Healthier Variation ... Look, Ma, NO CRISCO!!! :)
Date Sandwich Bars
After reading the previous recipe AFTER posting, I am sure that was hardly the "healthy" recipe that the requester was seeking. This variation appears to be much more in line with the request. /rayt721
Categories: Low-cal, Cookies
Yield: 18 servings
1 c Dates, snipped
1/2 c Water
1/2 ts Orange peel
1 tb Orange juice
1/2 ts Lemon juice
3/4 c flour
3/4 c Oatmeal, uncooked
1 tb Sugartwin or Brown Sugar
1/2 ts baking powder
1/4 ts Salt
6 tb margarine
Have dates at room temperature. Slice thin and break up in pan.
1. Combine dates, water, peel & juices in saucepan. Blend well. Cook
over low heat stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 min. Cool.
2. Measure flour into large bowl. Add remaining ingredients except
margarine. Stir well to blend. Cut in margarine until particles are the
size of peas. Press with the back of a fork.
3. Spread half crumb mixture in greased 8 x 8" pan. Press down.
4. Spread cooled date filling evenly.
5. Cover with remaining crumbs, pat lightly.
6. Bake at 375F 25-30 minutes until golden.
7. Cool in pan on rack. Cut into 18 bars.
(Sugartwin version) 1 bar = 1 1/2 fruit, 1 fat, 97 cal.
from High Fiber Cookbook - a bit crumbly but delicious.