Limoncello!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
I have found a lot of people have never tried it!! Well, the next time you are buying liquor. Pick up a bottle. Serve it ice cold or over ice. Very refreshing...if you like lemon...

I refreshed my friendship with this Italian treat this weekend.

I love limoncello!!! It's like candy with a kick. I'm so glad you brought this up, Jeff, because I've been neglecting my friendship with this stuff, too! Do you like it ice cold?

duh, I should never try to post with my boys in the room. You already said you like it ice cold.

Last edited:
I love this stuff!!! I like it with champange and also another recipe I found in Rachel Ray's cook book... Champange Freezies... lemon sorbet, limoncello and a splash of champange... ohhhh sooooo good! Good over ice cream with some nice dark chocolate sauce!

I had a very good lemontini once at PF Changs (I think) that I just can't figure out.
Would limoncello help? Or would drinking it straight negate the need for the -tini part?
There is a recipe for limoncello in a thread called what to do with lemons / lemon juice today.

I had a very good lemontini once at PF Changs (I think) that I just can't figure out.
Would limoncello help? Or would drinking it straight negate the need for the -tini part?
There is a recipe for limoncello in a thread called what to do with lemons / lemon juice today.

Yes, you can make your own if you have the patience to do it... The real Italian stuff is usually better. Here in the US, you generally have one or two types of lemons and I am not sure they are the same varietals as they grow in Italy..

I'd gotten a recipe from a coworker who made her own and brought it to work with her one day:ohmy:.
I sampled it, went home to moms, got many many Myer lemons, bought the 100 proof Vodka and whipped it up. Did the same with limes from the market, thought if lemons worked wouldn't limes work too? Bought fancy bottles and drank it with dinner and friends. So good.

Thanks Andy! Lefse, would you mind sharing the recipe? Lemons are as expensive as limes are cheap here! I'd love to make my own after this bottle is gone. Thanks!

Italian Limoncello recipe
2/5 part 100 proof vodka
4 cups sugar
5 cups water
zest of 15 fresh lemons

1. Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax. Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there is no white pith on the peel.

In a 1-gallon glass jar, add one fifth vodka and the lemon zest. Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least 10 days, and up to 40 days in a cool dark place.

3. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook until thickened, appx. 5 to 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before adding it to the limoncello mixture. Add the additional fifth of vodka. Allow to rest for another 10 to 40 days.

4. After the rest period, strain and bottle, discarding the lemon zest. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.

Italian Limoncello recipe
2/5 part 100 proof vodka
4 cups sugar
5 cups water
zest of 15 fresh lemons

1. Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax. Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there is no white pith on the peel.

In a 1-gallon glass jar, add one fifth vodka and the lemon zest. Cover the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least 10 days, and up to 40 days in a cool dark place.

3. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook until thickened, appx. 5 to 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before adding it to the limoncello mixture. Add the additional fifth of vodka. Allow to rest for another 10 to 40 days.

4. After the rest period, strain and bottle, discarding the lemon zest. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.

Finally found Sandy Waters recipe that she wrote on a napkin, no wonder it was hard to locate.
I found it very easy to make, very easy to follow and really not much to making it, it was the sitting that made it hard, hard to wait for, I was thirsty.

"Sandy Waters Limoncello"

**7 lemons, 5 for zest, 2 for cutting into chunks
1 bottle 100 proof vodka
4 c sugar
5 c water
*1/2 t clear real vanilla [optional]

Wash the lemons, dry off with paper toweling, zest 5 of them and then cut up in chunks the other two, make sure to remove all seeds you find in them.
Place zest and lemons in sterile glass pitcher [big enough to hold the bottle of vodka plus the lemons plus the syrup]. Pour vodka over lemons. Cover with Saran and place in dark cool area for 5 days. Don't remove plastic and don't disturb.

Bring to boil, the 5 c water with the 4 c sugar, cook until sugar is dissolved and no longer grainy. Let cool completely. If using the vanilla, add now to the syrup, stir. Pour the syrup in the pitcher over the vodka and lemons, stir. Place Saran over top of pitcher, back in dark place, and test it after 30 days, will either be ready or not quite depending on lemons used. If not quite there, leave only until 40 days. Place large fine sieve over large bowl, strain to remove all solids and place in bottles of choice. Store in refrigerator and drink ice cold.

*Sandy says that she likes it best when using the vanilla because to her it softens the bite of the lemons very slightly. I opted to use it and did with the Limecello too.
**I used Myer lemons because that's what mom has in her yard and I prefer them, they're not as sour or bitter to me. Regular lemons are perfect too.

Thanks folks all for the wonderful-looking recipes!

What's 100-proof vodka? I checked the Stolichnaya bottle I have and it says 100% grain neutral spirits. On another part of the label, it says 40% VOL. What do these mean? So is this 100-proof?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom