Angostura & Gin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting history

Anyone tried Angostura & gin? It seems to hold promise as a digestive tonic / aperitive.

Years ago I was told that Angustura is dry wine. However, after reading as much as I can find, it seems the Angostura aromatic bitters is a non-alcoholic food and beverage enhancer that was orignially used by the scientist who created it as a tonic and digestive aid. In other words you do not need the gin. It can be added to anything including ice cream. It is used regularly in Carribean dishes. It is made and bottled in Trinidad.

My husband uses bitters in cooking fairly often. It has some alcoholic content. Hmmm... just got up and checked, it definitely has an alcoholic content. But you rarely drink enough of bitters to think much about it. I believe the drink you're talking about is called a pink gin. You shake a few drops of bitters in the glass, roll it around the glass to coat the inside of the glass, toss any excess. Pour gin into the glass and it will get a pink-ish hue. Some put bitters in Manhattans and Bloody Marys. But my husband also uses them to season his French onion soup and other dishes.

I, too, learned that it was invented by someone who was trying to increase the appetites of people who weren't eating enough when on tropical assignments.

My husband uses bitters in cooking fairly often. It has some alcoholic content. Hmmm... just got up and checked, it definitely has an alcoholic content. But you rarely drink enough of bitters to think much about it. I believe the drink you're talking about is called a pink gin. You shake a few drops of bitters in the glass, roll it around the glass to coat the inside of the glass, toss any excess. Pour gin into the glass and it will get a pink-ish hue. Some put bitters in Manhattans and Bloody Marys. But my husband also uses them to season his French onion soup and other dishes.

I, too, learned that it was invented by someone who was trying to increase the appetites of people who weren't eating enough when on tropical assignments.

A dash in a ragu bolognaise works well!
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom