Spaghetti Squash Stuffed with Chicken and Vegetables-Low Fat
SPAGHETTI SQUASH STUFFED WITH CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
Yield: Makes 4 servings.
Source: "1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes" by Surrey Books
- 2 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 pounds each),
cut lengthwise into halves, seeded
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 12-16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 medium Jerusalem artichokes (about 8 oz), peeled, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diagonally sliced
- 1-1/2 cups quartered mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3/4 - 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions and tops, thinly sliced
Place squash halves, cut side down, in large baking pan;
add 1/2 inch water. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F until
squash is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Scrape pulp into large
bowl, separating strands with fork; reserve shells.
Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium
heat until hot. Saute chicken, Jerusalem artichokes,
onion, carrots, mushrooms, celery, and garlic until
chicken is light brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in flour
and cook 1 minute longer.
Add tomatoes, broth, and marjoram to skillet; heat to
boiling. Cook, covered, until vegetables are tender,
about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
***Here is the final step: "Toss chicken mixture with spaghetti squash; spoon mixture into reserved squash shells. Sprinkle with green onions."
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 243, Fat: 3.3 g, Cholesterol: 51.7 mg, Sodium: 104 mg, Protein: 24.8 g, Carbohydrate: 30.8 g ++++ Diabetic Exchanges: 6 Vegetable, 2 Meat