Favorite Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Winter Lager is my favorite with Boston Lager as my 'go to' beer. In the early years it was a crap shoot whether or not you could find Sam Adams in a bar or market. Not so much anymore. It's fairly wide spread.

It must be getting much more popular. I can get it in a town of 8,000 near here in Eastern Ontario. Here in the village of 1,000 where I live, I had my local beer store bring it in. He ordered it for me and has six packs on hand.

I don't usually care for beer, but the IPA we had on Kauai was delicious. And fresh tasting Heiniken in Dutch St. Maarten, there's just no comparison to the stuff we get in the States, which tastes skunky to me.

It must be getting much more popular. I can get it in a town of 8,000 near here in Eastern Ontario. Here in the village of 1,000 where I live, I had my local beer store bring it in. He ordered it for me and has six packs on hand.

Yeah, according to the TV ad shown locally, they produce over 60 different beers.

:yuk: not my beer...

I like the czech beers, real Budweiser, Gambrinus or Pilsener Urquell.. or a cold Hasseroeder...
I have a soft spot in my heart for Spaten. After hitchiking from Italy to Munich back in the 80's, the first thing I did was go into a bar and Spaten was the first beer I drank in Germany while staying there for a few weeks. I had a few that day, as I recall:yum:. I still remeber the taste and whenever I have one it takes me back.
If you have ever tried most mega brewery beers from North America, you will understand.:sick:

Last edited:
I don't usually care for beer, but the IPA we had on Kauai was delicious. And fresh tasting Heiniken in Dutch St. Maarten, there's just no comparison to the stuff we get in the States, which tastes skunky to me.

Try having a glass or two or three..... sitting at a bar in Amsterdam.;) For beer brewed here in the US, I prefer Abita Brewing Co. products.

...I saw Ginger Beer at the mega-mart the other day,
almost bought it just to try.
K-girl, if you like ginger ale but think it could use more ginger flavor, ginger beer is for you. It's non-alcoholic, just like ginger ale...unless there IS a hard version I don't know about. After all, they've turned apple cider into hard cider beer, so it could be.

If you do get the "soda pop" kind of ginger beer, it is really good served up with a shot of dark rum and a squirt of lime. A "Dark and Stormy". Just right when sitting on a beach or deck.

I have a glass A&W mug. Year's ago I used to drink Dad's root beer from it. I don't recall seeing Dad's around here, so I just looked. Hmm, seems the local K-Marts sell it. Since I'm rarely at K-Mart there's no wonder. I might be making a trip to one soon...

Chief, I don't know how averse you are to ingesting any "diet" product, but if you want to live dangerously you could always make a root beer float using both diet root beer and no sugar added ice cream. Once a summer we go that route, and if you find quality products (we use Edy's ice cream and IBC root beer) you can't tell the difference. Himself is diabetic and drinks diet pop (yuck). I'm not diabetic but there is a history in my family. I don't drink any pop, but when I have the annual float even I can't tell those products are "diet" because their flavors and textures are so good.

For beer beer, I like Great Lakes Brewing Company. Just like the OP, I'm really fond of the Christmas Ale. Unfortunately, GLBC is unable to secure a distributor in the New England Market. I get my fix (and stock up on a couple cases of 12s) when we visit the progeny back in OH.

We have a number of mini-micro breweries around here. We've been buying beer from them in growler bottles on occasion that are rather tasty. The one that is closest is in the process of moving from their old, tiny, first place to a bigger one the other end of town. Right now is a down time, so we bought a 12-pack of Smithwick's. Himself used to really like Bass Ale. About six years ago he complained that his taster was failing him because Bass didn't taste the same. A bit of googling around on my part and I found out the problem wasn't with his taste buds, but rather the formula was modified when they started brewing the beer stateside. We haven't seen import Bass around here since, so we get the equally fine (I think it's better) Smithwick's. Bass was always too light for this lady who orders Guinness when we're out and the pub has it on tap. :yum: Himself says Guinness is the only beer he's tried that you can chew. :ermm: :LOL:

My current favorites are, in no discernible order, Stella Artois when I want a European lager, Anchor Steam when I want a tasteful craft beer, and Anchor Porter if I want something dark and heavy.

K-girl, if you like ginger ale but think it could use more ginger flavor, ginger beer is for you. It's non-alcoholic, just like ginger ale...unless there IS a hard version I don't know about. After all, they've turned apple cider into hard cider beer, so it could be.

If you do get the "soda pop" kind of ginger beer, it is really good served up with a shot of dark rum and a squirt of lime. A "Dark and Stormy". Just right when sitting on a beach or deck.

CG, I've tried neither.
I'm pretty sure I saw the pop sort of Ginger Beer the other day.
Now I'm curious, I'm going to have to go back and look.
That dark n stormy sounds very good, although I no longer drink 'hards' nor does Mister K~girl, albeit the occasional snoot of Bailey's over rocks for him, me not so much.
I do imbibe at the ballpark, what ever's on tap, preferable Blue Moon at Chase Field.

I'm not really a beer drinker, but I do drink it on occasion.

I like:
Tuborg (Brewed in Denmark, I'm not even going to try the stuff I can get at the supermarket that is brewed somewhere in Africa.)
Carlsberg, now that we get the imported-from-Denmark stuff again. When a local brewery had a license to brew it, it was nasty.
Tsing Tao, when I'm in a Chinese resto.
If I'm eating Indian and they have British beer on tap, Newcastle Brown Ale or Harp.
Keith's IPA
And the best beer I ever tasted was called Viking Beer. It's only sold in Iceland. Apparently it's one of those that don't travel well.

We are currently looking for a local, micro-brewery beer that we might like. I want to cut down on the miles my beer has to travel.

Not a huge beer drinker, but I do have a few favorites (in no particular order)

• Goose Island Honkers Ale
  • Magic Hat #9
  • Dos Equis Lager (best beer to drink ice cold on a hot day)
  • Surly Furious
  • Indeed Brewing Shenanigans Summer Ale
  • Grain Belt Nordeast

Some are local, so I don't expect anyone's heard of them.

CG, I've tried neither.
I'm pretty sure I saw the pop sort of Ginger Beer the other day.
Now I'm curious, I'm going to have to go back and look..
Think of it this way: If you enjoy the flavor of ginger in foods (cookies, Asian cuisine, etc) you will probably like ginger beer. If you avoid ginger-flavored foods, save yourself any special trip to the store and the ensuing parting with the money.

Re: ginger, one of my favorite uses for the candied kind is in nice moist scones with bits of ginger and apricot. :yum: Hmm, looks like more baking in my future soon.

So true Steve. Paired with the Gosling's dark run, it's like vacation in a glass. When we were shopping a few days ago we saw import Jamaican ginger beer. Picked up a 2-litre to try in Dark & Stormy drinks.

So true Steve. Paired with the Gosling's dark run, it's like vacation in a glass. When we were shopping a few days ago we saw import Jamaican ginger beer. Picked up a 2-litre to try in Dark & Stormy drinks.
I've been drinking the ginger beer solo lately. It reminds me a lot of the ginger beer I've had in Britain. It has a little kick of heat, and I find it actually helps my arthritis a bit.

Back
Top Bottom