. Stick to whole grains, fruits and veggies only for you carbs. If you're not gonna do anything else, do at least that. If you are willing to do other things and are serious, your diet should be as clean as possible. Most fats should be healthy fats, proteins should be lean. Cardio activity at least 20 minutes a day 4-5 days a week, and some kind of weight or resistance training 3-4 days a week. This is for starters.

I'm certainly taking some of the advise here. I've gained over 30 pounds since I stayed home and I hate it. I'm to blame since I've really let go of myself with not enough exercise and not really watching what I eat. Once we get home from vacation, I'm starting my walking, weight lifting and healthy eating. Sigh...

Changing your diet and exercising more are both key and important. Volumes are written on both so I won't go into all the details. But a couple of tips that have helped me and my wife over time:
Take the stairs not the elevator (I employ the 4 floor rule, anything above the 4th floor I am taking the elevator!)
If you work somewhere that has bike trails or is a bike friendly area (like here in Chicago we have a bike lane) then take your car part way to work, and ride your bike the rest of the way to work. That one also helps to burn off any aggravation after a day in the office and you will be amazed how quickly you get back to your car!
Working with your doctor and sharing your daily routine, you can work up a calorie chart to help you determine what your appropriate intake is. Then, use this guideline to 'save' up a few calories during the week to splurge on your Sunday cheat day so it has less impact.
Drink lots of water, I don't know why that one works or the mechanics around it, but it seems to help. Just remember when you step on the scale that water is still in you.
Weight yourself at the same time each day, we always do it first thing in the morning, well second thing in the morning, potty comes first. This will give you more consistent readings day by day.
And there is probably a billion more of these, but don't try em all at once!! You will overload. First do one thing, then when you have it down pat and 'routine' move on to the next. Patients and the turtle win over the rabbit every time if you are looking for long term permanent weight loss.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom