Sugar - Can it be Healthy? (split)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sugar products are not healthy no.

But natural sugars from fruits and other non processed foods are fine.

Corey, it seems like a lot of the food you list don't seem to be helpful with type II diabetes. These Granola bars and yogurt bars are loaded with sugar that are going to send your blood sugar all over the place. Sure they may be helpful when you are on the low side of your Blood sugar.

Ideally you should be eating non processed carbs (processed carbs are quicker digesting and will cause more dramatic flucuations in your blood glucose) Stick to Brown Rice, Sweet Potatoes, Oatmeal, Oat bran. Balance your diet with Proteins, Complex carbs, and healthy fats. and try to eat 5-6 meals a day, to keep your blood sugar levels consistent.

IainDaniel said:
Sugar products are not healthy no.

But natural sugars from fruits and other non processed foods are fine.

Corey, it seems like a lot of the food you list don't seem to be helpful with type II diabetes. These Granola bars and yogurt bars are loaded with sugar that are going to send your blood sugar all over the place. Sure they may be helpful when you are on the low side of your Blood sugar.

Ideally you should be eating non processed carbs (processed carbs are quicker digesting and will cause more dramatic flucuations in your blood glucose) Stick to Brown Rice, Sweet Potatoes, Oatmeal, Oat bran. Balance your diet with Proteins, Complex carbs, and healthy fats. and try to eat 5-6 meals a day, to keep your blood sugar levels consistent.

Actually, I don't eat as much sugar as you seem to think I do.

But then again, who on earth eats cereal, any kind without a little sugar? Except maybe yourself.

My nutritionist did not say eat sweets all the time, but she DID say that sugar simply can't be eliminated altogether. Yes, OJ is naturally sweet, has lots of sugar and helps gets the glucose level back to normal.

But I found myself having those attacks at least twice daily! Mainly in the afternoon. And I don't eat the granola bars all the time. Only when an attack starts to come on.

And oh yes, speaking of sugar, the nutritionist also suggested that I keep some candy around as well. Sorry, but also, when I bake now and then, no one on the face of the earth bakes a cake, pie or cookies without sugar in them.

Last edited:
Well I have to say I always eat oatmeal without sugar! I add blueberries or other sliced fruit.(no canned)
I think we as a society have become addicted to sugar.
In the last few years I've made some big changes in our way of eating, I belong to a food coop. I never buy boxed anything. So that means I do the outside edges of the grocery store. Fruits and vegies and the organic and natural and I'm done!
nancylee

In Uk many people consider suger on porridge to be a travesty or an indulgence too far! In Scotland, and some other Britsh families, you eat porridge with a little salt. In my family we have salt, fruit, or on high day and holidays we do have sugar: brown sugar and cream! But not sugar every day. I think in general when you cut down on sugar you notice the flavours of things more. It takes a while, but it does happen. I have blood sugar probs, and I notice I have faint-wobblies far less frequently when my overall intake of simple sugars is low, and in general I feel more well. That does not mean I always live like that though! when I do however I do notice I get a faint-wobbly later in the day when I break my sugar ban, eg if I have cake at eleven I NEED something sweet in the mid afternoon. That is what makes it such a tough cycle to break. :(

nancylee said:
Well I have to say I always eat oatmeal without sugar! I add blueberries or other sliced fruit.(no canned)
I think we as a society have become addicted to sugar.
In the last few years I've made some big changes in our way of eating, I belong to a food coop. I never buy boxed anything. So that means I do the outside edges of the grocery store. Fruits and veggies and the organic and natural and I'm done!
nancylee

Ever since were kids, we've always had sugar on our cereal, hot or cold, unledss the cereal was already sweetened.

I do not eat cereal without sugar, and I'm not about to start now.

Corey123 said:

Come on Corey, you have done so well with other changes to your life. Those tablespoons of sugar can really mess up that blood sugar. Try some fruit cut up on your cereal instead, you will be surprised at how it sweetens things up.

Corey123 said:
Ever since were kids, we've always had sugar on our cereal, hot or cold, unledss the cereal was already sweetened.

I'm not going to attempt to convince you to do otherwise, but just know that Splenda (sucralose) is a very worthy sugar substitute, especially on cereal.

Andy M. said:
Are you suggesting any amount of sugar is not healthful?
It's a little more complicated than that. I think sugar in the form of fructose has a much smaller impact on blood glucose levels than does table sugar. Depending on one's fitness goals, sugars in the form of dextrose can be used beneficially for glycogen replenishment and to elicit an insulin response post-workout.

But table sugar... I believe the more you can stay away from that the better off you are. Molasses and honey make good natural sweetners, and sucralose is even better for maintaining consistent blood sugar levels. Yes, table sugar tastes great and it's hard to bake sweets and treat without it. What does that mean for someone who is very health conscious? Keep them to a minimum.

Aside from their effects on diabetics, I don't think one form of sugar is more or less healthful than another. Sucrose, fructose, glucose, etc. are all naturally occurring sugars which are harmless in moderation.

Alix said:
Come on Corey, you have done so well with other changes to your life. Those tablespoons of sugar can really mess up that blood sugar. Try some fruit cut up on your cereal instead, you will be surprised at how it sweetens things up.

My glucose level gets so low at times that i have to keep a check on it quite often. The other day, I got a level of 62 on the meter, and that's considered pretty low.

It NEVER got THAT low before! That's considered going on the danger level. I DO at times, eat bananas on cereal.

EatsOats, I DO have Domino De'Lite, a low-cal sweetner that's similar to Splenda. And I use it at times, but too much of it makes your food and drink taste like medicine.

And these sweetners are also ridiculously overpriced! For a 3-lb bag, it can run you about $7 to $9!!

Last edited:
Corey, try unsweetened apple sauce in your oatmeal. And fruit, I buy frozen blueberries and run them under some warm water and toss them into the oatmeal! Very tasty!

I know its hard, but oatmeal taste sooo much better without any added sugar!

Andy M. said:
Aside from their effects on diabetics, I don't think one form of sugar is more or less healthful than another. Sucrose, fructose, glucose, etc. are all naturally occurring sugars which are harmless in moderation.
Agreed in Moderation, and where your moderation line depends on your lifestyle.

What is the point of Table sugar? Nothing really, It provides nothing.

However fruits for example have many nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, and fibre. Plus the fructose you ingest is used to replenish liver glycogen.

Any complex carb you consume is converted to glucose to replenish gylcogen stores in the body, not the ups and downs such as being provided from simple sugars.

What is the difference between fruit/complex carbs and sugar? The form they come in.

Table sugar is broken down pretty quickly and wil cause a quick insulin burst and then a low.

Where as complex carbs when consumed the digestion process is slowed down from the additional fibre. So if you are eating every 2-3 hours you have a steady stream of energy being fed to the body.

Corey123 said:
Actually, I don't eat as much sugar as you seem to think I do.

But then again, who on earth eats cereal, any kind without a little sugar? Except maybe yourself.

My nutritionist did not say eat sweets all the time, but she DID say that sugar simply can't be eliminated altogether. Yes, OJ is naturally sweet, has lots of sugar and helps gets the glucose level back to normal.

But I found myself having those attacks at least twice daily! Mainly in the afternoon. And I don't eat the granola bars all the time. Only when an attack starts to come on.

And oh yes, speaking of sugar, the nutritionist also suggested that I keep some candy around as well. Sorry, but also, when I bake now and then, no one on the face of the earth bakes a cake, pie or cookies without sugar in them.

I was just trying to provide something for you to think about. Diabetes is a very serious issue, and not something to play around with, as it has serious consequences.

Food choices and meal timing are going to be the key to controlling blood sugar issues.

Cakes, pie and cookies are fine but you have to remember they should be looked at as a treat for maybe eating cleanly all week, then treat yourself sunday night with some cookies or a slice of pie.

However that said, the choice is yours.

IainDaniel said:
...What is the point of Table sugar? Nothing really, It provides nothing...

It provides flavor and energy. It has it's place.

Medical and physiological reasons are not the only reasons for eating a food. I don't want a strawberry in my morning coffee, I want sucrose (it dissolves faster).

Many common ingredients we use in cooking are there for their flavor and for no other reason. That's not a bad thing.

Andy M. said:
It provides flavor and energy. It has it's place.

Medical and physiological reasons are not the only reasons for eating a food. I don't want a strawberry in my morning coffee, I want sucrose (it dissolves faster).

Many common ingredients we use in cooking are there for their flavor and for no other reason. That's not a bad thing.
It does provide flavour, but there are alternatives.

I wonder how long the strawberry would take to dissolve :ROFLMAO:

Most of the ingredients don't have the impact that sugar has. Especially considering the use of sugar in today's society.

Like you said though in moderation it is fine. However people with Diabetes need to look at this a more strictly.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy baked goods and and many products that contain sugar, but many people don't know where to draw the line, and are uncertain what healthy eating is. I am just providing another point of view. Society in general has become very lazy with there food prep. and in turn we are dealing with a obesity problem. Yes I realize sugar isn't the only culprit.

Iain, you are right on the money about refined sugar for diabetics. Because it is so easily metabolized it really messes with that lovely steady line folks are looking for in their blood sugars.

Andy, your comment about the strawberry made me laugh so hard. And yes, sugar DOES have its place and one of those places is all about flavour. For diabetics, especially fragile ones (as Corey's description of himself indicates he is) sugar is a big no no. You really have to make major lifestyle changes FIRST and then look at putting some of that sweet flavour back in your diet.

Corey, I don't know if this description will help you at all but I'll offer it anyway.
Think of your years of life as a line. When you have peaks and valleys in your blood sugar it shortens your life. Picture a string laid out and when you push up with your finger, the string's length gets shorter, and down is the same. I wish I could illustrate that on here, but you'll just have to use your imagination. Maintaining a near constant blood sugar level is critical to a healthy life.

One of the fruit bars we have is the Lara bar. It is dates, nuts,coconut, nothing else. A good snack.
The problem with rice crispie bars and the like is they are processed foods loaded with sugar and unhealthy fats and high GI starches. low in micronutrients.
The white flour should be as much of a concern as the sugar. The starch in this highly pulverized form has a higher glycemic index than sugar and occurs in many breads and pasteries and many other foods. A great contributor to the epidemic of obesity. But who asked me! just my opinion.

IainDaniel said:
Agreed in Moderation, and where your moderation line depends on your lifestyle.

What is the point of Table sugar? Nothing really, It provides nothing.

My DH wants no food that has white granulated table sugar added to it. He eats an enormous bowl of oatmeal most mornings that contains milk, water, oats and a small amount of salt. He is hypoglycemic and feels white table sugar is a poison in his body.

Yet I buy white table sugar by the 5 pound bag, to make bread.

It has been stated already in this thread, but bears repeating. The human body can not tell the source of sugar/glucose on the molecular level. Once I understood that, I quit trying to cook and bake with honey or any other "natural" sugars. I buy the cheapest white sugar available.

Most bread recipes call for white sugar. I could not make bread without sugar. But I now realize that the NY Times bread does not use sugar!

Back
Top Bottom