Hot Water/Lemon Juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
I read somewhere that to start the day of with a mug of hot water with some lemon juice added is not only good for the digestion but may help towards weight loss. Anyone have any comments to make a\bout this?

I read it was a cup of hot water with a tbsp of apple cider vinegar and a tbsp of honey in it that contributed to weight loss. Could be lemon juice would work too though.

Slice of lemon in hot water helps move things in the right direction first thing in the morning! A friend of mine swears by it, doesn't drink any coffee or tea but loves her hot lemon water!!

From memory, the hot water with lemon is as RedKitty described. The vinegar in hot water I think was for digestion. Both will assist in weight loss just because your internals are functioning better but they are not aimed at weight loss, just better health.

Seems that I heard that it was good for cleansing/purification, a diuretic I believe. I'm sure a quick Google will tell you more.

It promotes a healthy liver. If you drink hot water and lemon will clean the liver but it doesn't work if you drink chronically. It doesn't help with weight loss.

I din't drink alcohol at all. Simply because I don't like it much.:)

I do get a bit disgusted that despite walking 1 mile on our treadmill every morning; keeping a check on the calories I eat etc I have not lost even 1 lb in weight :rolleyes:
It's not muscle; more like flab, but I am genuinely trying.

Wonder whether IBS has anything to do with it.

I feel much better for the exercise and we eat fresh fruit and vegs so think I'll have to throw away the scales?!! :ohmy:

csalt, I feel your "pain". I had a friend with the same problem and she went and had her thyroid checked and lo and behold she had an underfunctioning thyroid--hypothyroidism) As soon as she started taking the medicine (which is for a lifetime) she dropped 10 pounds. She also feels better. I would encourage you to rule out any medical conditions first. Also try cutting back on your salt intake for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. For people who are at a "stationary" plateau in their weight loss programs this often is the culprit. Keep up the walking!! :)

That will really hurt. I do like salt on my food!! Thanks for the tip!

Also look to your fluid intake, one there are often more calories in drinks than people think, and two, you can be drinking too much water and therefore retaining it, esp if you like your salt.

Potatoes, pasta and rice contain a lot of water as well so can make you heavy until they have digested thru. Having kidney failure, my weight can drastically alter over night and if I have any of those three carbs, the weight stays with me for the best part of two days. And you know what? I always get a hankering for rice or pasta a day or so before I see my kidney doctor! So he always frowns at me!!! LOL

Bilby, your advice is received with gratitude.
I feel ashamed at having 'moaned' as there is no more serious reason for wishing to lose a few pounds than to be able to fit into some of my clothes I used to!!
You have something far more serious. I send you my genuine love and concern and apologise for being a moaning minny.

Apart from tea and coffee ( only 1 decaf coffee a day) I drink chilled tap water. My GP advised me to drink plenty so I try to remember, but often forget!
Thanks again Bilby
french-kiss-008.gif

One night of eating at a shrimp boil or crawfish boil (the ones where they have the seasoned potatos and corn) will add pounds of fluid to me. At least I have to soap off the rings the next day....so, Bilby, carbs and salt together sure sound like a dieter's nightmare---I guess you might as well eat a sponge soaked in salt water .......csalt, hang in there.....Bilby, prayers coming your way............

Bilby, your advice is received with gratitude.
I feel ashamed at having 'moaned' as there is no more serious reason for wishing to lose a few pounds than to be able to fit into some of my clothes I used to!!
You have something far more serious. I send you my genuine love and concern and apologise for being a moaning minny.

Apart from tea and coffee ( only 1 decaf coffee a day) I drink chilled tap water. My GP advised me to drink plenty so I try to remember, but often forget!
Thanks again Bilby
french-kiss-008.gif
Golly don't be silly Csalt!!! I'm not suffering. Just is life! Moan away - I'll join you!! I have tons extra weight that I can't shift esp since the transplant and I look at my non-tent clothes and just wonder! (I keep my skinny jeans in a drawer for those days when you wander down memory lane... LOL) But end of day, rather be alive with a functioning kidney than skinny and dead. They are my options but they aren't yours. Nobody should ever have to apologise for wanting to change something in their life and nobody should have to live in someone else's shadow, esp not somebody they don't know! I live pretty much in the moment, so if I stub a toe, it hurts me more than the memory of my ill health.

I wasn't trying to elicit sympathy from anybody, just letting you know I feel your pain!! LOL:)

expatgirl said:
Bilby, prayers coming your way............

Thank you both for your good thoughts.

Lemon juice is a diaretick (sp?) But one should start the day with a glass of fresh, clean, cold water.

Bilby, I know you were not trying to elicit sympathy. It was lovely of you to share your brave journey and I admire you for it. Skinny jeans are soooo far back I don't remember them :ohmy: When I do manage to lose a few lbs. you will hear me shouting all the way from the UK :rolleyes: I am determined that I will....eventually !!

csalt, I feel your "pain". I had a friend with the same problem and she went and had her thyroid checked and lo and behold she had an underfunctioning thyroid--hypothyroidism) As soon as she started taking the medicine (which is for a lifetime) she dropped 10 pounds. She also feels better. I would encourage you to rule out any medical conditions first. Also try cutting back on your salt intake for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. For people who are at a "stationary" plateau in their weight loss programs this often is the culprit. Keep up the walking!! :)

expat girl..I saw our GP today to get medication to take away with me over Christmas. She has told me to go back for an MOT after Christmas so that she can chek whether thyroid is a problem.etc.
We have a very good Medical Practice here and I am so grateful for the kindness and thoroughness of the Doctors. They were wonderful when DH had cancer last year.
Happy Christmas to you and yours and thanks for your advice.

I drink a glass of hot water with the juice of half a lemon every day. In addition to some lifestyle changes and food consumption changes, drinking this has contributed to a 40 pound weight loss since July.

I suggest real lemons, not bottled juice.

My Mum goes to a famous "Naturalist" and he makes her drink a glass of hot water with juice of half a lemon in it every mourning. It "cleans you system out", all the family drink it now. It doesn't hurt to try it does it?

Back
Top Bottom