Multi vitamins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
I have never been consistent when it comes to taking a multi vitamin. Recently, I started taking Hoodia and it's important to take a vitamin, so I do, every day......with my morning coffee. I take One a day, weight smart. It's chock full of green tea extracts, as well.

I take mine with coffee. What about you?

I wish they had a Flintstones chewable for adults. Or Bugs Bunny for adults. I miss those.

nah, I'm of the school to get my vitamins and minerals from food, not from pills.
One change I have made recently, is to drink a large glass (12 oz) of water first thing in the morning. It has long bothered me that I dump coffee in my empty stomach every morning. Now I buffer the coffee with the water.

I never took them when I was younger (except as a child), but these days I try to remember to take one - usually Centrum or Theramin; I switch around.

Unfortunately, I definitely have to take them with a solid meal, otherwise they repeat on me for many hours afterward. I rarely eat breakfast - at least not what I'd consider a "solid" meal - & usually forget at lunchtime, so I really have to leave a note for myself to remember at dinner.

Half Baked said:
What is Hoodia? I've seen you mention it several times.

Hoodia is a natural extract from a plant found in africa. It curbs the appetite dramatically. It's easy to miss many nutrients, vitamins and minerals this way.

Taking your vitamins before you've eaten anything, especially with coffee, can sometimes lead to having just very expensive urine. In my opinion, to get the best bang for your buck, take vitamins after eating something. To over simplify, you fool your body into thinking it is taking vitamins the way it was intended .... through FOOD.

I take a daily multi now, but never in younger years. The only reason I can remember to take it is that my husband has daily meds (some of which need to be taken after a meal) so now I actually remember. But what you really need to learn is that your body is supposed to me nourished from food, not pills.

I can't believe how expensive vitamins are! Even though my son is now 2 years old, I still take my prescription prenatal vitamin - but not everyday - maybe every couple of days. It is way cheaper than otc vitamins!

Michelemarie said:
I can't believe how expensive vitamins are! Even though my son is now 2 years old, I still take my prescription prenatal vitamin - but not everyday - maybe every couple of days. It is way cheaper than otc vitamins!

Buy them at Sam's, Costco, or WalMart.

With Food

I personally, take the vitamins w/food. Always have. Taking on empty stomach probably not doing any good. So many things I take seem to be a nuisance but I can truly notice difference if I am consistant. Trying to eat a good meal today is not possible unless you grow your own. I go to Whole Foods Store for my vitamin needs and find I am buying more than just vitamins. Their produce and meat is simply so expensive and I wonder how people can afford to fill their baskets the way t hey do. However, I know they are putting their values in the right place by trying to maintain their health. You surely can't buy good health. Someone once told me Whole Foods should be called Whole Paycheck.

I am going to check into this Hoodia, have heard it once before. Have you taken this for long time? Always like to learn something new.

Thanks

When I was ill my doctor put me on some very expensive vitamins. He said that with vitamins you get what you pay for and the cheap ones just get wee-d out. He also told me every woman should taks a suypplement called feragrad-C when she menstruates which has the correct balance of iron and vit c for the irons absorption. I have to say, I was sceptical, but the feragrad-c makes a whole lot of difference when I take it.

lulu said:
When I was ill my doctor put me on some very expensive vitamins. He said that with vitamins you get what you pay for and the cheap ones just get wee-d out...

Interesting.

My doctor told me to buy the cheapest ones, they're all the same. I buy a multi-vitamin from Costco that's equivalent to Centrum Silver and a much lower price.

AndyM - I'll probably be going that route as well as soon as I use up the Centrum I now have. Husband already gets all his supplements from CostCo & is quite pleased. He uses a regular multi-vitamin, as well as Glucosamine (doctor recommended), & fish oil capsules - all Costco's own "Kirkland" brand. (As an aside, I have to say that everything & anything we've bought that's been under the CostCo "Kirkland" label has ALWAYS ended up equal or better than big-time name brands. Toilet paper & paper towels in particular. Name brands can't hold a candle to CostCo's Kirkland brand.)

Who knows what the right thing to do is then! But, I would probably agree with a US doctor rather than even one of ours....US medical research is so far ahead of ours. Sad but true. On the plus side that means I can start saving money on my vitamins.....my husband is a little obcessed with supplements. His favourite one is a blue-green algae thing, can't remember what its called, I just try and make sure he doesn't make me take it.

