Complications shipping wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppinfresh

Senior Cook
I already know about having to mark the box "glassware" and containing "olive oil" so they'll ship it for me, but what special precautions should I take packaging it so it doesn't break in transit? Are there special things I can buy that will care for the bottle (a 1964 Bordeaux I'm giving as a Christmas gift).

Also, will the time in transit if I send it ground vinegar the wine? I've kept it in a properly maintained wine cellar to this point. I'm worried about it spending 3 days on a truck going from Oregon to Nevada souring it. Will it hold?

If it was me, I'd get some styrofoam blocks, and carve a space into each
that matches the bottle. Nestle it into the space, and tape the two blocks securely withpacking tape. Place that into a box with at least 3 inches on all sides, and
tightly pack with styrofoam peanuts.

That is how I've shipped quite a few pieces of glassware.

You can send it Express Mail and it will get there overnight.
Another thought is to send it Registered Mail. That is kept under lock and
key, so it (theoretically) will get handled less roughly.

Here's the link to the USPS website postage calculator. It shows all the options
and prices.

USPS - Calculate Postage

Registered mail is slower than the poney express. Most any method of shipment will expose the package to some shaking and vibration. When the bottle reaches it's destination it should be allowed to rest for several weeks. Packing in styrofoam should help in a number of respects, including insulation from sudden temperature changes.

Last edited:
Packing it carefully is s very good idea. Keep in mind that it traveled from France is a cardboard or wood carton and made it to your door. Wine bottles are tough. The contents won't suffer with brief exposures to temperature change.

I know how illegal it can be to send booze to some states. Fortunately, as a Scotch whisky lover, I have no problem legally getting deliveries in my state.

Why put anything on the box? I like GF's idea and would then surround it with the styrofoam peanuts. And put it in a fiarly large box - larger than it needs to be kept in. Pack it so they cannot break it. Why give anyone a clue what is inside (transportation companies are not stupid, they know what they are carrying when you put 'olive oil' on the box)?

Call it whatever you want on the packing slip - ya gotta lie one way or the other.

These regulations are insane. Good luck.

I know how illegal it can be to send booze to some states...

I've heard that as well, Aunt Dot. I would wrap in bubble wrap & styrofoam; and ship the fastest way possible. There may be a way to send food through the mail, i.e. mark perishable? Have never done it myself. Hope that helps.

There are some special bottle packaging things it is foam with bottle ident inside. Comes in two halves you just put bottle inside. I'd say call one of those bottle shipping places and ask where to get this.

In the horse world, a popular way to get your mare in foal is to use artificial insemination. The minute that the stud does his thing a vet packs it up into a few doses in test tubes and ship it on ice in the very sturdy temperature controlled boxes. They are almost always shipped overnight so the specimen is as fresh as possible. It might be a little more costly than conventional methods, but if you're worried about damage resulting from temp. change or rough handling this is the method for you. Depending on the stud, some people are paying thousands of dollars for the specimen alone, so they ship with nothing but the best. If you don't want your wine opened up for examination this might be a way to go too. I'm sure the delivery guys know what these containers usually hold, and I'd also bet that they aren't looking to peek inside.

I'll try to remember what the containers are called, and I'll post if I do.

They're called Equitainer. My fiancee (horse aficionado) also reminded me that these containers are handled only by FedEx. They definitely know what's inside, and I don't imagine they'd be interested in having a look.

Well, I ended up finding a special wine shipping box. It's essentially a double box with a form fitting interior for the bottle. Not that I would ever send wine across state lines or anything, but my evil twin may have marked it 100 year aged balsamic vinegar (to explain why it's insured for so much) and sent it via FedEX.

Well, I ended up finding a special wine shipping box. It's essentially a double box with a form fitting interior for the bottle. Not that I would ever send wine across state lines or anything, but my evil twin may have marked it 100 year aged balsamic vinegar (to explain why it's insured for so much) and sent it via FedEX.

I like your style. I mean, your evil twin's style.... :rolleyes:

I didn't think it was illegal to ship from family member/friend to family member/friend if you made sure to mark "signature required" and the signature be that of an adult of age. I know my boss receives wine from his family at Christmas time going from Florida to NC or NY to NC. I've also ordered wine baskets online.

Sorry, I just never heard that it is illegal to ship wine.

Around here there's a lovely store that has a full shipping center in it. Any time someone brings in wine to ship, they mark it as "soda pop" and use those dual containers as well ;)

Ambrosiawine.com
2545 Napa Valley Corporate Drive Suite C Napa CA 94558

States We Ship To: By law, Ambrosia can only ship wine to the following: AK, CA, IL, LA, NE, NH, NV, ND, NM, OH, OR, TX, WV, WY

Ambrosiawine.com
2545 Napa Valley Corporate Drive Suite C Napa CA 94558

States We Ship To: By law, Ambrosia can only ship wine to the following: AK, CA, IL, LA, NE, NH, NV, ND, NM, OH, OR, TX, WV, WY

That's a VERY short list! most wineries (can and do) ship to a great deal more!

Here's Childress Vineyards' policy:

[SIZE=-0]Note: We can ship our Childress Vineyards merchandise to all 50 states, but due to restrictive laws, Childress Vineyards can legally ship wine to the following states at this time: Alabama(with Permit), Alaska, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida(except counties:Lafayette, Liberty, Madison, Suwannee, Washington), Georgia, Louisiana,Michigan, Minnesota, Montana(with Permit), Nevada, New Hampshire(except counties: Brookfield, Ellsworth, Landaff, Monroe, Sharon), New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming.

[/SIZE]So it must vary on where you are. I do see from that list why I've never had a problem receiving wines. California is on both lists and North Carolina is on the Childress list. I'm sure someone could use lists like this to deny knowledge of violating any rules.

The problem hasn't been the legality of shipping the wine as per government; it's been the legality of shipping wine as per carrier rules (FedEX, UPS, etc.).

They'll only ship wine from authorized dealers and distributors, neither of which are me. The wine itself is going from a "free grape" state to a "free grape" state.

Back
Top Bottom