95 year old bottle of whiskey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-roy

Cook
We have a pint bottle of "Old Murphy" Whiskey from 1912. A friend of my Dads found a case of it under the porch of his house and gave it to him many years ago. The seal was intact & the Gentleman that found the case had tasted it with no ill effects. My brother had been keeping it, unfortunately he stored it on its side & the cork failed so most of the whiskey was lost, about a third of a pint is left. We officially opened it this past Christmas Eve and had a few sips, it tasted great, smooth and kind of flowery. We still have a bit left for next Christmas.

Attachments

• Old Murphy back r.JPG
    Old Murphy back r.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Old murphy rr.jpg
    Old murphy rr.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Old Murphy front rr.JPG
    Old Murphy front rr.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 239
The location of the distillery is what I think is today's Makers Mark location...but don't believe they made it...I am surprised that with cork failure it had not all evaperated...Quite a treasure...probably can get top dollar from a collector for just the bottle!

Uncle Bob said:
The location of the distillery is what I think is today's Makers Mark location...but don't believe they made it...I am surprised that with cork failure it had not all evaperated...Quite a treasure...probably can get top dollar from a collector for just the bottle!

Yeah, I'd check out that bottle on ebay - could get a few dollars for it!

I am pretty sure this whiskey was manufactured at the distillery that is now known as Maker's Mark. Its located in Loretto KY and there was another distillery operating at the Maker's property back in the 1800s.

You guys sure are quick. You're dead on about the distillery. I just scanned the community policies & I think I'm ok posting a link to this bourbon forum. There's some interesting speculation about the bottle & its contents.

BourbonEnthusiast.com :: View topic - Old Murphy Whiskey

There was some evaporation prior to the cork failure. We decided to drink it (slowly) rather than let the rest evaporate. I'm sure it would have taken years. My Dad always said he'd drink it when he retired but He never did so we had a sip or two for him

Last edited:
What a find. Although with the cork comprimized, chances are the alcohol could be gone leaving behind a whisky flavored water, I had a similar experience with 3 gallons of whisky I had acquired many years ago. I had bottles it in wine bottles and some 15 or so years later when I found it in a box I had stored, it had turned to whisky light with no alcohol to burn. The whiskey in the bottle you have does have a nice rich color compared to my experience.

Also Bourbons and whiskys in general only get smoother unless they are in the charred oak barrel unlike wines which continue to mellow and change during thier lifetime.

I am sure there are collectors in Loretto that would be very interested in this bottle especially with some of the contents still inside and the general condition looking good. Loretto KY is like the bourbon capital and home to many distilleries. If you gat a chance you should visit. There are times when you can smell the sweet bourbons aging in the barns around the area and a rich history.

That used to be a cure all back then, I'm sure!

What a cool find, I though I had a goodie with an unopend bottle of Crown Royal from 76, but dang, you have me beat on that,lol!

Yea, I know that bottle will fetch you a few $$$ on ebay... wow, that is awesome!!! I love coming across treasures like that!

that is amazing, to drink a whiskey that has been around long before one was born

From the taste I think there is still some alcohol left, but we won't taste it again till next Christmas. I've been trying to educate myself about bourbon so I can better describe the flavor (or is that just an excuse to try new bourbons?;) )
Once it's gone I'm sure we'll hang on to the bottle for sentimental reasons.

funny story, one night about 6 years ago, I was in high school, and was at my girlfriend's house. after a while I went home, and my parents had the neighbors over and they were talking about 100 year old sipping whiskey. they handed me the shot glass and said "try this". I downed the whole thing in one gulp. They burst out laughing, then told me to go lay down. I was like 17.... It was really yummy tasting with a slightly alcoholic bite. They told me it wasnt to be taken all at once, what did I know, I was a stupid kid..... looking back I wish I had sipped it a few times....

my grandpa (84) has a 40 year old bottle of rum.. We're cracking into it on his 85th!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom