South Beach diet suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feelslikehappy

Assistant Cook
I just started the Southbeach diet and Im already battling sugar cravings! On this diet, for the first two weeks I cant have fruit or most things with sugar. I heard about these sugar-free jell-o cups. So I got some and they’re delicious! I also like them with fat-free cool whip. Have any of you tried them before? What do you guys do when you get cravings?

My own version of pudding: low-fat cottage cheese, plain yogurt, sugar-free chocolate powder. Blend in blender until smooth. It is like a chocolate shake. It contains good amounts of protein, low in sugar and fat.

DH and I have consumed quite a few sugar free gelatins since he was diagnosed with diabetes. I get them in all flavors. I started to make some, but it seems a bit more special if I buy the little cups and we get our choice of flavors each time. I think it is a very good item. There are sugar free puddings also, but they have a good amount of carbs, just no sugar.

I think they make sugar-free chocolate Jello pudding now (in the individual cups).
I tried Southbeach a couple of summers ago but I found it to be too restrictive. Plus, I got scared of eating anything with Splenda in it, so I switched back to regular sugar.
Now, I just eat sweets/sugar in moderation, eat lots of fruit and veggies and walk, walk walk. Move more and eat less (thats my goal).

For south beach diet you should be having sugar free cool whip, not fat free cool whip. The sugar-free is slightly higher in calories (because of the calories from fat) but the diet is about cutting out sugar. The best sugar-free product out there is probably diet hot cocoa. It only has 25 calories a pack (makes 6-8 oz I believe) and tastes great. I did a blind test on my friend once to compare diet hot cocoa with regular and she tasted carefully several times and picked the diet. I was shocked that the one with 95 calories less actually tasted better, but I had to agree.

Try melted bitter-sweet chocolate with heavy whipped cream and make yourself a chocolate mousse. You can add some Equal or Splenda to make it sweeter. The sugar-free Strawberry/Banana jello topped with Cool Whip or heavy whipped cream is also great. Cream cheese whipped with cool whip or whipped cream and Equal is also a good dessert choice. Good luck.

I like the ricotta pudding recipes in the SB book and have one nearly everynight. It's just ricotta, splenda and some flavoring, like vanilla or another extract.

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom