Favorite Vodka?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to live in Moscow(13 years ago, fresh out of university) and there were sooooo many amazing Vodkas when I lived there. The tragedy is that I didn't drink then, although I did indulge occasionally in Georgian wine... that's georgia the COUNTRY). I woe the days when I had fresh, microbrew vodka to taste and never took the opportunity. I still don't know vodkas today, as they are just mixers for me. I know. I should be ashamed. But my husband still swears the best vodkas are Russian or Polish.

However, with all of my Irish friends here in Munich, I do know that the poison of choice is Bushmill's Single Malt Irish Whiskey... and that, I do like... and drink on the rocks.

Psiguyy said:
Vodka is the only hard stuff I drink. Been a fan of it for many years. I only drink it straight.

There was a time I liked Stoli Crystal, but it was quickly replaced by Chopin potato vodka a few years back. Then Chopin was replaced by Belvedere, which was quickly replaced by Grey Goose.

At present, Ciroq is my favorite. The French really know how to make a great vodka.

Mezzaluna, an Italian vodka is good, but not worth the money.

Kettle One and Absolut are not even on my list of drinkable vodkas. There's something about these two vodkas that just doesn't agree with my taste buds and stomach.

There are some obscure Russian vodkas that I really like, but can only get them at the Mandalay Bay's Red Square in Vegas.

I prefer my vodka at around 5 degrees F, straight up. No veggies to ruin the flavor of the vodka.

I just bought something called Ketel One is that the vodka you are referring to? You prefer Gray Goose or which one. I am confused cause I think you have tried them all. I won't open this if you don't care for it. Thanks

I'm not a fan of Ketel One. At one time, I thought it was good. That was when Shmirnoff was the "best" vodka. Since then, so many others are leagues better than Ketel One.

Grey Goose is definitely near the top of my list. Currently, my favorite is Ciroc. If I can't get Ciroc, I get Grey Goose. Both of these go down real smooth and have a very clean flavor. Ketel One leaves an after taste that I don't like. Same with Absolut. Too much after taste that doesn't taste good to me.

My difficulty with Schmirnoff is the price...its the most widely advertised Vodka in the world, and the buyer pays the cost of that advertising (unless its in a "weird" bottle that adds a buck or two to the cost of the product!)

Aside from that, Vodka, generally= pure grain alcohol at 40% strength + water.

The "pure grain alcohol" is pretty tough to mess with...its a chemical formula...

So you are "messing with" water...

Since several vodka's nowaday's recognise this, and are literally using glacial melt as the "purest" water available, its hard to argue...

It also gets hard to insert an ice cube, without understanding one is "contaminating" all the "work" that goes in on being "pure" in the recipe...

A "very fine palate" indeed to separate one from another! (Whatever do you use to wash off and try the second? Certainly not tap water!)(Obviously a non-smoker!) And very fine "sips" of each, in order that you don't ingest more than an ounce or two, or the alcohol dulls the palate that you cannot, say, tell 12 year old from 15 year old whiskies...(also, plainly, drinking these without ice, for the same reason...or a glass of water in the other hand, with ice...a "right " "professional Highlander" trick...

Whatever happened to "just enjoying oneself", aside from these "narcissic adventures"?

Lifter

I'd say Grey Goose is probably about the best for pure taste, although Stolychnya (sp?) is damn near just as good for about 15% less money.

Rob Babcock said:
I'd say Grey Goose is probably about the best for pure taste, although Stolychnya (sp?) is darn near just as good for about 15% less money.

Give Ciroc a try. If you like Grey Goose, you'll like Ciroc. If I have to, I'll drink Stoli.

BTW, Grey Goose and other vodka bottles make nice oil bottles. I fill empty bottles with cooking oil and stick a bar pourer in it. The best part is you don't have to wash them before you pour the oil in.

