Weigh In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't posted in this thread before, but after going to the rheuma doc on Monday and finding I'd gained 3 lbs, I'm going to read thru and see what is proving beneficial to all who are losing. Time to get serious - I'm not buying fatter clothes!!!!

I have been reading this thread for a while and have finally decided the time has come to go back on a diet. My jeans now push a new roll of fat over the top- I have been in a kind of denial and immediately turn to chocolate when I feel depressed about my weight which obviously in turn makes me more depressed. (Gosh, now my flawed personality is really coming out) I have always had weight issues in my mind but until I was put on a mediaction 4 years ago never was really overweight in reality. Last year I lost about 10lb doing Weight watchers and felt happier but it has all crept back on. I just converted my weight to pounds and realised I weigh 146lb and I'm 5"4 (I hope thats how you do feet!) I need support to not reach for chocolate when I'm depressed. I may haunt this place!!!
I need to do this healthily and sensibly cause I have a 13 yr old who already says she is fat and she weighs 38kg (think thats about 80lbs) She is tiny but my dad says things to her like "don't eat that you'll get fat" it makes me angry cause thats how body image problems start. I look forward to sharing healthy, tasty recipes which won't make me feel deprived lol.

MrsMac - Kyles (another Aussie, but living in the UK now) has been a shining light here.... She has lost so much weight - and I know she won't mind me saying she was REALLY overweight. :mrgreen: But, she decided (noone else can decide it for you) to do something about changing her lifestyle - not dieting....

She says she hated exercise, but now really enjoys it - she is a great role model - read through her early posts on dieting etc!

Good luck - and it's great that you have decided that the time is now right to tackle the problem.

And have a quiet word with your Dad. I HATE when people give youngsters a complex re what they eat (Mind you, I don't like to see a kid with a huge McD meal every day, either!) - it is not helpful. I'm sure he doesn't realise he's doing it, or the effect of what he says, in light of the female fixation re weight....

The important thing is to try to tell yourself that you hate being fat more than you love chocolate. Sure, sometimes you'll have a moment of weakness, but it's also important not to beat yourself up when you do. If you fall off the wagon, don't tell yourself it's hopeless- vow you'll start over tomorrow and try to do better.

Getting active will really help. I feel better at 36 than I did at 26, and that's the truth. I'm really not in all that great of shape, but I'm improving steadily.

You might also want to look into sugarless alternatives. Personally, although it's probably sacriledge to a true chocoholic, I prefer the Russell Stove stuff that's made with sugar alcohols. I'm into Atkins, but even if you're not, you'll find sugar alcohols like Molitol don't cause your blood sugar to spike. This helps prevent your appetite from going bonkers.

Pick something you like to do and start slowly. If it's just walking a few blocks, do that. Do you like tennis? Bike riding? Do you have a doggie that would like to be walked more often? All those things will help.

It really is important to get active. Sometimes I still struggle with it myself- at the end of a long day, sometimes I just want to veg out on the couch and listen to some tunes. But I try to force myself to pay rent on the couch, so to speak, by doing a dozen Hindu pushups before I do. At least I always be sure to walk my 2.7 mile route, weather permitting.

Im down from 195 lbs to 149lbs since January.
Now Im gaining it all back...in muscle!!(Its the teen hormones kicking in lol)

About two ideas here:

Covert Bailey, MD, "Fit Not Fat"

"Diet" is what you eat, not a starvation plan to compensate for indulgences.

Fit people get to eat like horses -- Fitness builds lean body mass. Lean body mass burns calories. Fitness also elevates metabolism to burn calories.

Wonders here aloud, recognizing that I'll be flamed as an "elitist" if these people here, trying to starve themselves, have ever been "fit" ??? Athletic ???

The key to weight control lies not so much in restricting calories as in increasing activity to the point that it results in physical conditioning, fitness, lean body mass, elevated metabolism.

Atkins just filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It's a stupid diet strategy that overlooks basic nutrition.

Thanks for the kind words Ishbel!!! I wasn't overweight, I was fat, I'm still fat, but that's fine. I was firmly in the morbidly obese category and now I am right in the middle of the obese category!!! I can't wait to be overweight LOL.

I haven't really dieted insomuch as I have given up disordered eating. No more binges, no more comfort eating (my major downfall) no more overdoses of saturated fats. I still eat and eat well, and eat enormous amounts, in fact in volume more than when I ate badly.

And the biggest difference is exercise. I never thought I would be going to the gym six times a week. And swimming two miles a week as well. And weight training!!! I love weight training, well actually I don't love doing it, but I adore the results. I have bits that I never knew were there, like calf muscles, biceps and the most prominent collar bones!!!

And I can shop in normal stores. Ok the biggest sizes still, but I am out of the dedicated fat lady shops, and that's a good thing.

The key to successful healthy living isn't what you eat, or even how you move, it's how you think. The hardest battles for me haven't been at the refrigerator, the cupboard, the couch proscratinating about the next workout, they have been in my brain, arguing with my inner fat chick, who is worried about what this all means for her, who has been comfortable in this fat skin for so long that she wonders what the future holds and wouldn't it be better to just stay the way she is.

No it is better to look to the future and not to know what it holds.... just think of the ADVENTURES life will hold...

New country, new job, new husband.... NEW LIFESTYLE... well done, you!

And yes, it is all YOU... only you can decide to change your lifestyle!

I'm lucky cos I'm fairly thin (by genes not diet) - and exercise is not something that I am THAT familiar with.... or should I say the gym is not something I am familiar with.. Trekking round the streets of Edinburgh (those hills and COBBLESTONES!) and taking the dog for a walk in the hills is more than enough for me!

We've kidnapped (or is that dognapped??) the pub dog from next door, it's called Alfie, and he's huge and a bit dim!!! So that will help my walking! I always did a lot of walking, just not enough!!!

I am going to be doing a heck of a lot of walking in the next year, I am planning on doing the charity trek for Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital.....The Great Wall of China!!!!! Eek!!! But I wanted a goal to focus on rather than just my weight.

I am the only obese person in my family, but nearly all the women are certainly overweight, and we all have good hips, stomach and thighs!!! My sister inhereted some slim genes, but not me!!!

I generally stay away from scales as they never seem to have any relevance to how "fit" I am (I am 5' 9" tall and the trainer said I should weigh 150 lbs. - the last time I weighed 150, my friends were all concerned I was ill or anorexic; I looked awful!) But, I stepped on a scale the other day and hit over 220 - perception or no perception, that's high and I'd like to get it under control now while I'm young and healthy, right? So, I'm going to make myself do that cardio I never get around to doing and try to cut back on the cheese and soda.
Wish me luck!
And congrats to all of you here who are doing so well!

Daph, what is your point?

Have we ever been fit, you wonder aloud? Athletic?

I don’t know Daph.

In my prime I cycled 200 miles per week on average. I had low BP and a low pulse rate. I regularly rode century rides and rarely did less than 100 miles on the weekend. I am 6’ 2” tall and I weighed 200 pounds and it was solid. I had a 32 inch waist

I used to run up mountains for the fun of it and run back down so I could run up again. I ate like a horse. I consumed 4000 calories a day or more . I could eat an entire pepperoni pizza and not gain an ounce

I used to do stair runs in tall buildings for the heck of it.

But the knees went (maybe from running down the mountains). I couldn’t run any longer. I couldn’t cycle. But boy could I still eat.

I started to gain weight. I gained a great deal of weight. I lost my fitness, my waist line and my hair (though I doubt that was related to the weight gain). In total I gained about 110 pounds, peaking at 310 pounds.

If you saw me, you would never have guessed I was that big, most people guessed that I was about 250.

Now, I have changed my life style and my diet. I wouldn’t follow Atkins on a bet. I am not on a faddish, starvation diet trying to fit some Madison Avenue ideal of fitness and looks. I could not possibly care less about LOOKING fit or being handsome in a canned, ripped abs way.

I am trying to save my life. I am fighting genetics, my age and my habits in a sincere effort to get back to a level of fitness that will give me some hope of not following in the family foot steps of early onset diabetes, heart disease and premature death.

You see, it is HARD. Really, really hard. This particular segment of the Discuss Cooking world is a place where people fighting this particular battle can get some moral support.

I don’t expect I will ever get back to the condition I was in when on a lark I rode my bike from High Point NJ to Cape May NJ in one day (210 miles). I just want to take off the weight, improve my cardio vascular fitness and improve my chances of not dying before my 5 year old son graduates high school.

Now that I have lost 40 pounds, I can safely increase my activity level so I can begin to build back the cardiovascular health I once enjoyed

So your clever and self serving little diatribe, which others following this thread have (more wisely than me) ignored, is obnoxious, worthless and ill considered. Worst, it is ignorant and insulting.

SO what was your point? Was this a way of saying “HA I am better than you, I am an athlete, I am in good condition I am fit”? Well bravo. To bad you were born without any sense of compassion or sensitivity.

Last edited:
SpiceEU

Well said! It is far too easy to make 'assumptions' about people online.... I walk everywhere (I choose not to drive) - and believe me - Edinburgh is HILLY.... with cobblestones on many of the main streets (ask Kyles!) - The Pentland Hills are my dog-walking space.

Healthy? I think so. But, I've never been in a gym in my life. I always watch cholesterol levels and other things (have a few minor 'niggles' with kidneys and other probs).

Daphne - whether or not you consider this 'flaming' I'm not sure - but I think you often type comments PRECISELY to start a 'stooshie'.:(

Last edited:
I used to be quite slim (50kg) however I wasn't in the least bit fit or athletic. I think a lot of people are under the misapprehension that fat people are unfit and thin people are fit. I realise that I need to moderate my food intake and start exercising to be healthy and for my own self esteem.
I think its hard sometimes for people who have never had a weight problem to understand what it is like, my DH never believed that you could put on weight because of medication (he still thinks I'm using that as an excuse)
Anyway I appreciate the people in this thread and their support.

This thread needs to stay on topic and friendly. No one knows what others have gone through or have to go through. Each person is different. People have to do different things to get their minds right.

Let's keep this the safe place it has always been for people to discuss their progress and/or setbacks, or if they just need some encouragement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom