Recipe request for healthy bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fawn

Cook
any healthy bars that bakes at 250F that uses little to no fat?

fawn, these bars cook at 375 degrees F according to the directions, but I can see no reason they could not be baked at a lower temp. I just made this recipe yesterday for a road trip my husband is taking. It makes a large batch of bars, about three pounds. They are very filling and keep well on the road and are quite tasty.

Hinkelsteins or Oat Sticks

Preheat oven to 375*

Combine in a large bowl:

3 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups oat flour (blenderized oatmeal)
1/2 cup soy flour
2 t. salt
2 cups chopped dates
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecan meal)

Stir thoroughly, making sure the dates are coated with flour mixture.
Add:

1/2 cup oil
5 T. maple syrup
1 1/8 cup milk

Mix well. Divide into two greased 10"x15" jelly roll pans. Pat firmly and evenly. Cut into 1"x3" pieces with a pizza cutter. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Remove sticks around the edges if they brown before the center is done.

I have posted this recipe a few times before. This bars are a favorite of mine and others that I have shared the recipe with. The recipe is from Quaker Oats. These bars bake at 350 degrees F., but you could try baking them at a lower temperature for a longer time.

Chewy Fruit & Oatmeal Bars

¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
One 8-ounce container vanilla or plain low-fat yogurt
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. skim milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup diced dried mixed fruit, raisins, or dried cranberries

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk, and vanilla; mix well. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Add to yogurt mixture; mix well. Stir in oats and fruit. Spread dough onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom