Sugar - Can it be Healthy? (split)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sugar, like Salt is neither Healthy or unhealthy same with water too.

the fact is you need ALL of them to live! No seriously, remove any one of these from the diet and you will die!
inversely, too Much off any of this will have serious effects upon your system too.

Keyword: Moderation.

All sugars are the same, be they glucose, sucrose, dextrose, fructose, lactose, honey, or molasses. 15 empty calories per teaspoon, and each will jack up your blood sugar at the same rate. The only difference is the sugar's delivery method. If it's contained in fruits, vegetables, or whole grain baked goods, for instance, the fiber in those items will slow down the absorption of the sugar. However, if the sugar is contained in a product made with processed grains, i.e. cold breakfast cereals, Rice Krispie treats, doughnuts, pastries made with some type of refined flour, etc., or in a beverage, well, not only are you getting your blood sugar level jacked up by the sugar, but your body is converting the simple carbohydrates from the refined grain into sugar, too, for a double whammy!

What's even worse is high fructose corn syrup (hfcs). Food manufacturers have been using it, exclusively in some instances, for years because it is 10 times sweeter than sugar, and the cost is 10 times less, pound for pound. Unfortunately, when you ingest hfcs, your body doesn't recognize it as a sugar, so it doesn't signal your pancreas to release insulin to process the hfcs for delivery to your cells. It simply gets slapped onto your body as excess fat, usually in the most embarrassing location it can find. Look behind you, quick! WHOMP! THERE IT IS!

the reason for that is purely a Mechanical one (for wants of a better word), No sugar is "Bad" for you, refined is just more easily and quckly assimilated, that`s all.
when combined, the Stomach is busy doing plenty other things too, and so the rate of absorbtion is slower.
Purely a mechanistic effect.

I think white unrefined sugar is unhealthy.
Bad for the waistline, as well as the teeth.
Mel

It is quite disingenuous to come on a public forum and say "sugar is bad". What are the parameters? Who are you talking about? Why is it bad for every single person in the whole wide world? For goodness sake.

There is no such thing as unrefined white sugar. White sugar is made by squeezing the cane, boiling the juice, then extracting the molasses. To make brown sugar, the producers take the refined white sugar, and put molasses back into it.

I use unrefined sugar, either turbinado or demerara, every day in coffee, instead of flour when dusting a greased cake pan, and when a recipe calls for sugar of any kind. Why, you ask? Is it healthier? No. Does it absorb slower? No. Is it cheaper? Not only no, but **** no! It costs 3 times what white sugar does. I happen to like the way it makes things taste!

Last edited by a moderator:
Candocook

Yes, white unrefined sugar is bad for everybody. It is not like rat poison and wont kill us, but it is not healthy.

It plays havoc, with our blood sugar level.

Unfortunately, it is in almost every processed food product available in the shops,

I always use unrefined sugar or honey, in my cooking.

I do buy a limited number of processed products, containing refined sugar, because ones made with healthier sugar are often very expensive.

I dont know what disingenous means, so I cant comment on, whether I am or not.

Mel

Hello Caine

Not all brown sugar, is made by colouring white sugar.
I buy raw cane sugar. It is a golden brown colour.

Mel

PS. I have just read the rest of your post and I see that u already know what raw cane sugar is. But, I probably have to leave this post here, because I am not sure i can delete the text and post a blank.

Last edited:
I am still trying to figure out why refined white sugar costs $1.33 a pound, brown sugar, where they had to turn around and put the molasses back, is $1.23 a pound, yet unrefined C&H turbinado sugar is $3.99 for a two pound bag and the Sugar in the Raw brand is $4.40 for a two pound box! The more labor intensive the product, the less it costs? That makes no sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom