"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
No Meat - Once a Week

After watching an episode of 30 Days last night, DH and I are inspired to eliminate meat from 1 dinner a week. (This is a starting point... I do hope to make it 3 or 4 days a week.)

With that being said, I would like some ideas on hearty meals that will fill the void and still be satisfying. Both DH and I love our veggies respectively, but not so much that we would eat a veggie stew. And we are not looking to replace meat with a soy product either.

I guess I could use this one day to really try some new and exciting stuff!

TIA!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
We did this by making large salads with all the veggies that we liked, a soup and bread.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
That is a great idea.... now I'm trying to think of a good soup without meat!!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Sous Chef
 
RobsanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 526
Make omelets stuffed with your favorite ingredients. Have baked potato nights with plenty of toppings. Any creamed soup or potato soup is good too...
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
I eat fish (salmon, trout, halibut) or shellfish (shrimp, scallops) twice per week religiously. But I also have one day that I eat no meat, poultry or seafood. My dinner can consist of a soup, salad with cheese or beans, a slice of crusty artisan bread and fruit for dessert.
Or I make an assortmant of steamed veggies OR a vegetarian pasta dish with a salad and bread. The content of the pasta sauce, the salads and the veggie medley is up to you but you get the idea. I even like an omellette for dinner with toast and jam. Not a health issue, I just like those things. Works for me.

But I can't give up my veal, beef, pork or lamb the rest of the week.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
DH is not big on omelets... but I guess that does not mean that he could have scrambled eggs. Cream of potato soup sounds great. Actually, I make a leek and potato soup that is really good. But if I use chicken broth... does that count as a meat????
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,226
Buck and I always had a meatless meal once a week. This time of the year, macaroni and cheese, a tossed salad and some crusty bread was one of our favorites.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I eat fish (salmon, trout, halibut) or shellfish (shrimp, scallops) twice per week religiously. But I also have one day that I eat no meat, poultry or seafood. My dinner can consist of a soup, salad with cheese or beans, a slice of crusty artisan bread and fruit for dessert.
Or I make an assortmant of steamed veggies OR a vegetarian pasta dish with a salad and bread. The content of the pasta sauce, the salads and the veggie medley is up to you but you get the idea. I even like an omellette for dinner with toast and jam. Not a health issue, I just like those things. Works for me.

But I can't give up my veal, beef, pork or lamb the rest of the week.
Thanks for the ideas DQ... and like you, I like my meat. I just want to do something good for me and good for the environment. Even if it is baby steps.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
That is a great idea.... now I'm trying to think of a good soup without meat!!

How about vegetable soup, tomato soup, potato leek soup, carrot/cilantro soup, mushroom soup, butternut squash soup, onion soup, the list goes on forever. You can google "vegetarian soups" and find more soups than you knew existed. All of these soups are very easy to make and if you make a large pot you can freeze individual meal sized portions for next time.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Buck and I always had a meatless meal once a week. This time of the year, macaroni and cheese, a tossed salad and some crusty bread was one of our favorites.
Ahhhh.... very nice.... that does sound good!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
Sous Chef
 
RobsanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
DH is not big on omelets... but I guess that does not mean that he could have scrambled eggs. Cream of potato soup sounds great. Actually, I make a leek and potato soup that is really good. But if I use chicken broth... does that count as a meat????
I suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are trying to eliminate fat, then you can buy fat free broth. If you are doing it for environmental reasons, then in actuality broth can be considered a byproduct of meat processing. If you are doing it for religious reasons, just have a fish fry like people here in Wisconsin!
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
How about vegetable soup, tomato soup, potato leek soup, carrot/cilantro soup, mushroom soup, butternut squash soup, onion soup, the list goes on forever. You can google "vegetarian soups" and find more soups than you knew existed. All of these soups are very easy to make and if you make a large pot you can freeze individual meal sized portions for next time.
DH is a bit pickier than I am when it comes to soups. He is not big on cream or smooth soups. And not big on giant chukns of veggies. So I need to find soups that have beans, taters, pasta, and some veggies.

You know... I'm even thinking of sneaking in vegitarian chili using a soy meat product. I know I said I did not want to replace it... but this might be the time to try it out and see how DH reacts???
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
I suppose it depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are trying to eliminate fat, then you can buy fat free broth. If you are doing it for environmental reasons, then in actuality broth can be considered a byproduct of meat processing. If you are doing it for religious reasons, just have a fish fry like people here in Wisconsin!
The only reason I thought about it is if it actually qualifies at a meat if you use chicken or beef broth for making something. I guess not... but I tend to question stuff like that.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,433
I have seen many recipes for potato leek soup, including one from Julia Child, that used water in place of any broths. Of course, you coud use vegetable broth.

How about pasta with a marinara sauce? Or a lasagna with no meat.

Chinese and Indian recipes offer a wide range of vegetarian dishes. You could even do all veggie take-out from Chinese or Indian restaurants. e.g. spring rolls, tempura vegetables, veggie lo mein or veggie fried rice.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have seen many recipes for potato leek soup, including one from Julia Child, that used water in place of any broths. Of course, you coud use vegetable broth.

How about pasta with a marinara sauce? Or a lasagna with no meat.

Chinese and Indian recipes offer a wide range of vegetarian dishes. You could even do all veggie take-out from Chinese or Indian restaurants. e.g. spring rolls, tempura vegetables, veggie lo mein or veggie fried rice.
Awesome ideas Andy!!! Thanks!

Here is the other thing.... and I know this is all on me, but I want our meatless night to be one we look forward to and not one that we cringe about. So I really need to makes some tasty food!!!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,433
I understand, sattie.

Are you saying none of the suggestions so far do that? Can you give us an idea of what makes a meal special for you guys, other than meat, of course.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I understand, sattie.

Are you saying none of the suggestions so far do that? Can you give us an idea of what makes a meal special for you guys, other than meat, of course.
Oh no Andy, everything mentioned thus far has been a great ideas. I just said that because for someone like me and DH, we really do look forward to our meats. Meats to me make the meal. Everything else can be bad, but as long as you have a perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked piece of meat... I'm happy! So yea, the meat entree makes it special. So that is a hard thing to replace for us without having something that just makes us forget that we are not eating meat.

Honestly, I can do this much easier that DH... I can make a meal out of beans, pasta, and other things easily enough. DH is the one I'm worried about satisfying.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
That is a great idea.... now I'm trying to think of a good soup without meat!!
Sattie - make a minestrone. Saute some onions, leeks, celery, and carrots then add some canned petite diced tomatoes, about 1 TBS of sugar, thyme, fresh basil chiffonade, and vegetable broth to cover and then some (there is more going in here so you want enough broth). Let flavors blend for about 10 minutes or so. Add some sliced zucchini, cabbage, white beans, and cook until tender. Green beans are good in here too but I prefer whole canned beans. When ready to serve place in bowl and top with some grated Parmesan. Somewhere in there there's salt and pepper too, of course.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,803
Any pasta recipe that utilizes a meatless sauce - there must be hundreds of them. And soups - goodness - there must be thousands.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
Sous Chef
 
B'sgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 863
We go without meet once or twice a week usually. We often just have a vegetables stir-fry, bean burritos, Spanish rice, meatless pasta, salad, pancakes/waffles, or I like to make a layered dish with hash browns, eggs/cream cheese blended, cheese, green onions and tomatoes. It's really pretty easy and it is good for our budget!
__________________
Michelle
https://foodmakeshimsick.blogspot.com/

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.