ISO Substitute for soy sauce please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malley0221

Assistant Cook
:huh: I am on a renal diet. Can any tell me a good substitute for soy sauce when stir-frying. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
This information, (while it isn't necessarily for a kidney-related diet), has some very good ideas that may be helpful to you. I have to watch my sodium, due to allergic reactions, so I've actually used a few of these substitutions myself.

Choose:Sodium (milligrams) Instead of:Sodium Milligrams)

Lemon juice (1 tbsp.) 0 -------------- Soy sauce 1,320

Fresh cucumber (1 medium)14 --------Dill pickle 1,900

Salt-free bouillon (1 cube) 31---------Regular bouillon 960

Fresh peach 0 -----------------------Canned fruit (1/2 c.)10

Fresh green beans (1 cup) 5---------Canned green beans 925

Orange juice (1/2 cup) 1-------------Tomato juice 320

Fresh ground beef (3 oz.) 57--------Beef hot dog 425

Frosted Mini-Wheats (1 oz.) 0------Rice Krispies (1 oz.)290

Popcorn, plain, air- popped (3 c.0)-- Potato Chips(1 oz.) 133

Adapted from: Moser M and Becker B. Week by Week to a Strong Heart. Emmaus, Pa.: Rodale, 1992.

Moved to General Cooking Questions forum :chef:

Those are some good ideas jkath. This came from a low sodium cooking site - might be a good place for you to surf Low Sodium Cooking

This recipe come from subscriber Bridget, who says "This sauce works for EVERYTHING. Not only can you use it just like soy sauce (and with wasabi added, it's great with sushi!), but the garlic flavor makes it more versatile. It's a great teriyaki-type marinade. Add a little cornstarch and you have a brown stir-fry sauce for Chinese food. Throw a couple of tablespoons in with 3 cups water, 2 packets of Herb-Ox low sodium chicken bouillon, 2 oz. salt-free Chinese noodles (or angel-hair pasta), dried minced onion and some cayenne, and you have Chinese noodle soup (a favorite of mine). Add vegetables and/or meat to dress it up. You can also make a delicious salad dressing with 3 parts soy and 1 part sesame oil." I haven't tried all those ideas (yet), but I was impressed by the ones I have tried.

1 3/4 c Garlic Vinegar
5 T Blackstrap Molasses
1 T Onion Powder
1/4 t Ground Ginger

When the vinegar is ready, remove the garlic cloves with a spoon. Add (taste while adding), onion powder and ginger. Adjust sweetness/tartness to taste by adding more molasses or vinegar. Store in refrigerator (keeps at least a month). Shake before using.

Yield: 32 Servings

Sodium Category: SodiumFree

Diabetic Exchanges
0 Starch
0 Fruit
0 Milk
0 Other Carbohydrates
0 Vegetable
0 Lean Meat
0 Very Lean Meat
0 Fat

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Helping
Servings Per Recipe 32 Amount Per Serving Calories 10 Calories from Fat 0 % Daily Values * Total Fat 0 gr
Saturated Fat 0 gr
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 gr
Monounsaturated Fat 0 gr
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2 mg
Potassium 95 mg
Carbohydrates 3 gr
Dietary Fiber 0gr
Protein 0 gr

this isn't so very much like soy, but you can use low-sodium herb-ox packets or kikkoman's low sodium soy, although i'm sure that's probably loaded with sodium. read the label first..

I have a feeling that even the low sodium soy sauce is still too much luvs. When you are on a low sodium diet for renal issues they mean LOW sodium. But unlike when I had to go on one in my late teens herbs and herb/spice seasonings have come a long way. There's lots of flavor out there without salt or with at least lower salts. I'll have to look into your low sodium herb ox packets - don't know what those are but it sounds interesting.

Elf, that looks like a winner. Don't need it at this point, but will pass it on to freinds who might. The mollassas will give it that "brewed" flavor.

I signed up too, thanks. With kidney stones, I'm also supposed to be eating less salt. I haven't salted anything in years, but I know I still get too much.

:) Barbara

Don't know how low you need, but the low sodium tamari I use is 700mg per tablespoon. Braggs Amino Acids is 660/ tablespoon, according to their label. It really has the soy sauce flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom