Is there such a thing as drinking too much water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mish said:
Corey, since you have diabetes, I would consult with your physician and pose the questions to him/her & not take web advice.

Diet (i.e. salt intake), dehydration, medication, alcohol, and climate can all have an effect on your body & its' needs. Who's to say how much is too much or best for you.

One of my best friends drank water, soda, gatorade 24/7 -- it was drink and pee, drink & pee. She was also on meds. Her kidneys finally shut down. She was on dialoysis (sp) for awhile, stapled up, and hardly any place to put a shunt, until she passed away. Don't want to scare you, but get it checked out with a physician. What is 'normal', or daily recommended for one person, does not apply to everyone. My best.

So sorry to hear about your friend.:(

I just made an appointment to see a nutritionist at the Joslin Diabetes Clinic.
I'll try to fing out about this on that day.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Yes, it's true. There were 2 cases in the news last summer of school athletes who died from drinking too much water, effectively & dangerously reducing vital electrolytes & nutrients from their body in a short period of time.

But as others have said, you really have to discuss this with your doctor. If you're just replacing your normal beverage intake with water, then all the more power to you!!

Corey the Joslin is first rate. Glad you have such good care.

God bless and take care.

:) Drinking to much water basicly causes you to drown in your own body it can be a problem for small children in swimming pools when they swallow alot of water.For the most part though is people drink do not enough water you can also get it in tea and other beverages like fruit juice, sodas are not a good choice and I believe the that sugary drinks make you more thirsty.
If you are thirsty and want water you are already way too dehydrated you must drink it enough before you actually get thirsty.A good way to tell if you need more water is when you go to the bathroom and you urine is dark colored the darker the worse dehydrated you are it should be a very light pale yellow or even better clear just like water anything darker is a sign of dehydration.
At high altitudes you need to drink copious amount of water ,especially at 10000 feet drink,drink, drink and then drink some more it helps you adjust to the elevation sooner by doing a kind of kidney dialisis turning more white cells to red which in turn gets more oxygen to your body which you need as there is less oxygen up there.You can tell you are getting enough for that if the fiirst few nights you need to get up at least twice a night to relieve your self.
I worked at a ski area for 11 years at 9500 ft then worked in summers at a lodge at 10000 ft for 8 years.So I did a little home work.Personaly Im not far from a bottle of water or ice green tea ever, it's by my bed also but living in a real low humidity it sucks the moisture right out of your body.
Also a good way to prevent kidney stones is to drink alot of water it keeps your kidneys flushed my husband used to get them and when I told him 12 years ago he just needed more water they disappeared has had not one since.
Sorry to be so long winded buy it's kind of a passion of mine I could go on and on..Especially high altitude sickness.
I actually have come up with some supplements that can get you adjusted to high elevation very quick it worked on every kid that came to work at the lodge.
If interested I will post.

auntdot said:
Corey the Joslin is first rate. Glad you have such good care.

God bless and take care.

Thank you.

I was just at a friend's house today (the same one who told me about the water) and had a bottle of water and two tall glasses of it. I also had two Diet Pepsis as well.

Before that, on the way there, I was walking there from the subway, stopped at a water fountain and was trying to suck the thing dry. Almost like I couldn't get enough! I was sweating profusely because the street was sort of like a hill.:ermm:

And I think that all was within the daily limit. So I may not need to drink any more water this evening.:)

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Are you consciously drinking all this fluid as a means of curbing your appetite or are you very thirsty? If all this is to quench thirst, I think you should consult your Dr.

Drinking tons of water every time you feel hunger is not a good solution. You keep your stomach at full size and tax your kidneys. You'd be better off find some low cal, low crab solids to nibble on.

No!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm eating as I should. And I DO have & find stuff to nibble on like some fruit, trail mix or a granola bar or cereal bar.

Today was kind of a muggy hot day and I was tired form the walk, so I had the water. I had a meal before I left my friend's house. But I think I might have gone overboard a little bit with the water today.

And supposedly, water can hellp sustain life for at least two days if needed if you have no food during that time. But I got plenty of food.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
...And supposedly, water can hellp sustain life for at least two days if needed if you have no food during that time... ~Corey123.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make with this statement. It doesn't seem to be relevant to your situation.

Back
Top Bottom