Pan-fry is bad for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a customer in the past who is a relatively academically renowned microbiologist. He had me do a lot of work in his house, including stuff in his kitchen (I'm a metal man...stainless steel, etc.). He would often be preparing food for his lunch or breakfast and also otherwise we would just strike up conversations.

On the subject of frying, as I recall, he said frying, of any sort I think, somehow changes the molecular structure of foods, both vegetable and proteins. This change makes the molecules much more in the direction of cancerous, or "carcinogenic". Very similar to some reports about grilling/burning food.

I'm just reporting form memory, I dont know. I'm not going to live my life worrying about stuff like that. I'm only dieting now to lose weight. It has nothing to do with whatever the latest health advice is (it seems to change over time, remember when avocados and eggs were going to clog our arteries and kill us...now super-foods?). I just want to be lighter on my feet and more veral in my 50's.

It was an interesting conversation with him though. The dude has created all kinds of medical breakthroughs so he does know some stuff.

I went home, drank some martinis, deep fried some french fries and smoked a couple self-rolled filter-less cigarettes with some whiskey later!

Eat well, stay fit...and still die in a car crash regardless! Seriously, nobody wants to die, but who wants to live an entire life devoid of some of life's best pleasures? I cook using almost all methods, right, wrong or indifferent.

Last edited:
That would make a lot of sense. I wasn't 100% sure if it was pan frying. That's why I had to describe it.

Here in Texas, a lot of people refer to sautéing as "pan frying." So, it can be confusing.

As for health, it is mostly about how much oil (fat) get's absorbed by the food. Breading and batters absorb more fats than plain meat. Cooking with oil that is not hot enough slows down the cooking, which allows more fat to be absorbed.

Also, the kind of oil you use matters, because they have different kinds of fats. Olive oil and Canola oil are healthier than things like tropical oils, such as coconut oil. Using animal fats to sauté or pan fry would be the worst, health wise.

So, chicken fried steak cooked in lard would not be very good for you. But, sautéing some lean chicken or pork in olive oil is pretty healthy.

CD

I'm doubly damned! On the rare occasions I fry anything I often use butter.........the food police probably have me in their sights already!

Mad Cook and Farmer John, moderation is the key. I sometimes cook with bacon grease and/or butter, but not every day. My most used fat to cook with is olive oil. I like it, and it is relatively healthy. But, there are some times when frying in bacon grease is just the only way to get the flavor I want from a particular dish.

CD

Eat well, stay fit...and still die in a car crash regardless! Seriously, nobody wants to die, but who wants to live an entire life devoid of some of life's best pleasures? I cook using almost all methods, right, wrong or indifferent.

Full disclosure...I AM on a low carb diet though! BUT, thats for weight loss only, it'd be nice if my blood numbers improve as a result, haven't had the lab work since starting, but I simply got tired of being so fat...had nothing to do with trying to "eat right" but some improved eating habits are a decent byproduct.

I use animal fats too. I render beef tallow, chicken fat AND bacon grease...which reminds me, I have some a little long in the tooth in the fridge...been a while since I made a nice warm bacon grease salad dressing!...and the byproduct of making more bacon grease to replace that...of course...is bacon!:w00t2:

Full disclosure...I AM on a low carb diet though! BUT, thats for weight loss only, it'd be nice if my blood numbers improve as a result, haven't had the lab work since starting, but I simply got tired of being so fat...had nothing to do with trying to "eat right" but some improved eating habits are a decent byproduct.

I use animal fats too. I render beef tallow, chicken fat AND bacon grease...which reminds me, I have some a little long in the tooth in the fridge...been a while since I made a nice warm bacon grease salad dressing!...and the byproduct of making more bacon grease to replace that...of course...is bacon!:w00t2:

Like I said before on DC, you have to do what works for you. Listen to your body. It will tell you if you are not feeding it what it needs or wants.

CD

Back
Top Bottom