Does Alcohol Go Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TATTRAT said:
Is it 5 o'clock yet?

It's always 5:00 somewhere!! :angel:

I'm thinking tonight might be a good night for meads! Blueberry, Raspberry, Pineapple, Oh My!! :ROFLMAO:

John

TATTRAT said:
I have an un-opened bottle of Crown from 1976. This thread is tempting me more and more to answer this question first hand.

Is it 5 o'clock yet?
It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

Well schucks then...slow day at the hotel....Ernesto is sitting on us...it IS 5 O'clock in the UK....looks like the planets might have alighned so that we can do a lil afternoon recreational drinking.:cool:

I have those champange corks you speak of... a bottle of that only makes it a day or two around me. Now I gotta see what are some cool and easy drinks there are that I can make. Specially with whiskey since 70% of is whiskey. Shew!!!! Gonna have a fun weekend!!!

TATTRAT said:
Well schucks then...slow day at the hotel....Ernesto is sitting on us...it IS 5 O'clock in the UK....looks like the planets might have alighned so that we can do a lil afternoon recreational drinking.:cool:
And it's a holiday weekend. Woo Hoo!! I just might have to spring for some good beer tonight.

Hey, Sattie - I'm only about a 20-minute drive from you if you need some help tasting it before you serve it to anyone else!

Actually - you said the magic word - spirits, which are distilled. Although they will get better with age if unopened, they will last for years after being opened. Wine will oxidize and turn to vinegar, beer will turn into something that I probably don't want to say since we try to keep it PG-13 here.

Bailey's Irish Cream ... that and some other "creams" will go funky once opened after a while ....

Michael in FtW said:
Hey, Sattie - I'm only about a 20-minute drive from you if you need some help tasting it before you serve it to anyone else!

Actually - you said the magic word - spirits, which are distilled. Although they will get better with age if unopened, they will last for years after being opened. Wine will oxidize and turn to vinegar, beer will turn into something that I probably don't want to say since we try to keep it PG-13 here.

Bailey's Irish Cream ... that and some other "creams" will go funky once opened after a while ....

You know, there is plenty of it!!!! I just trying to figure out where to start first!!!! :huh: C'mon over!!!! Party at Sattie's house!!!! :dizzy:

Is it beer'30 yet?

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
...spirits, which are distilled. Although they will get better with age if unopened, they will last for years after being opened.

That's not exactly correct, Michael. It's true that distilled spirits will last almost indefinitely if unopened and properly stored, but unlike wine, liquor does not improve once it's bottled -- any improvements occur in the barrel or vat.

Here are a couple of references:

http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/nieminen/alcfaq.html

http://www.foodsubs.com/Liquor.html

And another:

http://www.cognac-world.com/article.php3?id_article=530

Last edited:
Alcohol content plays a large part in the longetivity of any given beverage. The higher the content, the longer it will last. The reds that are aged for many years, require 12% minimum. Whites which usually peak at 3 years, no need to worry about getting the content to 12% or higher. The reason beer does not last nearly as long or does not "usually" benefit from aging, content to low. These are only very general and basic statements. As John states, there is a lot out there to learn concerning winemaking, brewing & distilling. Many variables.

Marion

Sephora said:
My friend was manager at McCormick and Shmicks in Irvine. Free is fun! They did that chocolate and rasberry thing and other beers that didn't taste like beer. Oh, and we were weekend flyers to San Diego so I did my fair share of sampling at Sea World.

Hey! There's a Mc & Shmicks in Pasadena! I've been there, but it's been a while. I must go back. Thanks for the reminder:)

Johnny Walker

So what is up with Johnny Walker!!????!?! That stuff is STOUT!!!! UGH! I tried it with coca-cola and man that was yucky!!!! Ok, I can set that stuff aside.

Johnny does not like to play with others. He likes to be left alone, or in the company of 2 ice cubes. Tis an aquired taste though.

Red lable?

I understand, thanks for letting me know... cuz I think there is another bottle or two that I will have to give away. Not sure I will ever acquire the "taste" for that one!!!!!!

TATTRAT said:
Well, Scotch is one of those things that makes my skin crawl, but it is niice on ocassion. I am a Whiskey man.
Forty years ago, Scotch led me to a serious consideration of abstinence. Fortunately, I discovered Kentucky Bourbon.

My dad use to drink scotch and water... for the life of me, I don't know how he did it. I would just rather drink it straight than dilute it with cruddy tap water!

TATTRAT said:
Well, Scotch is one of those things that makes my skin crawl, but it is niice on ocassion. I am a Whiskey man.
Okay, from living in NC I have gotten the feeling that Scotch, Whiskey, and Bourbon were all the same because at the ABC store, they are all grouped together under the "Bourbon" heading.

Sephora said:
Okay, from living in NC I have gotten the feeling that Scotch, Whiskey, and Bourbon were all the same because at the ABC store, they are all grouped together under the "Bourbon" heading.
It would be more accurate to group them together under a "Whiskey" heading along with Tennessee, Canadian, and blended whiskies.

skilletlicker said:
It would be more accurate to group them together under a "Whiskey" heading along with Tennessee, Canadian, and blended whiskies.
Well, for 3 months I didn't even think NC sold hard alcohol so when I finally found out what an ABC store was I ventured in and didn't know what Bourbon was ~ that's how I remember where they were all grouped. Quite honestly the Canadian Mist that I was used to was up front and it was all I had heard of. Jack, Jim Beam, and all the other whiskeys were shelved under a huge Burboun sign. It took me forever to find them my first trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom