Move it or lose it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've just started going 3x a week to a 'Curves' gym. This is a big step for me. I'm not so much interested in losing weight anymore, I just want to be healthy and flexible and hopefully someone who will age gracefully! The ladies at the gym are fun to listen to - all the talk is about restaurants and food ;)

Sandyj, I hope you find that you like Curves. I've been working there since February and have lost about 20 or so pounds and almost as many inches, plus have some muscle definition now that I haven't had since my twenties.

I think you have the right approach - people need to realize that weight loss is usually a side benefit of regular exercize, along with improvements in flexibility, bone density, lowered cholesterol, and other good stuff.

Mudbug - you GO girl! Okay, I said I wasn't interested in losing weight, but...I fibbed a little. It would be nice to lose 20 lbs. I just decided not to obsess over it or make it the only reason to exercise. Vanity prevails. Sigh. Always does!

I think the one biggest thing that causes failure for women and fitness is the thought that if we start a fitness program we will loose weight and start looking like we did at 18, or like some woman we saw on TV.

I think the first thing all of us need to realize is that if we do it, we will feel better, and have a better attitude on life, and be healthier. Somehow, that isn't enough for many of the women I know. Most women I know give up on exercise the second it gets in the way of their very busy schedule of kids, hubby, grand-kids, hubby, parents, etc. After all, they aren't any thinner, so why bother?

I've exercised most of my life, more and more as the years have gone on. Unfortunately, it hasn't turned me into a thin woman (something I wasn't to begin with).

I just wish many people (male or female) would get out and exercise without the expectation that it is going to make you slim or get you back your youth or ....

And I wish people wouldn't assume that because you are overweight you DON'T workout. I'm quite overweight, but work out quite a bit.

If you do it to improve your attitude and feelings about yourself and life, rather than to lose weight or look better, you'll feel better and do better on your program.

Exercise because of a million other reasons, and leave how you look out of it. You'll have more success with staying in your workout program.

Sometimes we need to not think about the scale and think about how our clothes fit. Seven years ago I weighed 20 pounds less than I do now, but I am able to wear many of the clothes I wore then. The difference is that I have been taking a strength training class twice a week for the last 5 years. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. I'd still like to lose hose pounds, but more importanly, I'd like to fit into all of those clothes.

Unfotunately, I do need to think about the punds, as I was morbidly obese, now I am just plain obese!!! I get my body fat measured by electrical impedence, and really that will be my main indicator of when I get to goal weight. I am aiming for 25% or under.

I did cardio and tummy at my works gym yesterday, and have gotten up extra early today to go and work out this morning. I have split my workouts in that two days a week I will be going twice, in the morning for cardio and in the evening for weight training, and today is one of those days I will be doing it twice!!!!

Did not mean to imply that people shouldn't work out to lose weight. Just that you need to find something you enjoy, and get other benefits from. When you hit those plateaus, when you backslide and re-gain weight, you can't say, "exercise isn't working" and quit. So you need to find something you enjoy. What can I say? I skipped my Friday workout. However, I hiked a mile (straight uphill) to read to my ladies, so, it is something. My friday routine got disturbed because I just felt ****ed tired. However, as I was walking from my ladies' house after reading, it was all downhill, and the weather was perfect. I was walking down a perfect little lane to meet hubby and freinds for our usual Friday afternoon drinks. All I could think of was how perfect the day was ... and it was a part of my workout routine.

If you suffer from depression (and most of us do at one point or another in our lives), one thing you cannot beat is time spent walkling outside. It is so hard to get your dead butt out the door, but even when the weather is pooopy, a half hour spend walking outside will boost your attitude. There are many reasons to get out there and move, and not all of them are geared to acquiring a great figure. Acquire a great life, acquire a great attitude. Even when it is gray and miserable, you'd be surprised at how being outside for 20 minutes will help.

I got what you meant, that you need to focus on more than just weight on the scales. I can't wait til I don't have to worry about getting to magic number, just having to stay there!!! Not that maintenance is going to be that much different to losing weight practicality wise, but in psychological terms, it should be a bit easier I hope!!!

I had a lovely walk out this evening, up hill and down dale, I saw sheep, cows, horses and squirrels!!! I was on the look out for a deer, but none tonight, maybe tomorrow!!!

Kyles, I've been stuck in the house all day, and every now & then, pop in to see what's going on in dc. Your walk sounds soooo nice! Maybe later after dinner I'll do the same. My company gave everyone pedometers on Friday to measure steps. Mine keeps falling off. -Sandyj

I have started taking long walks at lunch time around the floor of my factory. Iam not certain how far it is but I do about 10 laps of the plant. My employees think I have a screw loose but they know I am working at taking of weight and they are supportive

mrsmac said:
What can I do whilst still sitting on the couch?????? LOL
I am planning on starting to walk regularly, my problem is that the dog is a pup and hasn't worked out how to walk on the leash and I am using this as an excuse not to walk.(and its freezing)
I am making a resolution now: I will walk at least every second day.
Thankyou Kyles for the impetus to start.

Are you my clone? My pup would rather be carried anyway!

You made me feel sooooo much better!

You can be my exercise buddy! Go out now and sit on the couch for 2 hours only moving to get a drink or go to the loo! Changing tv channels counts as exercise!!!

Seriously though I dragged and alternately she dragged me, the dog for a short walk yesterday, it was lovely.

Oh, putting your pup on a leash and taking her out is so much fun! She (can you tell I tend towards female pets?) staggers all over the sidewalk. But s/he will never learn if you don't do it. You don't wind up with much exercise, but such fun. We started our two (now old ladies) very early ... so young that we had to actually pick them up to get them up a curb and on the sidewalk. But the entertainment value alone is worth it. And, as I often say, a lot of the benefits of exercise come down to simply being outside and moving. Emotionally, just being outside and not on your backside (and believe me, my very favorite activity in the world is sitting in my lazy-boy, reading) is something very worthwhile.

My workout is usually done cleaning and running up and down stairs several times aday. We live in a walkout basement style home and the only way to get out is stairs. I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats to tend to and most days they keep me moving.Also work in the garden alot and we have a rather long way to get our mail so that is a good walk also.

I went on a four and 1/2 mile hike this weekend.
I guess riding my #%$#)$! exercise bike is helping at least with
my heart rate because the walk didn't tire me out at all.
It was a flat hike, I'm sure if it had any UP to it I'd be singing
a different song.

I did two workouts today. At 7.30 am I hit the works gym and did 40 minutes quick cardio. And tonight I went to my home gym and did an hour very hard cardio, 20 minutes hills on level 17 (highest is 20) on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the cross trainer and 20 minutes on the stepper, I was sweating buckets by the end, and topped it off by walking home!!! I must be mad. Weight training day tomorrow!!!!

Before and during?

img_161023_0_eded7c1509dd706c8ee933effd4a98ef.jpg
Here are two pictures, one before the diet began (I think the wrong guy is in the red suit) and one about a week ago
img_161023_1_f091ba598d98cf12c59f6426ed131562.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0033.JPG
    DSCF0033.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
We live in an apartment we made over our restaurant. We have an ice cream machine for our restaurant. Now. I have the perfect exercise. Run up and down the stairs several times a day....however...somehow each time I get to the top....I have another ice cream cone in my hand! lol

Back
Top Bottom