Worried about my eating habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey123 said:
Ever since I started eating healthy foods and cutting down on fatty foods, starches and sweets, I noticed that every time that I walk past a McDonald's, BK or the restaurant where I saw those boys eating hamburgers,
subs and French fries, if I smell them cooking, it starts to make me feel sick on my stomach!

Is that normal for someone who's on a healthier diet, or is that just a phase that I'm going through? Too bad restaurants don't served turkey burgers though. They more healthier than beef.

But they DO have grilled chicken as an alternative.

~Corey123.

While very much off-topic, yes, many people have reported feeling ill simply by smelling unhealthy/fast foods/etc.

Personally...in the 4.5 months since I started taking care of myself (which I recognize is NOT long at all), I have yet to experience that. I have had ONE Big Mac and ONE Whopper and a few other big, bad cheat meals and plenty of naughty desserts...and I have absolutely adored every bite.

Sarah, as to your original inquiry - my belief is this - you have to be ready to change the way you eat. I had tried to get on the fitness/health bandwagon many times but couldn't because I simply wasn't willing to overhaul my diet. I have now done so because I was just...ready. If you're not, you won't stick to it.

I love crappy food. I love desserts. I love sweets. I love chocolate. I simply choose not to eat them and find healthier alternatives that fulfill those kinds of cravings. So far, it's been working for me.

It IS stronly suggested by their doctors that diabetics refrain from eating fried foods - especially those foods fried in unhealthy fats or oils.

Canola or olive oil is recommend though for those who still tend to eat something fried now and then. I use either of the two. It's not so much the hamburgers, but the bread for me that I must keep and eye on. Can't have too much.

But if you're going to gourge on hamburgers like that, you might want to get them from BK, at least. Theirs are flame-broiled, whereas the unhealthy fat drips away from the meat for more healthier eating. Which also means that the the patties aren't sitting in the fat like at MD's.

I've been eating so much salad as of late. I will only eat salads at those and other places. I was getting the crispy chicken on my salad at MD's, but it is unbearably salty!!

I've since switched over to the grilled chicken on the salads and found out that is much, much less salty and flavorful, so grilled chicken it is on my salad from now on there.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
SizzlininIN said:
I'm glad you've adopted the small meal plan Sarah as I was going to suggest that and adding some form of exercise to your new eating habits. Notice I said new eating habits vs diet. Personally, I know that when I think, "Oh my gosh I need to lose x amount of pounds" I start fretting about it and then food becomes my whole focus and I tend to want those things that aren't good for me all the more. Plus, the weight ends up being a struggle getting off and I get so frustrated.

However, now I think of it in terms of eating healthier. Its so much easier to deal with the change and I don't focus on the pounds now. I don't own a scale I can tell the pounds are coming off by the way my clothes are fitting. The only way I knew I'd gained weight is by going to the doctor. Well I went back the otherday for a physical for work and lo and behold I indeed had lost weight but like I said I didn't need a scale to tell me that. I think scales are one of the worst things you can have in your home. When I owned one I found myself jumping on that thing everyday and becoming frazzled it I'd gained a pound. Best thing I ever did was put that thing in the rummage.

Anyway, now instead of fried foods I opt for grilled or baked and honestly I don't even miss the fried foods now. I've started drinking water, which can be a struggle for me but I do force myself to do that as one of my kidneys is compromised (runs in the family). I do occasionally allow myself a pop or ice cream as I don't think its fair to compleletly deprive myself.

I think that with a change to a healthier eating habit you need to include some form of exercising..........my favorite is walking. I was doing toning exercises everyother day but got out of the habit of that because I just have so much going on now that I just tend to forget. However, I'm starting back to school in the fall and signed up for their fitness center. Since I'm paying for that I'll def. not be ignoring to go there. Besides I enjoy working out with the equipment and I have a friend that also joined so we'll be doing it together.

Good luck with changing your eating habits...........we're all rooting for ya girl! But try not to let it consume your thoughts or else your going to want the foods that aren't good for you even more.

You know Sizz! i dont have a weighing machine.I checked my weight when i went to see my doc.I will NOT buy one!because i know it will make me crazy!lol.anyways,thanks for the encouragement.

Yakuta said:
Hi Sarah, hope things are going well for you back home. I am not here with any advice. I am the same way. I don't crave for sweets but I like snacking and I don't always snack on things that are considered healthy.

I am not a fast food junky nor do I eat a lot of chocolate or sweets so that probably saves me. As we age our body starts to get sluggish and I notice that after having two kids. I have never had a weight problem all my life and even after two kids I am sure I can fit into my teenage clothes but overall I don't get a feeling of being fit.

These paranoia attacks come and go :) . I am going to start excercising more regularly now that we have a club membership. I used to walk 2 miles 4 days a week last summer and it did make me feel really good.

I like to start slow and take baby steps. For me it's not eating out much, cooking foods that are low in fat (My family likes Indian food so I cook it but alter it to make it healthy, with the spices you don't miss the fat at all). I almost never cook any sweets unless I have company. My boys normally eat fruit when they crave sweets and so do I.

i guess ppl who r not much into sweets,r very lucky,because they dont have to suppress the cravings.For me,i think sweets r the main cause for all the weight gain problems i'm facing.
i bought a treadmill today,so i can no longer have excuses if i dont wanna leave home for excercise.

Try making a do-abel meal plan (you need more than a glass of milk for dinner and you shouldn't skip meals). You're attempts to save calories by restricting will send you into overeating later. Plan out your meals with an online planner and make sure they include starch, protein and fat. Try the 40/40/20 approach: thats 40% of calories from starch, 40% protein, and 20% from fat. There are plenty of websites to help you figure out the counts of different foods, like calorieking.com. If you need to lose weight, try having an amount of calories appopriate for your height, weight, and activity level to lose a pound a week. Try this:
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_6_1x_Calorie_Calculator.asp

I think the most important thing is to just come up with a plan so that you can make good dietary desigions in advanced, instead of poor ones when you're hungry.

You can fit into your teenage clothes? Haha. Obviously, you haven't a clue as to what a weight problem even is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom