ISO High calorie recipes (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
5'3" and 195 lbs! I graduated high school at 5'6" and 92 lbs., litterally. I joined the U.S. Navy at 19 years of age at a whopping 103 lbs. And could I ever eat a ton of food. :mrgreen: Then (heavy, heavy sigh here), my metabolism changed at around age 22. I gained 15 lbs. of muscle in 2 weeks. Then I got married and slowed down the physically demanding life-style some. Now it's a fairly solid (except for the belly) 5'6" at 220. And I eat moderate meals.

I'm all for the high caloric meals, but have to caution you to use high calorie and healthy ingredients such as sweet potatoes, olive, seed, or avacado oils, lean meats such as pork, fish, poultry, etc. as beef (though I use and love it) carries risks, and not just from the saturated fats. Don't cut it from your menu, just don't make it the primary ingredient.

Also, if you tolerate them well, use the dairy products, both as a beverage, and in your recipes. And remember, beans are high in nutritional value, starches, and fibers. They are an incredible food that can be made in thousand different ways, everything from baked beans, to bean soup, to Dahl, to bean pie (tastes amazingly like pumpkin pie :mrgreen:).

And don't forget the squash family, especially the winter squashes. And then there are cantaloupes, the nutritional king of the mellons.

Rice is fairly high in caloric content. But use brown rice for the additional nutrients, and whole grain pastas and other whole grain products.

And also, don't pass up any opportunity for the colorful veggies and fruits. It's strawberry season right now, and soon we'll be seeing fresh raspberries, blueberries (a miracle food in itself) and a host of other trully yummy and calorie rich fruits. Then there are the peppers.

There is no reason to eat an unhealthy meal when you can have a superb and healthy one that suits both your pallate and body. Don't be afraid to talk to a nutritionist. And I know you love to cook.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
thanks for the response, abj. i sent you a pm. btw, i love to dig into the peanut butter jar, lol. it's so good and so high in calories.
goodweed, thank you, too. ugh, i LOVE healthy food; some of my favorite things are beans, peas, lentils, and nuts (especially toasted almonds:-p ) but the sad thing is is that those things are soooo filling. i love fresh fruit and fresh veggies but i just get sickeningly full if i eat bulky food and in turn can't get in all of the calories i need. its hard to get 4,500 calories in! i have to stick with compact foods or else liquids that leave the stomach quickly. i do drink lots of tomato juice and other juices, and i'll make vegetable-based soups like carrot or tomato and puree them, but i have to add cream and butter to make it of a high caloric value. i eat cream, butter, pasta, potatoes, and lots of red meat, but i balance it out when i can with things like olives and olive oil, natural peanut butter, dried fruits, etc. the dried fruits aren't as filling as fresh and i can tolerate those in small amounts.
i'm going to make an appointment with my dietician again. i just don't know what else to do.
i've had dieticians before. three of them (they all worked together and different ones would see you at different times) actually let me go with not eating veggies and allowed me to use juices instead of eating fresh fruits.
thanks for the pointers, goodweed. i'll keep them in mind.

We've got a couple of hamburgers in my home town that would come close to taking care of your caloric intake needs all by themselves, if you could eat one. There's the Big "C" that weighs in at 3/4 lbs. before the velveeta is added. Then there's the Paul Bunyan, a 5 lb. family burger surved at Antler's Bar & Grill, and I can make 'em any size I want on my Webber. But then I'd have to make home-made buger buns to fit them.

Add to those burgers one of the West Pier's yummy caramel malts and an order of home made fries and you've got a meal to fill a tiger.

I truly wish I did have the answer for you. Dietary needs are so different for so many people. Good luck in your search. You might try perusing the glycemic index (available by Google-search). It will help you find the foods you're looking for.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
P.S. When I was that skinny 19 year old 92 lb. teen, I could eat two Big C's with cheese, with a side of french fries, a malt, and maybe some onion rings to round out the meal. I once had 19 hot dogs with two sides of baked beans and a couple cans of soda-pop after a snowmobile safari with my parents. Man, those were the days. :mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

thanks goodweed. i need to travel up your way and have one of those 5-lb. burgers!:LOL:
i keep to the high-glycemic foods,i'm cautious. it's pretty easy to figure out. i'm gonna google it like you said, though, to get some ideas. thanks for the pointer.
cannot wait until i'm better so i can return to the yummy stuff like those legumes and mangos! it been awhile since i've had either. not TOO long,.:-p

Last edited:
i called that dagnabbin insurance company and was like, 'look, either you give me this medication or you're going to have to pay for yet another hospitalization. and if something happens to my heart again because i couldn't HAVE that medication, well, THEN i'm gonna sue you.'

don't you know the lady came on the line not 2 minutes later and said it had gotten approved? after almost a month, mind you. gee,.....
i wanted to say that i have my meds now and those may get some weight on me again.
i'm so relieved.

Last edited:
it sure does, claire! thanks. i love cheese and it's compact calories, so i use a lot of it in my cooking.

i'm up to 89 pounds, guys!:) going to the doctor tomorrow to see if anything can be done to get some more weight on.

ISO High calories recipes (help)

does anyone have a high calories recipes that is simple and easy to make?

Just wondering, why are you looking for high-calorie recipes? Here's classic baked Maceroni and cheese.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1/2 pound penne pasta [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1/2 cup butter [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3 tbsp. minced fresh onion [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1/2 tsp white pepper [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1/2 tbsps flour [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1 tbsp Dijon mustard [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1 1/2 cups milk [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1 cup grated Gruyere cheese[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1 cup grated cheddar cheese[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1 cup grated Parmesan cheese [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1/3 cup bread crumbs [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Heat the oven to 350 degrees. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use a Stockpot and boil the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until tender. Drain and reserve. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Meanwhile, melt 1/3 cup of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for two minutes. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Add the white pepper and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for three to four minutes. Don't let the flour brown; lower the heat if it does. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Add the mustard and milk and bring to a simmer. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]6. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will thicken. It should be very thick but not gluey. Add more milk if it thickens too much. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]7. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Once the sauce has simmered for at least 10 minutes, add the cheddar and gruyere cheeses and half the parmesan. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]8. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Shut off heat and stir them in. Stir the cheeses in as they melt. Return the pan to low heat if necessary. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]9. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Working quickly, toss the pasta in the cheese sauce. Toss it well so the sauce gets inside the pasta tubes. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]10. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Place the pasta in an 11- by 14-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]11. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese over the top. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]12. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Melt the remaining butter, stir it into the breadcrumbs and sprinkle this mixture over the top of the pasta. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]13. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden and toasted. [/SIZE][/FONT]
You can use any cheeses you want though that will melt, either in addition too or in place of those. If you like franks or sausage, add those for high-calorie along with any herbs you like. Its like pizza in the sense that its a "make it your own" things.

Speaking of pizza, to increase calories in pizza (while making it all the yummier):
-Add eight tablespoons of EVOO to a twenty-four inch dough.
-Use Ranch Dressing or White Sauce in place of classic Red Sauce.
-Use full-fat cheese
-Add spicy red meat toppings like salami, sausage, or pepperoni
-Drizzle olive oil on top (this will create a "roast" on vegitable toppings)
-Stuff the crust with cheese
-Use ranch dressing as dip
- Use sauteed onions
-Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the dough
-Add sugar or honey to the dough
-Make it a "closed" pizza with crust on top as well as on bottom
-Butter/oil the edges of the crust (as well as the top if you make a closed pizza)

I googled and found all kinds of recipes. Personally about the only thing I can think of thats really high in calories that I make are Fried Italian Raviolis. I created these once.....or so I thought.....someone then crushed my creative bone when they told me these were called St. Louis Toasted Raviolis as someone else already created them.....:mad: . Oh well............I still take credit for them in my house.

Prepare frozen cheese raviolis as directed on the package. In the meantime, beat up a couple eggs with S & P, in a seperate bowl. On a plate sprinkle bread crumbs and add S & P and a good amount of Italian Seasoning.

When the raviolis are done drain them well and then dip them in the egg and then into the bread crumbs. Then fry them in vegetable oil till golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Immediately, grate fresh parmesan on top. Serve them with your favorite homemade marinara sauce or bottled. I like to buy Paul Newmans and kick it up with a little hot sauce.

Gretchen said:
Smoothies, milk shakes, full fat lattes.
Actually, instead of a "regular" latte (which is made with whole milk) it would be easier to get a "breve" latte (made with half-and-half). That adds about 260 calories per sixteen ounce drink but without being more filling because it actually has less protein than a latte made with milk. And about lattes, order with flavored (or nonflavored) sugared syrups because they're about 70 calories per ounce.

Peanut butter is a dense calorie food. Add a PB sandwich or shake to your daily intake.

Uh, forget he recipes, just move in with us I’ll cook good old Ukrainian food, I’ll fatten you up in no time.

This is an old thread, so hope you are doing okay. Hope you are eating regularly, which is, judging by your other posts, is a problem too.

Now a suggestion, back in my old Soviet days the steroids were not readily available (unless you were Soviet Olympic team member:) ) so I head some friends, the guys who were pumping iron, so to gain weight, mostly muscles, they were drinking a lot of tomato juice. I am no expert, but maybe there is something to this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom