Your Healthiest Meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Didn't know what section to put this under, so I put it here. I pose the question, what do you think is the healthiest, great tasting meal, and why?

I have to think that chili, made with tomatoes, beans, onions, celery, beef, peppers, and seasonings, has to be right up there. It has the important nutrients from cooked tomato, is low fat, high in protein, high in fiber, rich in vitamins, mierals, and phyto-nutrients, and flavinoids. You can put a host of veggies in it as well. It's also relatively low in carbs. It helps control blood sugar, triglycerides, and bad cholesterol (thanks to the high soluble fiber, and fills you without having to eat a lot of it. Lastly, it tastes so good, that I literally don't know anyone who doesn't like it.

So, that's my vote for the healthiest meal. What's yours?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree, provided we're talking about homemade chili. Many fast-food chili options are sky-high in sodium, which counters some of the positive health aspects of the dish.

I suppose some salads might qualify for the title? Salad Nicoise, for example, especially when made with fresh tuna steaks or salmon steaks (which I find a nice alternative). Obviously it depends on the dressing though. Many a healthy dish has been ruined by a nasty processed dressing.

Thin crust pizza is quite a healthy option if laden with veggies and not TOO too much cheese.

I bet there's a Japanese recipe somewhere though that would trump all of these!

I agree with you, i think Shakeology is helpful for health, Shakeology is a protein shake, meal replacement, antioxidant, and vitamin regimen all wrapped up into one package. It is known as a drink that "acts like a salad, but tastes like a desert."

What you Think ?

I'm highly skeptical that mankind can create the perfect food-in-a-shake. I believe that there are many essential compounds that work with out body to make it work properly, that we don't probably know about yet. I do believe that the natural food of this planet has all of the nutrients we need, and in the proper amounts, when eaten properly. I mean look at all the wonder foods from way back when to now - Carnation Instant Breakfast, Slim Fast (and all of its cousins), Visalis, PomWonderful. There have been so many Wonder-foods that have turned out to be " snake-oil" that I trust none of them, including the vitamin supplement industry. Check out this article; (now I admit that it's not a medical periodical, or reference, but other evidence that is verifiable points to the same conclusion, after all we know that too much Vitamin A, for instance, can kill you) - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/dont-take-your-vitamins.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

And another nutritional scam - Coral Calcium: A Barefoot Scam - TIME

These are but two of hundreds.

I'll stick with varieties of real food. And that's my humble opinion.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For a healthy meal I like grilled fish and steamed veggies. You must like fish and veggies for this to appeal to you. As far as health is concerned, your getting protein from the fish,vitamins and roughage from the veggies and very very little fat from the fish. You could add a side of some sort for grain.

Years ago I would have said soup or a salad based meal. Over the years I've come to realize that many of these simple dishes can be very unhealthy.

Today the healthiest meal for me revolves around how I construct my plate. Practicing the old saw about a small plate with half of the real estate devoted to lo carb vegetables, 1/4 to lean protein and 1/4 to some type of high fiber starch. That is the target that I aim for, don't always hit it though! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I agree that chili is an all inclusive good for you meal...but all the time??? I believe variety is the key to health.

I agree that chili is an all inclusive good for you meal...but all the time??? I believe variety is the key to health.

I didn't say you had to eat it every day. There are also lots of other heathy meals to eat. Another favorite, broiled lean pork, seasoned with salt and pepper with baked sweet spuds, and asparagus. Or how about a steamed artichoke, with braised beef, and brown-rice pilaf? The variations are endless. It's relatively easy to eat healthy every day, every meal.

I was just wondering what we thing the healthiest meal is.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Healthiest is a relative term and which meal constitutes healthiest will depend on many factors. Of course most people will be well served(no pun intended) with a plate well balanced with all food groups. Having said that, I just made a batch of stuffed cabbage rolls. It has veal, onions, tomatoes, egg, and of course cabbage. Oh there is also a small amount of rice. This strikes me as a pretty healthy option as there is cabbage ground into the veal to up the veggie percentage. Served with a side of green veggies this would be a contender.

I agree with joesfolk.

I think the healthiest meal for a specific person can vary. If one hasn't been eating enough veg, then a meal with a lot of veg is probably a good idea and probably tastes particularly good when one has a veg deficit. The same would be true of protein or other nutrients.

Yes, shells. But I was thinking about the bought ones. You are quite right...I am sure they could be made without. Have just never thought of making them.

For me the perfect meal would be Beef Barley Stew with root veggies galore, tomatoes, celery, kale or escarole. Protein, veggies, and grain. For a drink, a tall cold glass of milk. Some dark bread such as whole grain oat, wheat or rye, butter. :angel:

Last edited:
Still sounds good to me!

You could also go with a big crunchy iceberg lettuce leaf, sort of an inside out taco! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I went to Winthrop today. They served chicken salad on dark wheat bread. I asked them not to cut my sandwich. I took out the lettuce leaf, put the chicken salad on it and then rolled it up for a wrap. Delicious! And it saved the calories from the bread. My new sandwich minus the bread. :angel:

I went to Winthrop today. They served chicken salad on dark wheat bread. I asked them not to cut my sandwich. I took out the lettuce leaf, put the chicken salad on it and then rolled it up for a wrap. Delicious! And it saved the calories from the bread. My new sandwich minus the bread. :angel:
+1 I often use lettuce as the bread (or I use a rice spring roll wrapper) since I've cut bread from my diet.

There is more to this than meets the eye, for example, a healthy meal is different for a sedentary office worker than one for someone who does heavy manual work.

Back
Top Bottom