Preservatives causing drowsiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I`ve never heard of that happening before, but certain adatives are definately known to cause Hyperactivity in children (often coloring agents).
I guess it`s possible that other effects could also occur though.

Interesting question! :)

Candocook said:
Tryptophan in turkey does. But it is a naturally occurring substance in it.
This is true, but it only works on an empty stomach. The reason people get so sleepy on Thanksgiving is because they overeat, not because of the tryptophan.

parmesan cheese actualy contains a much larger dosage of Tryptophan gram per gram than turkey, and doesn`t cause this effect, although it`s a good "antidote" for menopausal hot flashes :)

GB, YT2095, and shpj4 get a gold star. Eating a large meal diverts blood flow away from the brain to the stomach for digestion ... thus causing drowsiness. Tryptophan is generally only a drowsiness factor when ingested on an empty stomach.

Now - back to the original question:

StirBlue said:
Do you think the preservatives in our foods cause drowsiness?

I would doubt it ... but if you have a specific preservative in mind I could look into it. Most of the food preservatives that I have looked into are naturally occuring and are more prone to cause hyperactivity than lethargy.

Yep, like Michael said, when you get full you get tired :) Michael, has anyone ever told you that you analyze things too much? No offense intended, I know your into food science.

Most of my food is "earth tones". Last year someone gave our dogs a gift of doggie treats which were brightly colored. We never gave them more than 1 or two a day and many days, we forgot to give them any. Our male dog (5 yrs) had a seizure and the vet did not find anything wrong with him. It probably was the food coloring. I did not know that it caused hyperactivity. He is a very energetic puppy type dog. The other dog (female & 5 yrs) is a couch potato when she is not outside.
His hair fell out all around him (not to the point of baldness), his eyes were bloodshot, and he slept a lot all week. He's okay now.
I haven't made them any doggie treats and maybe it's time for a batch.
..................................................................................................

Thanks for the info on preservatives.
Happy Holidays....

amber said:
Yep, like Michael said, when you get full you get tired :) Michael, has anyone ever told you that you analyze things too much? No offense intended, I know your into food science.

LOL .... actually - my thing is cardiopulmonary, cardiovascular and exercise physiology. My interest in nutrition was an offshoot of that.

Back
Top Bottom