Proof you can still enjoy cooking and baking while losing weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiceUmUp

Senior Cook
I make breads nearly every weekend. I don't eat very much of it but I enjoy the act of making the bread and the appreciative sounds of my friends and family eating it. Hear are todays production

img_219804_0_0ebd30c7891f714473ff64e6653b1ced.jpg
img_219804_1_7848edc2974a0aa4bef3a29a72e4d3da.jpg

Yowza, Spice! You've put your day to better use than I did mine. Hope you give yourself at least a little taste of these lovely loaves - just to make sure you did it right!

Hey, spiceumup, that bread is spectacular! I admire your self discipline! I am trying to remove some extra poundage as well! But I wouldn't be able to make all that yummy crusty bread without eating it up-along w/ a pound of butter and garlic spread! WELL DONE!!

wow those look GREAT! what recipe did you use, if you don't mind sharing? :)

Wow!! Those look so yummy!!! I love warm fresh bread!
I wish I lived in Jersey, I would follow my nose to you!

I am so impressed. Breadmaking is a true art...one which has defied me.

My Grandpa White never ate a slice of store-bought bread in his life. Grandma fired that cooking stove up every morning and made bread. I have her big blue bread bowl, but it hasn't done me any good.
In my young Sally Homemaker days, I was determined to become a bread baker. In later years, I tried it again, but I have never been any good at it. Can't get my dough to rise properly. I have been teased about my "5 pound loaf of bread". One friend told me I wasn't kneading it properly. She said it should be smooth as a baby's bottom when ready.

I've quit worrying about it...at this point in my life, I have enough challenges. If I'm craving that wonderful yeast smell in my kitchen, I buy frozen doughballs and make rolls.

Last edited:
Jenny said:
Did you make that bread in a machine? Homemade? Either way, dang!

Bread machine? What is this "bread machine" you speak off?

Nah, no bread machine but I do use a Kitchenaid Pro5+ to do the kneading but I do the all the work otherwise. Rolling the dough, forming the loaves, creating the recipe (As I did for the Pan Loaves)

Everything from scratch,, no mixes.

We usualy have company for dinner on Saturdays and I also give some of the loaves away to neighbors. I did allow myself to enjoy the fruits of my labor with a slice of two with a light skim of butter. I just eat lighter the rest of the day.

Egg White Bread

• 2 cups very warm water
  • 2 packets dry yeast
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp table salt
  • 7 cups AP or Bread Flour (I like King Arthur Sir Lancelot Flour)
  • ¼ tsp ascorbic acid (optional)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil.
  • 1 egg plus 4 tbsp water well beaten for glaze

In two cups of very warm water, dissolve the sugar and the yeast, stirring to dissolve, set aside.

In a KA mixer, place two cups of flour, the salt and the ascorbic acid. With the flat beater, blend the ingredients on setting 2 for 2-3 minutes.

By now the yeast/sugar water mixture should be foamy and bubbly. Give a couple of good stirs and add to the flour all at once while the flat beater is running at 2.

When you have a soupy blend, Stop the mixer, scrap the beater off and put in the dough hook. Lumpy is OK.

With the dough hook on, add the 4 eggs and the vegetable oil. Incorporate well and then add 4 level cups of flour. Knead until the dough pulls from the bowl, adding small amounts of the 7th cup. The dough should be slightly sticky.

Allow to rise covered in a bowl until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.

Form in to three equal sized loaves, a little over a pound each.

Place in well grease loaf pan and allow to rise covered again until doubled in size.

With a very sharp knife make a slit the length of the loaves, about a ½ inch deep.

Brush with egg glaze and bake in a 375 degree oven until golden brown and the internal temperature of the loaves reaches about 210 degrees. (I uses an instant read thermometer inserted in an inconspicuous place)

Remove from pans and Cool on a rack

Thank you for posting the recipe for us! It doesn't look too scary but I am not stupid! However, I will have to buy extra loaf pans cuz I only have the one. Is there any way to rise it in another type of pan?

How sweet is that to share with your neighbors! We live in the country, noone really communicates with their neighbors here. It would be so awesome to live where people know each other and get together!

how far away can one be considered a neighbor, spice?

those italian loaves look fantastic. would dipping in evoo, herbs, and fresh cracked pepper be ok with your diet?

Jenny said:
I keep seeing this 'evoo' and am wondering what the heck it is? some acronym for several things or an actual item?

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Now, forgive my ignorance but where is Bulldog contry?

Bucky, you can come by any time and get a loaf.

Jenny, I think the recipe would work fine if you just formed them in to round loaves and cooked them on a cookie sheet with a little corn meal spread on it to keep the loaves from sticking to the pan.

A little evoo and some fresh craked pepper is actually quite good in my diet as long as I keep it to a minimum: 1 slice of the french bread, and a tbsp of the oil.

thank you for sharing the recipe.. hmm where do you get ascorbic acid ?

:) hmm I actually have a bulk food store really close to me.... I wonder ? hmmmm THANKS for the idea

Back
Top Bottom