Do you use fresh lemons/limes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh or bottled lemon/lime juice?

• Fresh

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • Bottled

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

crankin

Senior Cook
I have heard that using fresh lemons / limes in drinks is way better than using the stuff found in the little bottles (the ones shaped like lemons/limes). Usually I just use this bottled stuff because if I just want a quick drink or something I don't feel like getting out a cutting board and knife and juicing the lemon. And then it is more annoying to measure the right amount and what if the drink you want needs more than one lemon worth of juice (how much juice is usually in a lemon or lime, anyways?). So I am asking how many of you use fresh lemons/limes and juice them for each drink versus just using the stuff in the bottle.

Just out of curiosity, when you make a drink, do you just squeeze the lemon juice into the drink or do you actually try to measure it out or what?

I don't often make drinks requiring lemon or lime but when I do, or for cooking that matter, I use the real fruit. Once juiced, I will use the rest in other dishes/drinks while I have it - get some oysters in, do a cerviche, make some salmon tartare... that sort of thing.

In my youth I bought the bottles but they went off as well waiting for me to use them up so it works out cheaper to just grab some fresh fruit when you need it.

As to the accuracy of the juice, in truth it is all to taste anyway, so the more often you use the fruit, the better you get the "feel" for the quantity without having to measure.

I also don't use a chopping board unless doing a bulk of fruit - just a cheap knife on the sink. Does the job, quick rinse and the lemon juice is good for the drains anyway!! LOL

Always Fresh!!! Period. Oh Wait..there is a bottled Key Lime juice I have used for Key Liime Pie...What is the name of it??? Rats! I'm having a Sr. moment. I'll think of it.

Fresh without a doubt. The bottles stuff is NOT even close.

As for measuring, I don't measure. I just take a guess.

Always Fresh!!! Period. Oh Wait..there is a bottled Key Lime juice I have used for Key Liime Pie...What is the name of it??? Rats! I'm having a Sr. moment. I'll think of it.

It's Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice I use sometimes. I can't always get fresh Key limes for pie....See I did think of it.:-p

Have Fun!

The only time I would ever use bottled citrus juice is the Nellies & Joes Key Lime.

There are ALWAYS lemons in my keeper drawer in the fridge. :)

You can buy frozen lemon juice, which is much better than the icky stuff in bottles.

I buy a bunch of lemons or limes on sale, juice them and freeze the juice myself. If you do it in ice cube trays, and dump the cubes into a bag, you can use the amount you need, no trouble.

Be sure to zest some of them, and freeze that, too. Really adds a zing to dishes.

fresh always, with One exception, I preserve my own lemons in salt that I use in certain recipes, but unless we`re eating That, then always fresh.

You can buy frozen lemon juice, which is much better than the icky stuff in bottles.

I buy a bunch of lemons or limes on sale, juice them and freeze the juice myself. If you do it in ice cube trays, and dump the cubes into a bag, you can use the amount you need, no trouble.

Be sure to zest some of them, and freeze that, too. Really adds a zing to dishes.

That is an awesome idea! My Gin n Tonics will have some new ice cubes now :cool:

Lemons and limes are cheap enough to keep around the house at all times. I keep them stocked just like I would onions and garlic. They are almost an essential to me for all types of cooking and beverage making!

I am like you sattie, I always have lemons or limes like I would onions or garlic. Fresh is the word. I do have the bottled stuff though just in-case, but I always end up never using it, DH uses it with the kids when they have pancakes(they like their pancakes with lyle's golden syrup and lemon juice). Somehow they never use fresh lemon juice on pancakes.

Yea Jikoni, I don't see any reason to use the bottled stuff unless it is an emergency. I have the bottled stuff to and only use it by the off chance I don't have freshies laying around. The pancake lemon juice thing sounds interesting!

For drinks ... always fresh. For baking ... it depends on the recipe and what is available. For canning - usually bottled unless fresh is called for in the recipe.

DH uses it with the kids when they have pancakes(they like their pancakes with lyle's golden syrup and lemon juice). Somehow they never use fresh lemon juice on pancakes.
When I used to have the bottled stuff on hand, I too would use it on my pancakes (when I had them) but the pancakes are better with fresh lemon juice. Too bad it is many hours until dessert cos I could go a batch of those pancakes about now!!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom