Bourbon Tasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
OK, this weekend was our long awaited bourbon tasting.

We had 11 bourbons on the table.
Basil Hayden, Bulliet, Knob Creek, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Woodford, Makers Mark, Ezra B 12y, Elijah Craig 18y, Wild Turkey 101, George Dickel Barrel Select, Russell's Reserve.

The Elijah Craig 18year old was hands down the best on the table. Followed by the 1792. 3rd was a pure tie between Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve. Both are fantastic, different but equally good.
the worst on the table was the Bulliet, no one liked it. Also near the bottom was the Knob Creek. Basil Hayden was almost not a candidate, very little flavor, but what was there was pleasant.

Woodford is my favorite bourbon! I love drinking it on the rocks, and cooking with it. Coincidentally came up with a bourbon pecan pie recipe that I am writing about tomorrow! It was to-die-for.

Nothing comes close to this:

hirschad03.jpg

Was this a blind tasting Jeff?
No, we were going to do that but it was more trouble than we wanted to deal with. For some we didn't tell them what they were drinking, but everyone pretty agreed on the flavors.

It was very interesting having them all side by side. There is a tremendous flavor difference between them. Frankly I was surprised at my own rankings... side by side tasting.. lots of fun...

Woodford is my favorite bourbon! I love drinking it on the rocks, and cooking with it. Coincidentally came up with a bourbon pecan pie recipe that I am writing about tomorrow! It was to-die-for.
It is near the top. The Elijah Craig 18... nice!!!

Back
Top Bottom