Vegetarians at DC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, we are not vegetarians, BUT, LOL.
Her way, very little meat lots of veggies. Me, lots of meat with a lot less veggies, LOL. We mostly balanced each other out, and over the years came up with a system where we would alternate between trying vegetarian dishes she wanted and our 'regular' routine of smaller portions of meat and larger portions of fruits and veggies. I found there were plenty of veggie dishes that I liked, especially Indian dishes, and thought we were doing pretty good especially since I grew up on "meat and potatoes".
Now, thanks to heart disease and high cholesterol, I am letting her take more of the lead on what we eat. I still do most of the cooking, but I am letting her introduce new veggie dishes into my list of recipes.
It has helped, cholesterol is way down now. The funny thing is I never thought I could handle eating meals that were not 'centered' around big hunks of meat like roasts and whole birds and such. But now half of our meals don't have meat in them, and the other half have meat as an 'ingredient' not the 'center piece'.
Oh, and sometimes that heavy need to take a nap feeling you get after a meal is not necessarily from meat. I get that way with any meal containing lots of carbohydrates whether or not they have meat in them.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do have a hard time eating more than a few bites of meat and eggs at a time. Not sure if there is something in them that I just can't digest, but I can't even swallow them after a few bites, especially big hunks of meat.. Gross. They all turn my stomach and if I eat more than a few bites I feel sick.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do have a hard time eating more than a few bites of meat and eggs at a time. Not sure if there is something in them that I just can't digest, but I can't even swallow them after a few bites, especially big hunks of meat.. Gross. They all turn my stomach and if I eat more than a few bites I feel sick.

I have no such problem with meat, but eggs.... I have the same problem now that you do. If I eat any for breakfast (or anytime before noon) they make me sick:sick:. If I eat more than a couple of bites in the afternoon, I get a little sick to my stomach, but uh it stays down LOL.

I have no idea why this is, I grew up on eggs in the morning and chowed them down no problems!:wacko:

This household is not vegetarian, but, I do think 4 ounces of protein is enough for anyone for anyday. Lean. Legumes qualify, cheese qualifies, eggs qualify. Not everyone here agrees. And I'm not saying we never have bacon or limit ourselves rigidly, just moderately. What I buy is healthy, so 90 percent of it is healthy.
Here is the issue, the studies I've read say that diets high in animal products are linked to disease and cancer. Now, I love my veggies, whole grains, fruits (okay), legumes........why not eat healthy and just limit protein to 4 ounces per day? So I try.
BTW, my cholesterol is excellent now, though my blood pressure is not.
An acquaintance at work yesterday commented, 'you eat so healthy', (she sees me deny myself double chocolate cake, donuts, cookies, etc) and I know I do, and the doc was very impressed with my bloodwork, but even exercise (walking 750 miles over 5 months) and diet hasn't helped my blood pressure.
Cutting back on proteins for health is a step in the right direction but I haven't found all the secrets of health. ~Bliss

I am veg because I had more reasons to be veg then not. The only reason I had to be veg was convience. Meat is EVERYWHERE. It is sooo easy to eat if you don't mind what is in it. My reasons not to eat meat are the classic ones everyone has: taste (steak and fish especilly taste aweful. Other things have werid textures and then you find a tendon or something... ewwww), animals, enviroment, health, etc.

I'm mostly a vegetarian. I eat a tuna sandwich about once a month or less. I don't care if stuff has sock in it. I used to, but got too tired to care. :)

Back
Top Bottom