How many calories do you eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
When I read all the great recipes and foods consumed in here I wonder how you all do it. I would love to eat fried chicken, gravies, cream sauces, desserts but I would be huge! I have a few days of being really good in exchange for one bad. I try to keep my calories around 2000. Lofat locarb do not seem to work (too many restrictions) so I watch calories.

Sorry don't count them, never had too, I just watch how many sweets I eat, and seldom snack. I am not skinny !

Last edited:
Ahhh Barb you are one of the lucky ones. If I am not careful I will gain.

I don't know about my calories but when my jeans start to feel tight, I cut back on the sweets (my downfall) and try to avoid eating after dinner. If they feel really tight, sometimes I'll do sort of a fast, drinking only liquids for a day. Or, if I know I'm going to have a big dinner with all the trimmings and lots of desserts, I'll do the liquids thing that day til the meal.

I kinda keep an idea of how many calories I consume (nothing exact) and base my workouts on that. I usually try to stay below 1800, but it varies from day to day. Some days I consume 900 to 1200, other days may be more or less. If there is a day that I have had more calories than normal, I add an extra mile or two to my work out. Other than that, I just eat what I want and keep sweets to a minimum, but never eliminate them!

When I am at full workout potential, which I haven't been lately because of another bout with plantar fasciitis, I can consume as many as 3800 calories a day. Right now I maintain my current weight by going back to a diet of 2200 calories, until the pain goes away and I can once again spend two to three hours in the gym every day except Friday.

I think it really depends on how active you are. I spent the weekend snow boarding and ate absolute rubbish all weekend and I mean ALL weekend. I was always putting something in my mouth and it was usually coated in sugar or dripping with butter but I was fine about it because I was working out so hard all weekend. I don't count calories but if something is really high in calories I try to stay away from it or only eat a small amount and if I have a total blow out I make sure to go for a walk the next day or do some extra sit ups and push ups before I go to bed.

i eat around 1200-1600 cals per day during the week. a little more on weekends. during the week, i basically try and eat fruits, veggies and salads, limit refined products, sweets, etc. on weekends, i relax it a little bit because it usually involves going out to eat at least one night, a few beers here and there. but i try not to go overboard, even on weekends. of course, it sometimes happens.

Right now I'm at about 1000, but it's usually less. I've been looking much more closely at the bad habits I'd created and decided to change....so far to the tune of 20 pounds since July 9th. I give myself monthly goals....

This month is my son's college graduation dinner. Next month is the Vendemia Wine Festival. October is my children's birthdays. November...well we all know how bad November can be.

I agree, it's very difficult to spend time talking about food when you are eliminating some of the ingredients that make it taste soooooooo good, like butter, cheese, oil, sugar. It's all about balance, I believe. That...and making lifestyle changes, not dieting.

Good luck with the gravies, I know...they're a killer.:huh:

I don't count calories, but I try to eat healthfully, at least most of the time. I generally don't have dessert at home; occasionally when I'm out to dinner with friends, we share one or two. I don't bake much - I prefer savory food to sweets. I sometimes splurge on good French fries ;)

Also, I don't believe in deliberately eliminating any food or food category (e.g., breads or potatoes) and I found out the hard way that we all need a certain amount of fat in our diets, or our bodies will not absorb the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. I usually cook with olive oil, but I have other oils and butter that I cook with less often.

Last edited:
Life style changes yes Vera! Me? 1500 max per day! Mostly less. I am a bad boy on week-ends sometimes however.
Eventually, I'll get to the part where I won't care about being 'bad'. For now, I'll settle for being bad once a month.

Oh, by the way....booze has absolutely no calories. I've decided.:ermm:

Oh I am so right there with you on this Vera!!!!!!! :angel:

Right??!!! C'mon it either looks like water or tea. And we all know those drinks are free.

One day I'll give you my theories on eating broken cookies and the potato chip dust from the bottom of the bag...hehehe

Ideally I'd like to eat between 1800 and 2000 calories per day, but it's so hard to keep track of the numbers when you hurriedly eat a snack or cook yourself something from scratch. Not everything comes with labels!

And yeah, booze does not count as calories. And since I like fruity cocktails, it's actually a healthy thing to consume--more antioxidants!

I don't really count my calories anymore, I have a good idea where they fall between 2200 and 2500.

For all those with extremely low cal intakes, remember that these intakes effect the way your body will maintain Homeostasis.

You will affect your Thyroid and Metabolism. The body will tend to store fat as a form of survival, cause it thinks it is starving.

Working on eating healthy meals consistently, and you and your body will be much Happier. Just my $0.02

I`ve no idea, I eat when I`m hungry and that`s usually once a day in the evening or night, and I stop when I`m full.

I can eat whatever I like also, my weight stays the same +/- a couple of pounds.

I gain weight easily so I'm always watching my calories. I work out for an hour daily and try to keep my calories between 1,200 and 1,500. I drink my wine with abandon, as if those calories don't count! Not too tempted by sweets, luckily. But if I have potato chips in the house I can't get my mind off of them!!

don`t be fooled, alcohol like sugar is nearly Pure Calories (just look how well it burns!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom