French champagne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TanyaK

Senior Cook
Someone gave us a bottle of Moet for our wedding and we opened it on our anniversary. First time we've had french champagne(definitely not in the budget:) and I was a bit disappointed. It was nice but not nicer than most of our South African Cap Classique sparkling wines (cap classique being what SA wine makers call the method of making "champagne" by second fermentation as they can't legally call it champagne). So for you "bubbly" drinkers out there - how does US / Australian wines produced in the same manner as they produce champagne in France compare with French champagne?

Like a lot of things, sparkling wines are a matter if personal preference. If you had been drinking French Champaigne all your life and someone gave you a bottle of South African sparkling wine, you probably wouldn't like it as much as French Champaigne.

I like Moet and Chandon White Star. My SO likes Ballatore because it's sweeter.

It's nice - quite similar to a few SA bubblies - just not wow and not worth paying 6 times more. I would have thought it would be drier and a bit yeastier.

I like Moet and Chandon White Star. My SO likes Ballatore because it's sweeter.

Make that Moet and Chandon Imperial Nectar or Nectar Imperial.... Imperial Nectar is just a tad sweeter than White Star and Nectar Imperial is even sweeter still!!! YUM!

"French Champagne" is redundant, as only wine made in France can be called champagne.

I love it. Billecart Salmon is my favorite for a splurge. Otherwise Veuve Cliquot.

But for everyday drinking I'll usually buy a cava (Spanish). And I recently tried the Vino Verde from TJ's. At 3.99 a bottle, it's very refreshing and tasty. But not in champagne's league.

"French Champagne" is redundant, as only wine made in France can be called champagne.

Actually, it has to be from the Champagne region in France to be labeled as Champagne. Other than that it's sparkling wine or French sparkling wine.

Like others have said - it's just a matter of personal taste. Jenny, search for a bottle of Duval-Leroy (Dewvaal Lawaa)- it's YUMMY!!!!! This is a Champagne with a bit of lemon zest on the finish - FABulous :mrgreen:

Tanya - It is disappointing when something doesn't meet our expectations. I've had all sort of Champagnes and they run from - OMG, why didn't I buy another bottle to - OMG, I really don't like drinking rising dough :LOL: Now you know you can save some money and buy MORE bottles of less expensive sparkling and know you're not really missing anything by not buying the Moet! But there are other Champagnes out there that WILL make you change your mind! :LOL:

Actually, it has to be from the Champagne region in France to be labeled as Champagne. Other than that it's sparkling wine or French sparkling wine.

aaaaa - yes, I thought you said the exact same thing she did but you have the inclusion of "Champagne" France. I'm pretty sure that's what Jenny meant too though.

Yes. I knew that it's from a particular region in France (like DOR and DOP products).

I was only pointing out that "French Champagne" is redundant because champagne can only be made in France. There can't be American or Italian champagne.

And within this there are all sorts of qualities - some of the supermarkets here sell cheaper ones & they are awful. As well as flavour the champers is judged on bubble size which is fun. France also produces a lot of good crement from the other wine regions. These are a fraction of the price and good especially if you are making a kir etc (- we did have it mixed with cointreau & I can't remember much of the evening!); Italy also produces some really good fruity, dry sparkling wines though as a few have said its all down to preference though good fun getting there!

A true kir is made with Aligote, a Burgundy grape, and creme de Cassis. A Royal Kir is made with sparkling wine/Champagne.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom