Has anyone tried Stellar gin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I saw it in the store today and noticed that it was a citrus flavored gin. That sounds kind of strange to me ... normally I would only associate a citrus flavored liquor with vodka. Has anyone tried this? Is it good?

The only way I will drink Gin is in Lemonade. Probably offensive to a Gin Officianato but thats what I like. Citrus flavored Gin sounds good to me. I will have to look for it. Thanks for the heads up.

I noticed vanilla flavored bourbon last year. I love bourbons and was a bit offended but I must say it was not bad. I do not think they should be able to call it a bourbon but I don't make the rules.:)

I noticed vanilla flavored bourbon last year. I love bourbons and was a bit offended but I must say it was not bad. I do not think they should be able to call it a bourbon but I don't make the rules.

That sounds ... interesting. What would you drink it with?

I'm so glad you brought this up.

Being a little bored with vodka/tonics, the DW decided to get the ingredients for L.I. Iced Teas. We always order these when we eat out. The gin she picked up was Bombay Dry Gin. The last time I drank gin was Beefeater (which was disgusting)....ahem....when I was underage. I decided to take a whiff of the bottle and found the aroma to be quite pleasing with a little citrus note. Anyway, after years of drinking vodka/tonics I've ventured on to gin/tonic. Any other gins you would recommend? Where does that slight lime scent/flavor come from?

Being a little bored with vodka/tonics, the DW decided to get the ingredients for L.I. Iced Teas. We always order these when we eat out. The gin she picked up was Bombay Dry Gin. The last time I drank gin was Beefeater (which was disgusting)....ahem....when I was underage. I decided to take a whiff of the bottle and found the aroma to be quite pleasing with a little citrus note. Anyway, after years of drinking vodka/tonics I've ventured on to gin/tonic. Any other gins you would recommend? Where does that slight lime scent/flavor come from?

Not sure about the makings of gin or its flavorings, but I enjoy Bombay Sapphire gin. Of course, I have not tried very many varieties so I cannot decisively say if it's better/worse than anything else, but I think it's great in a dry martini (none of that raspberry, strawberry, fruity, chocolate, espresso or any other flavor ... just a straight martini w/ two big olives).

Not sure about the makings of gin or its flavorings, but I enjoy Bombay Sapphire gin. Of course, I have not tried very many varieties so I cannot decisively say if it's better/worse than anything else, but I think it's great in a dry martini (none of that raspberry, strawberry, fruity, chocolate, espresso or any other flavor ... just a straight martini w/ two big olives).

I hear ya on the fruity stuff, thats how I like my Grey Goose. I'm going to try a Bombay tini this weekend.:wacko:

This is what I have:

7292.jpg

Last edited:
Gin is the new "in" liquor.

This is a great article discussing gin and the new boutique makers.

I have tried Rangpur becasue you can find that pretty much anywhere, but am dying to try 209 and Junipero but can't find them around here yet.

I saw it in the store today and noticed that it was a citrus flavored gin. That sounds kind of strange to me ... normally I would only associate a citrus flavored liquor with vodka. Has anyone tried this? Is it good?

From reading reviews. Low on the juniper flavor, high on fruit flavors. It's is a trend gin, aimed specifically for the what they predict to be the new liquor market. It was test marketed in a few cities before release. They hosted trend parties in high end night clubs to get the market up and running.

It's supposed to be tasty, but by no accounts is it really "gin".

Thanks for the Link, Jenny. They described the Bombay perfectly. Now I know what to look for when I try a new one.

I hear ya on the fruity stuff, thats how I like my Grey Goose. I'm going to try a Bombay tini this weekend.:wacko:

This is what I have:

7292.jpg

Should have gotten the Bombay Blue... it's great!!!! one of the top gins on the market.

I've had the vanilla flavored cognac (Navan, I believe was the brand name) in a coffee drink after dinner one night. Can't really remember what else was in there other than some whipped cream on top. It was really tasty though.

:heart:
Z

Well I finally went out and just bought the stuff (Stellar gin) to see what it is like. Basically it tastes like citrus vodka, which is what I expected. It has a nice flavor but like another person mentioned, it really is not what I would call gin. It bears almost no resemblance to dry gin.

So it's gin with a splash of triple sec?

I'd say that pretty much describes it - although it's more of a blend of citrus than orange as triple sec is.

Back
Top Bottom