Breezy:

I agree. The Kirkland Signature brand has been a pleasant surprise for us for many different items.

My Costco Vitamins are USP Verified for ingredients, potency and processes that meet standards for dietary suppliments.

feragrad-C

Thanks lulu for sharing w/us what your doctor recommends for you. It all depends on the doctor you go to. Some in states don't know first thing about vitamins as they always want to prescribe drugs for what's ailing you. Most of the vitamin supplements I take are from Germany. I heard over in Europe they practice precaution rather than after the fact. In other words, get sick first and they know how to help. I sure would like to go and find out for myself about ttheir lifestyle habits. Even if you practice the highest lifestyle w/eating habits they can always tell you it is in your genes. So just try to use balance in all things. Good luck and thanks to you.

This thread sure is advertisment for Costco. Is it almost like Wal Mart and Sam's. Are is it better?

I consider Costco to be a better place to shop than BJ's or Sam's Club. But that's just my opinion. I formed this opinion after having memberships to all three. We keep going back to Costco.

I think it depends where in Europe. UK is in a mess trying to support NHS (a wonderful idea but often fails in pracftice) and we are I think more focused on treatment rather than prevention.

On the other hand, I was very sick last night (can I be the only person in the world reading recipes on a food forum when suffering from gastric enteritis...my husband has got home and is disgusted with me, lol) and despite the fears that because are health insurance etc and health cards from London have not arrived I got a jab in my backside and prescription and loads of lifestyle advice from a great doctor who arrived at 5:40 am when we had only called fifteen mins before...THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN UK! The response to my incomplete paperwork was, well you hold a european passport, I can see you are ill.....whats the problem. Unbelievably wonderful.

The doctor I saw who said about the vitamins is a Harley Street endocrinologist. So better than most UK doctors, who are over worked and don't have time or funds to keep abreast of a lot of new research. But I'd still rather save on vitamins!

I buy all my supplements at Vitamin World , where I found I could buy their equivalent of Centrum Silver, take two a day, and get as many, if not more, vitamins and minerals as their mega-vitamin product, which cost more than twice as much. Plus, on the first Monday and Tuesday of each month, they have a Buy one, get one free deal on all VitaminWorld products.

Claire said:
Taking your vitamins before you've eaten anything, especially with coffee, can sometimes lead to having just very expensive urine. In my opinion, to get the best bang for your buck, take vitamins after eating something. To over simplify, you fool your body into thinking it is taking vitamins the way it was intended .... through FOOD.

I take a daily multi now, but never in younger years. The only reason I can remember to take it is that my husband has daily meds (some of which need to be taken after a meal) so now I actually remember. But what you really need to learn is that your body is supposed to me nourished from food, not

pills.

Thanks for the reply, Claire. I don't really need to learn anything about my body and it's nourishment, however. My experiences in food production and nutrition are more than an adequate education.

In the Kitchen said:
I personally, take the vitamins w/food. Always have. Taking on empty stomach probably not doing any good. So many things I take seem to be a nuisance but I can truly notice difference if I am consistant. Trying to eat a good meal today is not possible unless you grow your own. I go to Whole Foods Store for my vitamin needs and find I am buying more than just vitamins. Their produce and meat is simply so expensive and I wonder how people can afford to fill their baskets the way t hey do. However, I know they are putting their values in the right place by trying to maintain their health. You surely can't buy good health. Someone once told me Whole Foods should be called Whole Paycheck.

I am going to check into this Hoodia, have heard it once before. Have you taken this for long time? Always like to learn something new.

Thanks

I've been taking hoodia since late june. It simply curbs your appetite so you eat less. I've lost about 15-20 since I began taking it. I also happen to be extremely active at work, too, and this helps. Exercise always helps.

As far as Whole Foods goes, I love that store, but simply cannot afford to do a whole week's grocery shopping there. I believe we (people, in general) were never meant to have all these chemicals, hormones, steroids, etc in our systems simply because the body was not meant to process them. The overall effect is devestating on so many levels, in so many ways. It's unfortunate that Whole Foods is so cost prohibitive. I think more people would shop there if it weren't. I know I'd be there much more often. I don't think it has anything to do with a person's values, I think it's just a matter of more disposable income.

Back
Top Bottom