Outrageous Restaurant Portions ...WhoWhereWhy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...In my mind, it's better to send a customer home with a stack of styro boxes or half of their meal left on their plate than to send them home hungry.

This thread is about over-sized portions, not normal portions. I don't think anyone is suggesting customers should go home hungry.

To me, the difference is between being served more food than anyone can reasonably finish and a generous portion that is filling for customers.

Personally, I don't want leftovers and I don't want to pay for leftovers. I go to a restaurant for the atmosphere, the service and the food. It's a total experience. I expect to pay a reasonable price for that. I don't look to that restaurant to feed me at home as well.

American portions definitely get a mention all the way over here in New Zealand. When we were planning our trip to America last year, a lot of people mentioned to watch out for that. We actually found we got a bit of a range - which made it hard to know how much to order! Some places served enough for two and a half people, others were about what we're used to expecting at home.

As an aside, I know it's not exactly a resturant thing (well, perhaps a fast food one) but the biggest contrast was the size of the fizzy drink cups in take-outs and petrol stations. Seriously, your 'small' is the same size (or even bigger than) our 'large'! (I actually loved it, I've never enjoyed so much diet coke for so little in my life).

I guess I'm not alone. I often order a meal planning my next meal(s). I occaisionally have a taste for a porterhouse, which is way too huge. It is a laugh. I eat what appeals to me, and take the rest home and make stroganof, or a Thai "crying tiger" salad. For both of us. Then I toss the bone in the "stock pile" in my freezer, and we get a really great stock. When my husband was gainfully employed, I'd go out to lunch by myself (with a book and a pad of paper, this was before the internet was the norm) or with a friend, and I'd plan dinner around the leftovers. Several months ago I went out with a group of friends and one woman sniffed and said, "I don't DO leftovers." This was at a restaurant where I'm very much a regular, and she hadn't touched about $100 worth of food. I told the wait staff to box it up. We had several meals from it. I've noticed that some chain restaurants have actually taken to smaller portions for smaller bucks. Now I'm no small person, and I like my food, but the portions are insane. Too much food for too much money. So when I order, I plan ahead with what I can do with my "doggie bag".

It's sorta sad to see how little the old fogies eat at our monthly Legion Hall dinners.

the WHO??? :ohmy: Older folks know how much their bodies can take, and they don't eat after they're full. Maybe you should pay more attention to YOUR real appetite? And maybe you should watch your language. :wacko:

In my mind, it's better to send a customer home with a stack of styro boxes or half of their meal left on their plate than to send them home hungry.

Why does it have to be either/or? The US is the ONLY country where (mostly chain) restaurants serve enough food for a family of four to each customer. Quite frankly, I think that a lot of what folks take home is never eaten, and so it is still wasted.

We have become a nation of overkill in so many categories. It really is sad to see. If you've ever traveled in another country, it is easy to see the disparity.

Why does it have to be either/or? The US is the ONLY country where (mostly chain) restaurants serve enough food for a family of four to each customer. Quite frankly, I think that a lot of what folks take home is never eaten, and so it is still wasted.

We have become a nation of overkill in so many categories. It really is sad to see. If you've ever traveled in another country, it is easy to see the disparity.
Like the 4 or 5 course meals in Italy?

the WHO??? :ohmy: Older folks know how much their bodies can take, and they don't eat after they're full. Maybe you should pay more attention to YOUR real appetite? And maybe you should watch your language. :wacko:
More likely they have denture problems. They always seem to have room for sickeningly sweet deserts.
Fogies is kinder than the factually based flatulence nickname.

More likely they have denture problems. They always seem to have room for sickeningly sweet deserts.

I dont know how old you are, but clearly you aren't old enough to know better. Your comments are obnoxious and disrespectful to an entire generation.

I'm old enough to be on medicare and still have all my natural teeth. I prefer savory food to desserts though I like those as well.

Show a little respect or keep your comments to yourself.

I seem to remember a time when the fancy foofoo restaurants were serving amazingly little food and charging an outrageous amount. You would get 2 peas and some foam and it would cost $45. I wonder if that sparked people talking about it and more family friendly restaurants heard the cries and decided to go in the other direction. I don't really believe that this is the case, but I thought it might help get us back on topic ;)

I don't see the need for any nicknames. "Older persons" works just fine, or "Senior Citizens."

If you're lucky, you may get to be one someday. but not at the rate you're going:furious:!

being the old fogie that i am. i only eat smaller amounts. have learned that over eating is damned uncomfortable. hardly ever order dessert unless that is what the place is known for . i take comfort that "bill" will be an old fogie soon enough.

The most notable time for me was when we were in Disney World. If I'd ordered a "breakfast plate" I could have had eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage and toast all for $2.99 and the portion would have fed both my girls and myself. Instead, I bought what would normally be breakfast in our house. 4 pieces of fruit, 2 yogurts, a couple of bagels and a couple small bowls of cereal with milk = $27.00! Holy moly.

Interesting. I wonder if you had actually ordered this if you would have gotten what you expected. I travel a lot and notice that some breakfast staples at chain restaurants like Dennys are getting smaller and smaller.

Breakfasts sound abundant but when they arrive the 2 eggs are tiny, you can see through the bacon strips and the 'fruit' is a mouthful only. These breakfast platters are loaded with starches however and so the plates seem piled high. Scrape away the hashbrowns and biscuits and there's really not much substance.

Interesting. I wonder if you had actually ordered this if you would have gotten what you expected. I travel a lot and notice that some breakfast staples at chain restaurants like Dennys are getting smaller and smaller.

Breakfasts sound abundant but when they arrive the 2 eggs are tiny, you can see through the bacon strips and the 'fruit' is a mouthful only. These breakfast platters are loaded with starches however and so the plates seem piled high. Scrape away the hashbrowns and biscuits and there's really not much substance.

Janet, that is what I would have received. I watched many a plate go by. It was truly an amazing amount of food. It was easily 3 eggs (scrambled), about 1.5 cups of hashbrowns, 3 sausages and I didn't really count the bacon slices. Thats a lot of food for one person. The plates were nearly the size of the chargers I use on holidays. BIG!

Having said that, we were eating at the hotel. When we ate in any of the parks the portion sizes were large but not as outrageous.

I was recently at Maggiano's in NC and asked the waiter to box up 2/3 of my meal and I asked how many other of his customers do this. Without hesitation, he said 92%. What? They keep statistics and are fully aware that it's too much? Then why do they do it? What about those of us who were taught to eat everything on our plates? Or what about those of us who are missing that chemical thingy in the brain that tells us we're full...mercy

Do they think larger portions give the illusion of "best restaurant" ratings?

Are they afraid a customer might leave feeling hungry if they don't?

Are they trying to satisfy our efforts to dress up and drive there?

What countries are most guilty of outrageous portions? ...I think i suspect the ugly truth :-p

What specific restaurants are the worst "offenders"? ...not that I plan to make immediate reservations, mind you. :angel:

I totally agree with you on this, when we first went to the States we couldn't believe how much they put on the plate! After helping ourselves to the salad bar all 7 of us were full up, even the kids! (& they eat for England)!

However, the food was a lot cheaper than in Britain, everyone really enjoyed it & we could take doggy bags home. Unfortunately, that practise is frowned upon here, I expect it's because the portions are only minimal!

My mother would change your mind about older folks eating small portions. She had to move in with us because of finances and we support her, including her food bill. In fact, she has this very rude practice of eating fast, then going back for seconds and thirds trying to get as much as she can, often leaving nothing for anyone else if they want more. As bad as her finances were, she never in her life went without food.

We don't eat at a lot of chain restaurants... mostly locally-owned places. When we travel in the US, we do eat at the nicer chain restaurants, though. I think Cheesecake Factory gives outrageous portions. And when you're on the road, you can't take it with you. I hate the waste! :mad:

Oh, and having lived in Germany, I assure you that their portions are normal. No... America "takes the cake" for overfeeding their citizens to obesity. I've traveled all over the world and there is NO country like America when it comes to restaurant portions.

America "takes the cake" for overfeeding their citizens to obesity. I've traveled all over the world and there is NO country like America when it comes to restaurant portions.
Lets be careful not to lay the blame solely at the restaurants feet. People choose to go to these restaurants to eat. They could instead choose to make their own food and have reasonable portions and better quality food. They also do not have to eat everything on their plate just because it is served to them.

...They also do not have to eat everything on their plate just because it is served to them.

I grew up at a dinner table where my parents' mantra was to 'clean your plate (children are starving in Europe)'. Being a good little boy, I learned that well and, out of respect for my parents, continue though they are both gone.

So you see, I have to clean my plate.

Back
Top Bottom