Herbs to the rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boufa06 said:
Petey, it seems that you would not have much luck in finding olive trees in or around NJ. If you want I can send you some from our groves.

To prepare them, I steep the leaves in very hot water for about 5 minutes, strain and drink the brew just like tea. I usually drink it in the morning.

A rather different preparation involves grinding one cup of olive leaves and one cup of water in a blender until you get a very fine paste or suspension. Then you take 1-2 shot glasses of this once in the morning and once before going to bed.

I have never tried the second method. I do imagine that the taste of the concoction would be bitter. The one I prefer tastes a lot milder and pleasant.

So many great people around the world!!! Thank you so much for the info and the offer boufa06 but i've found something called "Red Yeast Rice" which is used in China and said to be effective and it's easily found on the shelf of vitamin stores here.

Cheers! Petey

petey said:
So many great people around the world!!! Thank you so much for the info and the offer boufa06 but i've found something called "Red Yeast Rice" which is used in China and said to be effective and it's easily found on the shelf of vitamin stores here.

Cheers! Petey
Petey, glad that you found some other natural remedy for your condition. I have heard of Red Yeast Rice recently and it appears that it is taking off in the Far East. In any case, you might also want to look at soya lecithin (in granules form) as well. All the best.

When you're down,
Your nose is runny,
Got a cough,
And feeling crummy.

Fevers up,
Tummy churning,
Need to eat,
But there's no yearning?

Forget the pills,
Forget the poultice,
Reach for Grandma's magic solstice!

CHICKEN SOUP!!!

Although medical science can't explain exactly why it works - they have confirmed it does!

Last edited:
yay great thread! We rarely see MD's for anything, unless it is at our alternative healthcare center. Most of the time we see our chiropractor who practices holistic medicine. LOVE HIM! We always have peppermint and liquid chlorophyll on hand for tummy upsets. Grapeseed extract for bacterial infections, and zinc for viral. Those are the main things, there's a whole other slew of stuff in the house, but in a nutshell- we seek out holistic medicine for all illnesses. It is hard when you have kids- it's not very accepted at all when you don't pump them full of unnaturals. Especially when they want a doctor's note and won't accept a chiropractor as a doctor. ok, i better stop before i go off on a venting rant!

I know what you are talking about Shannon ... there used to be a problem with Osteopathic Physicians, too ... yeah, don't get me started on that, either!

If your state licenses a DC, DO or MD as a medical doctor - your kid's school can not legally refuse to accept a note from them as a legal medical note/excuse. Same extends to dentists- DDS.

If you have problems - PM me and I'll help you.

Michael in FtW said:
When you're down,
Your nose is runny,
Got a cough,
And feeling crummy.

Fevers up,
Tummy churning,
Need to eat,
But there's no yearning?

Forget the pills,
Forget the poultice,
Reach for Grandma's magic solstice!

CHICKEN SOUP!!!

Although medical science can't explain exactly why it works - they have confirmed it does!
Very poetic, Michael! Even Tennessee himself could not have said it better.

From my humble herbal cabinet of remedies: ginger tea for nausea (if you are experiencing morning sickness ask your doctor's advice but I think that in small amounts and if the woman has no problems it's okay--just be sure to check with you doctor, however), also for gas (fennel and anise tea can't be beat), bad breath or if you want to freshen your breath---chewing on fresh parsely if you can stand the taste but is high in vitamin A for the trade-off. For alleviating stress and helping with sleep nothing beats valerian or valerian root. The "stress or tension tamer" teas that have valerian, chamomile combinations, etc., are very helpful an hour before bedtime. I especially like hibiscus tea----high in vitamin C (tangy flavor) and helps to minimally lower blood pressure-------NOT a substitute for prescription medicines, however. But so relaxing and has a beautiful red color. LIke any prescription medicines-----always check out any herbal remedies before taking them--the internet and your pharmacists and health care providers should be your first line of information before trying any herbal therapy just to be sure, especially if you have any medical conditions.

I like a sprig of rosemary in hot water in the mornings, it makes breath nice! And I know honey is not a herb, but I cannot not mention how excellent honey is. Especially manuka honey...among other thinngs it never fails to make your skin better when used as a mask.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom