Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Do restaurants in your area serve water as a matter of course. Or do you have to ask for it! Here water must be served!

I put this in the health forum as I think it is a health issue, but if some of you "forum police":ermm: wanna relocate it then Go for it!!:LOL:

Here we always get water on the table.

Just came back from a vacation in the UK, and they always asked if you wanted water. And then they tried to sell you some.

Just had to say tap water and they would bring it to you, gratis, grudgingly.

Of course, for lunch or dinner we usually ordered some wine and did not need their water.

That water on the table is a matter of priority to me. My tip "if I leave thirsty" no tip! :glare: Water on the table is a matter of hospitality. :)

Around here, you have to ask for it. In fact, it's been years since I've been served a glass of water as a matter of course, here or anywhere else.

Some do and some don't. I usually ask for water as soon as they bring the menu. Whatever I have I like to finish up with water.

We are always served water here. As a matter of fact a couple of years ago our water was rated #1 in the whole United States. When I am traveling I always get bottled water.

Depends on where we go. We have a few favorties we go to on fridays with friends and again on sunday for our date..These places know us so the minute they seat us, they are right back with large glasses of icy water with lemon. Places we are trying for the first time, we usually have to ak for water.

kadesma:)

Ok a little further investigating here revealed...If you order food, water must be served if no beverage is ordered, tea coke etc. However most establishments here bring water as a courtesy as a matter of course. A lot of the time when/as the menu is presented. It seems the health issue is if a patron is eating and chokes and there is no water on the table..the restaurant could face legal issues...So a glass of water is cheap insurance!

In UK, its true, water has to be asked for. I've never been pressured to buy water, if I want tap water I ask for a jug of tap water. Quite often I want mineral water though.

In Italy its expected you'll have bottled water, the question is always only whether it should be still or sparkling. It is obviously extra on the bill too. Its ok. Tap water here has been....variable. At the last house our tap water was fine, I liked it, here its not so good, I drink bottled.

redkitty said:
I always buy the bottled water at restaurants here, the tap water is awful!

Bristol water is very hard, making it good for your heart, teeth and bones. I love it, but that's where I grew up and I'm used to it. My gran used to live in Plymouth, where the water is soft. To my palate, it tasted like it had soap in it.

As for serving water, it comes if you order it here in Spain. And if you order it, you pay for it.

Katie Have you forgotten about the woodshed???
Buck, You better behave and treat her right.

They always come to the table and ask what we would like to drink. I always ask for water and no other drink.
Marge

Where I live in Kazakhstan if you don't "specify" the brand of water they will bring you bottled water that costs nearly $8 dollars for a SMALL bottle of approx. 12 oz. We found that out the hard way when we got the bill one night for a group of 10 and the water cost more than the alcohol. In Houston, most well-known places are happy to bring you water with lemon or lime if you ask and are diligent in keeping them refilled. At least that's been my experience so far.

Back
Top Bottom