Weigh In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, jkath. I'm still here, and not completely ripped just yet!

Way to go on the abs definition - that's gonna be my project for over the summer. Tell me about the kinds of crunches you are doing. I may add that as a "secondary" exercise on my off days.

During all ab workouts, visualize what the muscles are doing. If you can't feel them working, you're doing no good.

It is really important to do all of these on a cushioned exersize mat or you could really hurt yourself!!!

1. The plank: lay down, on your stomach, feet together. Rise up, using elbows (hands are clasped underneath your chest) and toes only. Whole body is completely flat. Hold this for as long as possible (try for 60 seconds to begin, then work to a longer time)

2. Side to side: Sit down, knees bent, feet together, back straight. Twist a bit, so your hands (which are together) touch the ground to your right, while your feet (still together) are touching the ground to the left. The only thing that should be steady on the ground is your bottom Switch. Do about 30 of these at a time (which should take 15 seconds total), rest for 15 seconds, then do another 2 sets.

3. Straight Legs: Lay on your mat so that the edge of the mat is about 6-10" above your head. Grasp the edge with your hands (right next to each other) and make sure you are laying flat on your back, straight as can be. Keeping legs and toes together, lift your legs up so your body is at a 90 degree angle. Slowly put them down to the ground, visualizing your abs working. Do this 10 times.
3a. Straight, to the right side: Same as above, but rather than going straight up, have your legs go up to a 45 degree angle (picture someone standing next to where your legs were when they were straight up, but over about a foot to the right. Try to touch the person)(do 10 of these)
3b. Straight, to the left side: Same, only the other way. (10 of these)
Finish by doing another 10 of the original straights.

4. Sit down, knees bent, feet and legs together. Put your hands on the mat behind you. Bring up knees so they are parallel to the floor, while making a "V" with your body. Push legs out, still parallel to the ground, so the "V" gets wider. Think "skinny V", "wide v" Do this 30 times, rest 30 seconds, repeat 2 times.

That's all for now - must get the next load of laundry out!

Hopefully this helps!

once you've done those at least 4 or 5 days, let me know and I'll give you the next set to add to those - you will love it!

jkath, about these ab crunches

Got me a mat this morning and did your crunches. However, I can't see #3/3a being very good for your back. Felt quite the strain there. Due to weak abs, ya think?

Keep your back flat to the mat. Use your abs. (use the force, luke) Let your abs do all the work. I'm very proud of you! How long were you able to hold the plank? (#1) I had a friend of mine try it at the gym and she lasted about 25 seconds before she muttered something unintelligible.

OK, I'll try the flat back technique. Not sure how long I held the plank, but it wasn't long. Will have to try it when someone else is around to time me.

I had to say, I've been shopping!!!!! No more size 26's (that's 22's to you guys) I am in a 22 (which is an 18 to you) confused yet????

I have bought two pairs of black work trousers, a white cross over to shirt, a strappy going out top, a sleeveless pink work out top, a white blouse and matching embroidered skirt (I had a job interview so it had to be done) and a pair of workout pants, again in pink.

No more shopping now til size 18 (14), by which time I can shop in normal shops instead of the plus sizes!!! And I bought my 20 pound loss perfume, Wild Fig and Cassis. The lady sprayed some Necatrine and Honey on the paper she wrapped the perfume in, so guess what my 40 pound reward will be???? LOL!!!!

I'll try your ab exercises (If I have any abs that is, not seen any sign of them in centuries!!!) Ms Jkath. I love my gym now, been going since Feb, and have been minimum three times a week every week since, no skipping!!! And I am swimming again!!!! I have never been so active, who knew I loved exercise so much??? The eliptical is my favourite, I have gone from nearly dying after 10 minutes to sailing through 30 minutes on a hill program! Oh and I do weights now as well.

No wonder I have been MIA!!!!

KYLES! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!
I am so proud of you!!!
I love the eliptical too, but must confess I have an addiction to the stairmaster....
Doesn't it feel great to buy new clothes!! and especially pink ones to boot!
What company makes the wild fig & cassis? I'm not sure, but it sounds like one I saw at Sephora recently. They also have one that is a chocolate based fragrance(!)
My "ab-toning" gift was some "Pink Sugar" bath gel. It's my current favorite perfume and I got to treat myself to it when I finally saw the "oval" cut.
Again, I think you are doing an awesome job - please please keep us updated on your great works!

kyles said:
I had to say, I've been shopping!!!!! No more size 26's (that's 22's to you guys) I am in a 22 (which is an 18 to you) confused yet????

I have bought two pairs of black work trousers, a white cross over to shirt, a strappy going out top, a sleeveless pink work out top, a white blouse and matching embroidered skirt (I had a job interview so it had to be done) and a pair of workout pants, again in pink.

No more shopping now til size 18 (14), by which time I can shop in normal shops instead of the plus sizes!!! And I bought my 20 pound loss perfume, Wild Fig and Cassis. The lady sprayed some Necatrine and Honey on the paper she wrapped the perfume in, so guess what my 40 pound reward will be???? LOL!!!!

I'll try your ab exercises (If I have any abs that is, not seen any sign of them in centuries!!!) Ms Jkath. I love my gym now, been going since Feb, and have been minimum three times a week every week since, no skipping!!! And I am swimming again!!!! I have never been so active, who knew I loved exercise so much??? The eliptical is my favourite, I have gone from nearly dying after 10 minutes to sailing through 30 minutes on a hill program! Oh and I do weights now as well.

No wonder I have been MIA!!!!

Kyles, doesn't exercising feel good. I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work. I also feel much better after exercising. Like you I have been exercising 3-4 times per week. I wish I had somewhere to go swimming, but I consider myself lucky to have a gym at work. I permanently have my workout clothes packed in the car. If you get a chance, take a beginners pilates or yoga class. I do pilates on my own at home. It feels so good to work all those muscles. Don't forget to stretch before and after your exercise routine.

Good Job!! :clap: :clap:

The perfume is made by a company called Jo Malone, a very small English manufacturer. She has quite a range of scents, maybe I should start making them 10 pound rewards and then I could get the whole set!!!! LOL (I would also be too poor to buy clothes.

I haven't tried yoga or pilates yet, the classes at my works gym are all wrong for me, but I have joined my local gym (which is too small for classes) but have rights to their big sister gym. I am on holidays this week so I will give it a try.

The exercise has been the biggest change for me. Prior to January I did nothing, nada, not a thing - now I can't wait to hit the gym!!!

I just bought my first boxing gloves today and I'm starting a class on Wednesday mornings. I can't wait (but I hope the others who've been doing it a long time don't intimidate me too much!)

70 pounds! WOW!!!
that is absolutely wonderful, Rob!!!

Are you doing a sport or going to the gym too?
Tell us how you did it!

Guys! I started by cardio boxing class today and it was fantastic! What a rush!
This is something I could see you getting into as well, Kyles - have you tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom