Do you refrigerate any of your alcohol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Obviously this excludes beer and wine; but I mean, like vodka, bourbon, vermouth, any of those types... should any of them go in the refrigerator? Or is it just a matter of preference if you want them to be chilled? Someone told me vermouth should so it stays good longer...? Is that true at all?

Not necessary to refrigerate any of those mentioned, including vermouth.

Personal preference and convenience are a different story. You can refrigerate any alcohol. I keep a bottle of Jaegermeister in the freezer and sometimes have it over ice. It's just too nasty at room temperature.

I do not put any in the fridge. I used to keep my vodka in the freezer until I found out that my drinks were better if the booze was room temp and chilled by shaking with ice. The melted water from the ice is often an important part of the drink.

Kim used to keep a bottle of Rumplemintz in the freezer...he may still have some out in the garage. I like white wine chilled, but as y'all know, I'm not much of a connoisseur.

I keep 43 bottles in a wine fridge. Otherwise, only open bottles of wine.

I keep vodka and gin in the freezer. Rarely serve them, but when I do, I like them to be icy cold.

Vodka, whiskey, wine, beer are all in the fridge. Used to keep the vodka in the freezer but it works better in the shaker if it isn't so cold. For some reason I keep the Midori on a dark shelf instead of the fridge.
A friend of ours helps us figure out which wines are best chilled and which ones are best at room temp, right now all of the ones we have can be chilled.

Buddy, unless you have a dedicated wine fridge, wine is best not stored in the fridge until shortly before you plan to drink it. A cool, dry, dark place with the bottles on their sides is the best wine storage.

freeze my jagermeister. fridge my beer. im more of a beer buff then anything.

Why would a dedicated wine fridge affect if it is better to store it cold or not?

Because a dedicated wine fridge is usually set at celler temperature, approx 45 degrees. A standard fridge is much colder. For the purpose of storing/aging cellar temperature is certainly the way to go.

Also wine is best served at cellar temp. So if you don't have a dedicated wine fridge, placing the wine in a standard fridge shortly before you plan on opening it is the best idea.

Thanks BBQ Mikey. That makes a lot of sense.

So the wine that I have in my second fridge (which runs on the colder side) is not in an ideal spot. Would I be better off removing it or now that it has already been at the cooler temps should I just leave it where it is? My wine palate is extremely novice BTW so are these even things I will notice anyway?

Thanks BBQ Mikey. That makes a lot of sense.

So the wine that I have in my second fridge (which runs on the colder side) is not in an ideal spot. Would I be better off removing it or now that it has already been at the cooler temps should I just leave it where it is? My wine palate is extremely novice BTW so are these even things I will notice anyway?

It really depends on how long you plan on storing it. If only a month or two, leave it in the fridge for it won't be a noticable difference. If you plan on storing it longer, I would remove it. As far as I know, wine can be refrigerated then un-refrigerated without any harm. Also, you would notice if you aged this wine for a year or two in a cellar compared to a fridge. It would taste very much the same as when you first bought it if you refrigerate, but if cellared for the same period of time, complexities come out that you would surely notice, novice or not!

Thanks BBQ Mikey. I will take them out when I get home tonight as I doubt I will open any of them before next summer.

Also wine is best served at cellar temp. So if you don't have a dedicated wine fridge, placing the wine in a standard fridge shortly before you plan on opening it is the best idea.

Not sure what you meant by the comment I highlighted...

No wine, other than sparkling, really shows well at 45 degrees! (and even that is questionable). Red wine is best served at "room temperature." I used quotes because in US we mostly keep our rooms too warm for optimum wine flavor. White wines also go "dormant" flavorwise when they're too cold. 55 to 60 would be cold enough for them.

Your home refrigerator does not have humidity control that the wine needs. Wine fridges are not just baby fridges.
Can you explain this a little further? If the wine is sealed, how would humidity control matter, especially with the synthetic corks and screw caps now?

Back
Top Bottom