How do I GAIN weight without jepordizing my health?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ask your doctor. While everyone here means well,and will offer suggestions in good faith, only your physician is in a position to accurately answer this question.

absolutely add whole milk to your diet, you should not be using any 2% milk products. Do you drink milk with your meals? You could try eating three solid meals a day with 3 snacks. Eating a snack before bedtime was a good suggestion.
You are 6' 2", 22 yo and only taking in between 1800 and 2300 Kcal. a day? You need to up the caloric intake. Protein and fruit would be good choices for snacks; apples and peanut butter, pears and cottage cheese. Do you like smoothies, easy to add cream to that. I add cream to dh's oatmeal in the winter to get extra calories in him. Cheese and crackers was another good suggestion.

Doctors are not trained in nutrition. 20 years ago they received no required courses in nutrition. Today less than 25% of the medical schools in the US offer required courses in nutrition. See a Registered Dietitian if you feel you need professional advice. But this is not rocket science. Uncle Bob gives better advice than some doctors.

i'm with tex. ensure+ & other nutrioional drinks gained me some weight. milkshakes, too.

are not EATING A LOT. You are on a weight loss diet for someone who is almost 6'3" and athletic. And you bike 20 miles at a time on 1800 calories a day?
Your calorie intake is very minimal. I don't think it's enough to sustain more weight. The only way you will be able to gain is to increase your calorie intake.

It's an interesting proposition. There are quite a few studies that seem to indicate that being on the very thin side along with being very active and eating a healthy selection of foods is actually a major key to longevity. Food for thought, huh?

That said, I know you need to gain weight to get the job you want. The above suggestions are all very good but don't be surprised if you don't achieve your goal immediately. Like Jeekinz said, some folks are just fast metabolizers. It does eventually slow down as you get older, but that may not be much comfort to you in light of your current goal. Good luck with this.

Well - a 6'2", 140-lb, 22 years old male has a basal metabolic rate of 1728 cals/day. So - with a diet of 1800-2300 cals/day and with aerobic exercise (bike riding) ... you're not going to gain any weight.

If you want to gain weight ... you need to increase your caloric intake (to 3000-3500 cals/day) and do some weight/strength training. You can increase you calories with complex carbs, proteins, legumnes and fruits.

Since you are in school - you have a couple of free resources - one is the physical education department, the other is a nutritionist that oversees the food service on the campus.

Now, as to the "weight" requirement ... it appears the RCMP did away with that back in the 70's - replaced that with the Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation (PARE). But, if you just want to be a cyber crimes geek - you can get on in the Integrated Technological Crime Unit (ITCU) as a civilian employee of the RCMP.

You might search the RCMP website to get more information - and information on how to contact them for more up-to-date information.

You should try to google "ways to Gain weight" and it should take you to some nutrition websites that should have some facts you can use for your weight gain. I need to gain weigh as well, and thats where I got most of my facts from, one of the things they said was eating nuts, like peanuts cashews etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom