ISO low-cost prescription site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may want to contact the pharmaceutical company that makes the drug to see if you can get it for free. :angel:

That would be a patient assistance plan. One is http://www.needymeds.org/index.htm

I used one to get a very expensive drug for IV. But a person has to prove they can't afford it and that has need has to be verified by your doctor.

I suppose a person could lie----- but I didn't have to. Each med/manufacturer has a slightly different protocol.

The person who said getting old wasn't for sissies was totally correct.

Last month I had the privilege(?) of achieving Medicare status. Yeah, rah! Applause please.:wacko:

As a result, one of the medications I've been taking the last 14+ years is not on the Medicare "approved" list, which means I have to pay the full price out of my pocket. Now, instead of $15 for a 90-day fill to (checking with my local Walgreen's) $150 for the same quantity. Pew!

Does anyone know of any mail order or Internet site that I can check with to find a lower rate? I have about 30 days left in my current supply so I'm not up against a wall...yet.
I think I'd be very wary of getting my meds from an internet site. You've no guarantee that they are the correct dosage or have been safely manufactured to US standards or even that they are the real McCoy.

When you take your prescription to the chemist couldn't you ask them if there is a "generic" version that is on the Medicare list? Over here adults of working age pay £7 per item on the prescription regardless of whether it's aspirin or the most expensive drug in the NHS's book but if we want to save the NHS money we can ask the chemist if, instead of "Dr Blogg's Pink Pills", is there an equivalent generic form of Pink Pills that we can have instead. Are you allowed to do that?

Last edited:
I think I'd be very wary of getting my meds from an internet site. You've no guarantee that they are the correct dosage or have been safely manufactured to US standards or even that they are the real McCoy

That's the politically correct viewpoint. :)

Often in the U.S. a pharmacist might automatically give you the generic unless the doctor has put---- 'no substitutions' on the rx. I know my pharmacy does.

So I always have my doctor indicate that I get the brand name not the generic on drugs that are still under patent or still sold by brand name.

Speaking of generics---- they can have different amounts of the ''real' drug in it too.

That's the politically correct viewpoint. :)

Often in the U.S. a pharmacist might automatically give you the generic unless the doctor has put---- 'no substitutions' on the rx. I know my pharmacy does.

So I always have my doctor indicate that I get the brand name not the generic on drugs that are still under patent or still sold by brand name.

Speaking of generics---- they can have different amounts of the ''real' drug in it too.
Doesn't happen here (or it shouldn't!). The generic must be identical. I asked my doctor and the chemist when I was prescribed something and they confirmed this. The manufacturer's packaging has to state the percentage of the "active" ingredient.

I think I'd be very wary of getting my meds from an internet site. You've no guarantee that they are the correct dosage or have been safely manufactured to US standards or even that they are the real McCoy.

When you take your prescription to the chemist couldn't you ask them if there is a "generic" version that is on the Medicare list? Over here adults of working age pay £7 per item on the prescription regardless of whether it's aspirin or the most expensive drug in the NHS's book but if we want to save the NHS money we can ask the chemist if, instead of "Dr Blogg's Pink Pills", is there an equivalent generic form of Pink Pills that we can have instead. Are you allowed to do that?

Unfortunately, there is no generic of the medication I am seeking. However, I did stumble across a U.S. search site that compares prescription prices (in my geographic area - within my zip code) and alerts me to the best price. If they are on the level, I can get a 90-day supply from a nearby pharmacy for $50. Sounds much better than $150.

But...

Tuesday when I go to do my weekly marketing, I plan to take my med bottle with me and visit all the pharmacies in the town where I shop. That includes some of the big guys such as CVS and RiteAid, along with a few mom-and-pop places. I'll see how it all pans out. I'm a little more optimistic than I was earlier today.

Doesn't happen here (or it shouldn't!). The generic must be identical. I asked my doctor and the chemist when I was prescribed something and they confirmed this. The manufacturer's packaging has to state the percentage of the "active" ingredient.

Back tomorrow to post about this---- I turn into a pumpkin about this time every night. Actually I'm going to watch Monuments Men. I am SO looking forward to it!

Here's something to read from Dr. Oz. (I have no idea, yet, if this applies to Europe or UK)

What You Need to Know About Generic Drugs | The Dr. Oz Show

I'm not a fan of Dr. Oz, but here is one time he nailed it. I looked up all his statements at the NIH or FDA and CDC and found them to be true.

Back later---- George Clooney, here I come. :)

Your doctor might be able to write a letter explaining that this particular medication is the only one that works for you. Of course the doctor needs to be willing to do that. My doctor did that for me on one medication. My co-pay is still pretty high,but I can handle under $100 for 90 supply. Otherwise, I would also suggest Costco. I'm pretty sure Costco has a mail order pharmacy service.

Your doctor might be able to write a letter explaining that this particular medication is the only one that works for you. Of course the doctor needs to be willing to do that. My doctor did that for me on one medication. My co-pay is still pretty high,but I can handle under $100 for 90 supply. Otherwise, I would also suggest Costco. I'm pretty sure Costco has a mail order pharmacy service.

Thanks for the suggestion, Oldvine. My doctor has already written a letter and we've gone through the appeals process to no avail. I'll look into the possibility of Costco's mail order arm.

Be sure to check online for coupons.
My pharmacist told me about this and it saved me a few buck on a drug I need to take before a procedure.

That would be a patient assistance plan. One is http://www.needymeds.org/index.htm

I used one to get a very expensive drug for IV. But a person has to prove they can't afford it and that has need has to be verified by your doctor.

I suppose a person could lie----- but I didn't have to. Each med/manufacturer has a slightly different protocol.

Whether there's an income threshold depends on the manufacturer and the med, and it can change over time. When I first started taking the one I mentioned, our income was too high to qualify but a few months ago, when I called for a refill, the pharmacy technician signed me up for the co-pay discount with no income threshold. I suppose they assumed I needed it because I had the prescription and last year, my doctor did a test for antibodies to verify that it was still effective.

Last edited:
There's also the possibility of ordering from a Canadian pharmacy if your doctor is willing. Just today there was an ad in our local paper for a Canadian pharmacy. Included in the ad were some suggested meds with their prices.

There's also the possibility of ordering from a Canadian pharmacy if your doctor is willing. Just today there was an ad in our local paper for a Canadian pharmacy. Included in the ad were some suggested meds with their prices.

I thought of that, too. Unfortunately the Canadian sites I searched did not list my medication so I hit a dead end there.

I thought of that, too. Unfortunately the Canadian sites I searched did not list my medication so I hit a dead end there.
Oldvine, did you mean a Canadian "brick & mortar" pharmacy?

Talking about Canadian brick and mortar pharmacies reminded me that I needed to refill my 'scrips. I just phoned and they will deliver this evening. :)

I guess I am fortunate that all the meds I am currently taking have a generic available. I am not concerned about generics. I only had trouble with one that did not do the job for me. At that point I contacted the pharmacy and told them I only wanted it by a specific manufacturer and they complied. I take so many meds that if I had to pay for brand I would not be able to afford anything else. My copay is very high on brand meds. With 2 incomes coming in I do not qualify for assistance.

I take two meds. One for osteoporosis and one for glaucoma. Without lab measurements, I have no idea how well they work. I take the generic for osteoporosis. There is no generic substitute for Lumigan for the glaucoma, yet.

I used to take a brand med for Triglycerides. I got samples from the doctor, but when he didn't have any I had to buy them and they were expensive. There were times when I skipped them and sometimes I took them every other day. The pharmacy noticed that I was not ordering them as often as I should so they called the doctor and the doctor switched me to a similar drug that was available as generic. Tax, I guess if I were in the same position you are with the glacoma med I would just have to find a way to pay for it. That's not something you can just skip.

I take two meds. One for osteoporosis and one for glaucoma. Without lab measurements, I have no idea how well they work. I take the generic for osteoporosis. There is no generic substitute for Lumigan for the glaucoma, yet.

Lumigan is sold over the counter in Mexico. May I ask what you pay for it?

Back
Top Bottom