Dry White Wine for recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Ok.....I already know I'm suppose to cook with the same wine I would drink. Well I'm no wine expert so tell me when you see a recipe that calls for dry white wine.....what wine do you use?

I would use an inexpensive savignon blanc or pinot grigio. You should't cook with really good wine, IMO but it does need to be drinkable.

I usually have a big bottle of Mezza Corona PG (see here:http://info.detnews.com/wine/columns/sutherland/details.cfm?id=107) in my fridge for cooking. And drinking in the summer.

I would not recommend using a California Chardonnay as they are usually quite oak-ey tasting which gets transferred to the food. SB and PG are usually quite dry and neutral tasting.

French wines made from chardonnay grapes often aren't as oak-ey but can be pricey.

I keep a box (yes box) of Franzia Chablis in my cabinet specifically for cooking. I enjoy wine, but do not drink it often (I am more of a beer guy) and I don't always feel like buying a bottle just for a recipe. With the wine in the box I always have it on hand. Inside the box is a bag that the wine is in. It is airtight so the wine will stay good forever even after you open it. It has a pour spout so what I do is I keep it on a high shelf. When I need some for a recipe I open the cabinet and place a measuring cup under the pour spout and I am good to go.

I do not know much about wines so I don't know which types are dry by name. I do not think Chablis is terribly dry so I am sure there are better choices. I got that because that is what the store had. The recipes I use it in turn out great so I will continue to use it. The box holds 5 liters and probably cost me about 10-12 bucks so it is a great bargain.

Thank you guys so much. I cut and pasted your information. Next time I'm near the wine isle I'll know what to look for and buy so that when I see a recipe that sounds really good I'll be able to make it. Thanks again I knew I could count on you guys.

While I'm at it.....has anyone used White Zinfandel to cook with? What types of dishes do you use it in?

I once tried a Zinfandel to cook with when I was out of Pinot Grigio and all I can say is DON'T DO IT!! BLECH!

Any dry white will do!

As long as the wine is not oxidized or maderized, any dry white wine will do the trick just fine. I believe it is pointless to use high quality wine to cook with (a waste of money).

I can buy little 25 cl. plastic bottles of cheap French vin de table at the supermarket, and these are extremely convenient.

Alternatively, dry sherry keeps for a long time in the fridge, and can replace dry white table wine in many recipes.

Best regards,
Alex R.

White Zin ... not really anything I would use it for. Too sweet.

Red Zin, not really what I would cook with either (prefer Pinot Noirs).

I have a decorative ceramic tile given to me by an all-knowing friend: "I love to cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!" I'm with Alix - I like Pinot Grigio both for drinking and cooking (I'll often share a glass with the food).

I'm with GB except I keep a box of Chardonnay AND Burgundy right beside my cooktop. No air gets into the boxed wines so they stay very fresh for a very long time. Just reach up and get whatever you want. I am more apt to add wine because it is right there - and some pan browned chicken pieces with wine, rosemary, lemon zest, caper berries, kalamata olives, and chopped tomatoes is a good example. I add it to my spaghetti sauce and much, much more because it is so handy.

img_155674_0_f589103837e42ca5704ee75c1e9652cd.jpg

Too heck with the stock pot and microwave..........fork over them wooden spoons.....I collect them :)

I'll def. avoid the zinfandel for cooking. I'll won't rule out the boxed wines either.....will give those a try.

Thanks everyone!

Sizz - I've tried several - Burgundy seems to give me the depth of flavor that I want and Chardonnay gives me the dryness that I want - and this would be in reference to a Cab or a Chablis - though I'm not too picky (maybe it's just what I like to drink). It amazing how long those bottles last and it is amazing how many times you will be making something and you see the wines staring at you saying "please use me"!!!!

Hey, those wooden spoons are mine!!! lol

KE thanks for sharing the photo, I loved it!

The wines in boxes are a great idea... Next time I buy cooking wine that will be my choice. It will save room in the fridge too.

Back
Top Bottom