Tuesday weigh in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Congratulations, ladies! I'm happy that everyone is moving towards their goals! :D After you all become supermodels, don't ignore the rest of us, okay! :LOL: ;)

amber said:
I could use some support with my execise!

Think of it as your time to yourself. When I exercise I think of nothing else, but me. When I run on the treadmill it is a great stressless time. I just thing of how wonderful it will be when I am thinner. You can do it, amber.

I lost have lost 4 lbs. total. WooHoo!! I weighed myself today, because we are having a wellness challenge at work. We get so many points for every pound that we use and for different types of exercising. We even get credit for snowshoveling. 1 hour of snowshoveling equals 4.5 miles of walking.

I have allways wondered about this:

Why do people buy, and use expensive exercise items like a treadmill, or an exercise bicycle?

Surely, all you need is a halfway decent pair of trainers, a tracksuit or running shorts, and you can get our in the open air and do it. Even WITH snow on the ground. Or a bicycle.

And I am sure that there are plenty of places in the USA where simply going out on the street is NOT an invitation to robbery or rape.

What is the answer please (from those that have them).

i hate jogging/running, besides being somewhat strenuous over time on the knees, hips, and back. bicycling can be tough in bad weather, and in-line skating (my fav workout next to swimming) is next to impossible when the ground is wet.
forget bicycling in the city, or make sure your insurance is paid up. the favorite hood ornament on a nyc taxi is a crosshairs.
i have a stationary bike with magnetic resistance so it is quiet and can vary workouts. it is boring, but you can read or watch tv while you get your workout in.

Darkstream, for me the advantage to a treadmill is it forces me to keep at a faster pace, or risk falling off of the treadmill. I often go through phases where I will love the treadmill, then others when I will love running outside. I don't care for running too much (lazy) but love walking. When I am outside, because I like it and am lazy, I tend to stop jogging and start walking. Even though I know I need to keep at the faster pace for a better cardio work out/fat loss :?

Oh, I also forgot to post...for those of you trying to loose weight, I really encourage you to keep track of your measurements as well as your weight. Trust me, take it from someone who has been fighting to loose weight for the last year. (slowly creeping to my goal)

Taking measurements will also keep you motivated. There are times when I don't loose weight but my measurements are down. Good luck!

Down 1 more pound. :)

Darkstream, I like my Fast Track 2 for a few reasons. When the weather is really bad, it is hard to walk around here (dirt and gravel road), sometimes by the time I have the time to exercise it is too dark (country--not a lot of light out here), and with my occasional knee problems, the Fast Track 2 allows me to "walk" as long as I want to, since I don't have to pick my feet up so it is no impact. I really would like to get out walking more. I used to walk everywhere when I lived in California. My intention was not for the FT2 to replace regular walking, but rather to go along with it. At the moment, the only walking I get in is at work!

:) Barbara

Darkstream said:

Why do people buy, and use expensive exercise items like a treadmill, or an exercise bicycle? Surely, all you need is a halfway decent pair of trainers, a tracksuit or running shorts, and you can get our in the open air and do it. Even WITH snow on the ground. Or a bicycle ... What is the answer please.
I loathe exercise. I always have. For me it isn't about the exercise, it's about getting through it with as little misery as possible. I have a treadmill set up a few feet from the television, and I walk during my favorite soap so I have something enjoyable to concentrate on other than the exercise itself. That's the only way it'll happen.

I accept this, and it doesn't bother me. Doing 30 minutes brisk walking five days a week is positively heroic for me, and I give myself plenty of attaboys when I do it. I admire those who do serious exercise and athletics, and wish more power to them, and absolutely want no part of it for myself. If I didn't have some means of exercising that allowed me to concentrate on something else, I wouldn't do it, no matter what was at stake.

Cats

Thanks PDS and Sierra, your encouragement helped alot. I exercised today on the glider machine, did some weights, crunches, and then walked outside for half an hour. My goal last week was to exercise four times per week, but I ony did three days. Maybe I'll do it this week. I'll probably get on the exercise bike tonight.

amber said:
Thanks PDS and Sierra, your encouragement helped alot. I exercised today on the glider machine, did some weights, crunches, and then walked outside for half an hour. My goal last week was to exercise four times per week, but I ony did three days. Maybe I'll do it this week. I'll probably get on the exercise bike tonight.

I'm really starting to like my bike. I've only done 46 miles so far but, like I told Paul a minute ago... that's 46 more miles than I've done in the past. I have it placed where I can see and hear the tv perfectly and ride while I'm watching my favorite day time shows. I'd like to get a treadmill too one of these days ... but, I have to wait until "my ship" comes in. :D !

I think it's GREAT Amber that you did so much. Everyone has to start somewhere. One step at a time to a healthier YOU!!

I'm really proud of all of us for making the effort. We're doing GOOD!

Darkstream said:

Why do people buy, and use expensive exercise items like a treadmill, or an exercise bicycle?
It's not so bad. Some days I want to take my treadmill and back over it with a dump truck though. I just turn up the tunes and that helps.

Darkstream said:

Surely, all you need is a halfway decent pair of trainers, a tracksuit or running shorts, and you can get our in the open air and do it. Even WITH snow on the ground. Or a bicycle.

And I am sure that there are plenty of places in the USA where simply going out on the street is NOT an invitation to robbery or rape.

What is the answer please (from those that have them).

I use the treadmill that we have in the gym at work. I also do exercise outside, but somedays just are not conducive to being outside without freezing your butt off or getting buried in a snowstorm. Plus right now all the streets are choked with snow and it is suicide to walk on the street with the traffic and ice. We have a very safe community and I exercise alot outside in the good weather months.

pdswife1 said:
amber said:

I'm really starting to like my bike. I've only done 46 miles so far but, like I told Paul a minute ago... that's 46 more miles than I've done in the past. I have it placed where I can see and hear the tv perfectly and ride while I'm watching my favorite day time shows. I'd like to get a treadmill too one of these days ... but, I have to wait until "my ship" comes in. :D !

I think it's GREAT Amber that you did so much. Everyone has to start somewhere. One step at a time to a healthier YOU!!

I'm really proud of all of us for making the effort. We're doing GOOD!

Thats what I do too PDS, I have my exercise equipment situated so I can see the tv or just listen to music, it helps! Time goes by fast when your watching tv and not concentrating on the exercise.

I am so proud of everyone. You all are doing such a great job. Keep up the good work and you will see the results that you want.

Your friend, SC

101.gif

Back
Top Bottom