"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,252
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
There is more to this than meets the eye, for example, a healthy meal is different for a sedentary office worker than one for someone who does heavy manual work.
I agree.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #22
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: The Bluffs
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I agree.
Yep, me too. Much depends upon who's eating!
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #23
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
There is more to this than meets the eye, for example, a healthy meal is different for a sedentary office worker than one for someone who does heavy manual work.
I understand your point. I also know that each of us have different dietary needs, depending on age, activity level, availability of foods, likes and dislikes, etc. This isn't supposed to be a discussion to nail down the one, healthiest meal, ever. Instead it was an exercise in thinking about what to you is the healthiest meal. I've seen some great examples in this thread so far.

The goal of this thread is to get as many great and healthy recipes as possible, and maybe in the process, inspire others with less cooking experience, to try new, healthier meals.

Maybe we should post recipes with our entries.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,252
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If people want to post recipes, I think they should go in the appropriate forum and put a link here.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If people want to post recipes, I think they should go in the appropriate forum and put a link here.
+1
Not to mention any recipe labeled as "healthy" will have critics. My recipe for a "healthy" Pasta Carbonara would send Vegetarians, Vegans and those set against white flour over the edge.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
+1
Not to mention any recipe labeled as "healthy" will have critics. My recipe for a "healthy" Pasta Carbonara would send Vegetarians, Vegans and those set against white flour over the edge.
+2. The question was "what do you consider a healthy meal" not 'what recipe do you go to for a healthy meal.'
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,252
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
+1
Not to mention any recipe labeled as "healthy" will have critics. My recipe for a "healthy" Pasta Carbonara would send Vegetarians, Vegans and those set against white flour over the edge.
White flour? Do you mean in the pasta? That's easily remedied by any of us who don't want white flour. I just use Italian, whole grain pasta.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
White flour? Do you mean in the pasta? That's easily remedied by any of us who don't want white flour. I just use Italian, whole grain pasta.
Yes, it can be, but that never seems to be a given - it always has to be pointed out, which kinda spoils the spirit of a post.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,683
Going on about what ingredients you think will be attacked also breaks the spirit of a thread.

How about rewinding back and just talking about our healthiest meal? With the knowledge that some people cannot eat it without adapting it to their particular diet needs. Also knowing that if someone asks about an adaptation/substitute they are not attacking your recipe, they are trying to fit it to their dietary needs/preferences.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
White flour? Do you mean in the pasta? That's easily remedied by any of us who don't want white flour. I just use Italian, whole grain pasta.
Ahh, but then it would be your recipe, not mine.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #31
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,157
And in the spirit of the thread - what I consider to be a healthy, but also very tasty meal?

I often have a smoked salmon chilli salad. It not only looks good, but it tastes good and it does you good too!

Hot-smoked salmon salad with a chilli lemon dressing | BBC Good Food

Oh, and it is dead easy to make.
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,683
Yum, that sounds good Katy!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #33
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yum, that sounds good Katy!
Hot-smoked salmon is getting a little tricky to come by in my neck of the woods. (It's a completely different product to cold-smoked salmon.) Is it commonly available in the US?
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Hot-smoked salmon is getting a little tricky to come by in my neck of the woods. (It's a completely different product to cold-smoked salmon.) Is it commonly available in the US?
It's not impossible, but it is expensive. I need to buy a stove top smoker and smoke my own. I have lots of salmon, love the stuff.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #35
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
I don't know. I like to think I cook healthy most of the time. There really isn't any one meal I feel is the "healthiest". At our house, we just try to follow a few guidelines:
  • Meat isn't always the star of the show. Veggies can often take center stage, with meat (or some other protein) being a supporting actor. Instead of eating a 16-oz steak with a side salad, we'll sometimes have a big salad with small pieces of steak as one of the ingredients.
  • Burgers and pizza can be healthy, too. Just don't overload with cheese and don't eat them every night.
  • Fish is your friend, but no more than once or twice a week. And try to avoid mercury-laden varieties.
  • Everything in moderation and don't stuff yourself. Even so-called "healthy foods" aren't healthy if you eat too much of them.

I used to be somewhat militant about food, but have given up on that, as it takes some of the fun out of life. Plus, as we all know, what's considered healthy today, might not be tomorrow.

I simply try to eat more of the foods that make me feel better and less of the foods that don't.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I don't know. I like to think I cook healthy most of the time. There really isn't any one meal I feel is the "healthiest". At our house, we just try to follow a few guidelines:
  • Meat isn't always the star of the show. Veggies can often take center stage, with meat (or some other protein) being a supporting actor. Instead of eating a 16-oz steak with a side salad, we'll sometimes have a big salad with small pieces of steak as one of the ingredients.
  • Burgers and pizza can be healthy, too. Just don't overload with cheese and don't eat them every night.
  • Fish is your friend, but no more than once or twice a week. And try to avoid mercury-laden varieties.
  • Everything in moderation and don't stuff yourself. Even so-called "healthy foods" aren't healthy if you eat too much of them.

I used to be somewhat militant about food, but have given up on that, as it takes some of the fun out of life. Plus, as we all know, what's considered healthy today, might not be tomorrow.

I simply try to eat more of the foods that make me feel better and less of the foods that don't.
Our eating philosophy is much like yours, Steve. Although, I've never been, and Glenn hasn't either, much of a pizza or burger eater. This is a bit of a bonus when it comes to choosing healthier meals.

Most of the time I plan our meals around an outline of "some carbs, some fats and some proteins." All these an take different faces, such as lentils acting as the protein.

I also make everything from scratch, which makes it easier to eliminate any cooked out fats from stocks/broths/sauces/soups. I always chill everything and skim off the fat. The dog or the birds get that. I hate to waste anything that can be eaten by some creature, human or otherwise.

As an example, we had homemade turkey soup yesterday. The soup was made from stock cooked from the Christmas turkey carcass. The meat, trimmed from the same carcass. The stock was chilled and ALL the fat was removed. To that I added tomatoes, onions, spinach, fresh mushrooms, garlic and plenty of herbs. For the carb, I made papparadelle, which was added to the soup. Our fat was the butter that was put on the homemade baguette, a little more carb, we ate along with the soup. There was not a single preservative in our meal and it was yummy.

Cooking from scratch, canning a lot of what we eat and not using commercially-produced canned foods also allows me to keep an eye on our salt intake, not that that is an issue. I've never been much of a salt eater and my dad always said if I ever had to go on a salt-free diet it wouldn't phase me in the least. Most of the time I use half the salt recommended in a recipe and go up from there if I think it's necessary.

Yes, we do eat rich, luxurious things...but not often. As a result, they're a treat and we relish them when we do have them. That's also an aspect of healthy eating/healthy meals.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #37
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Our eating philosophy is much like yours, Steve. Although, I've never been, and Glenn hasn't either, much of a pizza or burger eater. This is a bit of a bonus when it comes to choosing healthier meals.

Most of the time I plan our meals around an outline of "some carbs, some fats and some proteins." All these an take different faces, such as lentils acting as the protein.

I also make everything from scratch, which makes it easier to eliminate any cooked out fats from stocks/broths/sauces/soups. I always chill everything and skim off the fat. The dog or the birds get that. I hate to waste anything that can be eaten by some creature, human or otherwise.

As an example, we had homemade turkey soup yesterday. The soup was made from stock cooked from the Christmas turkey carcass. The meat, trimmed from the same carcass. The stock was chilled and ALL the fat was removed. To that I added tomatoes, onions, spinach, fresh mushrooms, garlic and plenty of herbs. For the carb, I made papparadelle, which was added to the soup. Our fat was the butter that was put on the homemade baguette, a little more carb, we ate along with the soup. There was not a single preservative in our meal and it was yummy.

Cooking from scratch, canning a lot of what we eat and not using commercially-produced canned foods also allows me to keep an eye on our salt intake, not that that is an issue. I've never been much of a salt eater and my dad always said if I ever had to go on a salt-free diet it wouldn't phase me in the least. Most of the time I use half the salt recommended in a recipe and go up from there if I think it's necessary.

Yes, we do eat rich, luxurious things...but not often. As a result, they're a treat and we relish them when we do have them. That's also an aspect of healthy eating/healthy meals.

I like the say you think!

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
health

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.