I always heard that vodka was made from potatoes? My brother has told me that even 10 year old kids in Russia drink the stuff. He claims they have very hard life and depend on it. I only care to drink when having company and really don't want to indulge in something that is hard on the kidneys. If it is made from potatoes that should not be too bad. Appreciate your time. Thanks I am returning the Ketel vodka and going to get Ciroc if I can find it or Grey Goose. My knowledge is limited when it comes to the Party Department of the store. They could sell me anything.

Alix

I would more than "gladly" share of your Dad's Bell's Antique Scotch!

With some "sense of responsibility", could you tighten up the cork, and use "smidgens" of it to family members on a "significant anniversary" for your family? Am quite sure that this would be in accordance to his wishes...maybe served up with cabbage rolls, varenicky. sour cream, kielbasa, etc, as he so much appreciated in life and living?

Never forget that wonderful man, and his wonderful experience of food...

My Very Deepest Sympathies on your loss, and thanks that he was able to go out so simply and without the pains suffered by others...and I can be very sure that he so much appreciated your efforts, as well as your Mom's, in trying to comfort him with the old and traditional fods and recipe's...you can't ask any more than that from your spouse, or children, and you all did it for him...makes you a pretty special kind of person, on my opinion...

Lifter

Thanks Lifter. You brought a lump to my throat. We toasted him Christmas eve over perohe and holupchi. No one but me much likes the stuff so it is sitting in my cabinet waiting for the next occasion. I intend to have a sniff or two every time I think of him. If you come out this way bring an appetite and we will whip up a feast and break out the Bells.

Watch out!

I have a sister in Sherwood Park, a daughter in Calgary, as well as 2x SIL's and numerous nieces and nephews, one who's a God Son...so I'm no stranger to Alberta!

I could be there "with Bell's On" sooner than you think! (and in my Grandfather's words, "we'll want a 'drink'...not just 'dirty a glass'"!)

Lifter

PS
Remember my sister's wedding, at the lake, and as the vows were spoken, a train whistle sounded, as a train went past the crossing...as our recently departed Grandfather, a "family legend" was a lifelong CPR type, this was just so eerie and "spooky"...I get where you are coming from....

In the Kitchen said:
I always heard that vodka was made from potatoes? My brother has told me that even 10 year old kids in Russia drink the stuff. He claims they have very hard life and depend on it. I only care to drink when having company and really don't want to indulge in something that is hard on the kidneys. If it is made from potatoes that should not be too bad. Appreciate your time. Thanks I am returning the Ketel vodka and going to get Ciroc if I can find it or Grey Goose. My knowledge is limited when it comes to the Party Department of the store. They could sell me anything.

Vodka can be made from almost anything, it seems like. Grains and potatoes are the most popular. I believe Grey Goose and Ciroc are both made from grains and Chopin is one of the most popular potato vodka.

Hope you enjoyed your vodka!

PsiGuyy, are you a position to try "Polar Ice" Vodka?

Seems you are a bit of a "purist" on the issue,...

Polar Ice is grain alcohol, triple distilled, cut to 40% by volume with honest to God "blue" glacial ice (I understand this is actually "mined" from icebergs adrift up near Labrador)...

"Blue ice", BTW, is frozen sea water that has had, over at least a millenia, all the "salts" leached from it...the Inuit use it as a "clear water" source, as the last time it was "liquid" was at least a thousand years ago, and "Coors" advertising aside, I cannot think of a water source much more "pure"...

"Cool" this in the deep freeze, and serve "straight up", no ice, no "mix", and I can't quite get where "vodka" can be made much better?

Would be glad of any reply, even if it means looking around for a website or vendor, reasonably local to you, that you could give this a "shot"...

Lifter

I read that one of the Monopolowa vodkas isn't triple-distilled and is rather sweet. I've had no luck finding it here in Indiana. Anyone else have a vodka that is noticeably sweet out of the bottle?

Has anyone tried gray goose and pineapple juice. Easy and good for the summer. It's also good with grapefruit juice, if you like grapefruit juice.

I'm not really a vodka fan as far as the purists go. But I like Absolut Kurant or Mandarin with my Cosmo's and Absolut Citron in my Kamikaze's. I do like a vanilla or chocolate martini though.

Back
Top Bottom