Limoncello - what do you make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I just got my first bottle of Caravella limoncello. It has a couple of recipes on the tag, but I was wondering if any of you had your special way of using it. I did read the thread that originated with the over 21 shrimp cocktail (masteraznchefjr...you are still underaged!) but now it's time for the limoncello to take the spotlight.

I'm really hoping Konditor has some amazing idea, or Lifter knows something we don't...

or maybe some faboo drink mudbug just came up with...

ideas, folks!
11.gif

All I've done with it so far jkath is make some homemade hooch and knock it back straight (in little bitty glasses).

Couldn't hurt to throw some in a pouncake, tho, I'm thinkin.

For drinks, add it to something "neutral" like vodka and maybe add a teensy splash of Midori for a lemon/lime concoction.

Whaddya think? I yield the floor to the experts.

mudbug, I wish you lived around here - you're quite a kick!

Like I said, the limoncello came with a couple of ideas, and I'm thinking of trying one tonight: 1½ oz limoncello, 3 oz cream shaken with ice.
mmmmmm! I may even add some vanilla syrup.

I like your idea with the poundcake...and they think rum cake is habit forming.....!

I don't really know too much about it, other than its an apertif (We tried it when in Rome last June, and brought some home)

My understanding is that it started in early times as a sort of mixture of vodka and a rendering of lemon zest for flavour.

I think it would do well with some sherberts as a dressing (like you use Creme de menthe on ice cream)I don't think this would go with vanilla ice cream, though...) Using it as a baking ingredient would be wasteful, unless it has some strange property I don't know of...if you want lemon, there's lemon juice, lemon zest or (probably) lemon extract...

On the other hand, dousing a bit onto your lemon pie before the meringue goes on might add some zip, or even if you could get the meringue to perform with some of this beaten into it...

(sip, sip)

I can't say I can see this used with shrimp (maybe flambeed?) but it might be interesting if you could fit it in with crab or lobster somehow....or perhaps as a part of poaching fish, or as a dressing (instead of lemon juice) on grilled fish....(tried it with a bite of the leftover grilled salmon from last night, and not bad...perhaps if the salmon was hotter and this was mixed with butter, but its still a little sweet...

Perhaps with club soda or Sprite, and chilled...or with vodka, shaken up into a martini? A new "Cosmopolotan"?

Like Mudbug, we've just regridgerated and served it straight up and ice cold, to the ladies as an interesting apertif...

Lifter

I just bought some for a get-together on Saturday with a bunch of girls (we're known as the Hens! LOL) I ran across this recipe:

Limoncello Dressing

For fresh, pesto-like dressing, with the rich Limoncello flavor from Caravella, combine a chopped, ripe tomato and several fresh basil leaves in the food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pour in enough extra virgin olive oil to cover, a shot of Limoncello, salt and pepper to taste. Process until blended yet still a bit chunky. Pour this over slices of tomato and fresh mozzarella cheese.

We just served ours in little glasses rimmed with sugar (I thought it was sweet enough so I didn't want the sugar). You can also add it to Champaign or sparkling wine - I could also see it as some kind of martini - like mudbug (I think) said to use it with some vodka as a martini - or added to other drinks like Mojito (who knows, it could be good LOL).

Okay - I've now consumed some............
WOW! Lifter, I see why you serve it to the ladies! You got my vote!

Here's what I'm having: (besides a hard time typing...)
3 parts grapefruit vodka
2 parts limoncello
shaken over ice
in a sugar rimmed martini glass.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
26.gif

I bet the grapefruit vodka really helps take some of the sweet out! I'm writing that one down (or printing it out I should say). I just have to get some more Limoncello and then some grapefruit vodka - YUM. That Limoncello is expensive! :cry:

On Mario Eats Italy, Mario Batali had a whole show on limoncello.
have not tried the recipes myself, but the Shrimp bruschetta with limoncello sounded really good to me.

Here's a link to the show so you can see all the recipes.

When Life Gives You Lemons

Good Luck!

GRET IDEA wasabi!

It could take bruschetta someplace not seen before...will have to look at the recipes on Wednesday, have to hit the sack now, and am working late tomorrow...

But that coulds get neat, in proper quantity, with bruschetta...but still think "martini" juice, or torched on the seafood has possibilities...maybe a marinade for umpteen hours with the salmon...an interesting prospect for a new recipe....

Lifter

kitchenelf said:
I just bought some for a get-together on Saturday with a bunch of girls (we're known as the Hens! LOL)

Had to find this again and respond, elf. I belong to a circle of friends ALSO known as the Hens. This name was given us by the then-husband of one of our members, and we took the moniker up with pride (we also helped said member shed herself of this character).

We try to meet on a regular basis, but pesky interruptions like children, husbands, and jobs keep getting in the way. We usually have a potluck (lots of competition there). Hen Night frequently consists of everyone talking and no one listening.

Members serve on a rotating basis as Queen (I am the current Queen). The Queen gets possession of the royal feather boa and tiara during her reign. We are running out of room for all the chicken tchotckes we used to give each other at Christmas, so now we select a charity and give money or goods to it.

LOL mudbug - sounds just like us - we each have "hen names" -

Chef Hen - (originator of the group)
Big Ol' Gat Hen - (the other originator) skinny as a rail! LOL
Rooster Magnet Hen (all the men gravitate to her when we go out)
Snortin' Hen - she snorts when she laughs
Lady Hen - reserved
G-Lo Hen - take off of J-Lo
Yappy Hen - yes she talks nonstop
Wisecrack Hen - has a wise crack to say about everything
Trippin' Hen - she trips ALL the time (this is me :oops: )
Fashion Hen - She has a high-end boutique
Happy Hotty Hen - always in a good mood and even girls think she's "hot" LOL
Cool Hen - always calm even when mad
Zen Hen - self-explanatory I think
Crabby Hen - always crabby

We go to Isle of Palms once a year - rent a house on the ocean, and then get together and cook once a year for our first "pay up" party in the fall and then do movies one time for another "pay up" night, and get together for appetizers at someone's house for another "pay up" party. We have a lot of fun when we're together and your evening of cooking sounds like ours. Now you guys have to come up with Hen names! The two originators are always in charge of the menu and they send recipes of what we're supposed to cook. This last time we had an awesome meal!!!! Well, we do every time LOL

My gosh, this is just too uncanny! I have a group of nine other women, some of us have been friends for 20 years and the "youngest" member of the "Village" joined us a decade ago. We get together constantly and have since the very beginning, rotating from one back patio to another nearly every weekend to catch up. We hadn't thought of "Hen names", and instead of "Queen" we appoint an annual Mayor, who decides who will host the Christmas party, as well as NY Eve, Fourth of July and Labor Day (usually a camp out) and then sets the location (or chairs the debate) for where we will go that year on our annual Women's Get-The-Heck-Out-Of-Town Weekend.

The youngest child is now twelve, and the oldest two are 28. And this year, eight of our families have graduating high school seniors. Instead of the requisite passing of gifts, we're pooling together to rent this houseboat on steroids (3 decks and side thrusters) for all of our young people to bring their friends and have a huge graduation bash, band and all. I have been appointed responsible for ensuring an adequate supply of ear plugs for the adults...

These gals and our huge extended family have always been my rock and I love each of them more than words can say.

jkath said:
Here's what I'm having: (besides a hard time typing...)
3 parts grapefruit vodka
2 parts limoncello
shaken over ice
in a sugar rimmed martini glass.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
26.gif

Jkath,

Although I usually have enjoyed limoncello on ice, this sounds really good. Will try.

Nice wiener, btw

mudbug said:
Members serve on a rotating basis as Queen (I am the current Queen). The Queen gets possession of the royal feather boa and tiara during her reign. We are running out of room for all the chicken tchotckes we used to give each other at Christmas, so now we select a charity and give money or goods to it.
For some reason this reminded me of something a friend did. She came across a cute goose at a store one day (not ceramic, but similar--made to put outside for decoration). She snuck it into her friend's yard. Not long after, she found it in her yard, with a little scarf added. They started sneaking it into each other's yard with different clothes and accessories--this went on for years. I was thinking, you could do the same with a chicken!

:) Barbara

Limoncello Shrimp Cocktail

I make a "vinaigrette" of limoncello, lemon juice, extra virgin oilve oil, salt and pepper, very thin slivers of red and green bell peppers, and long, thready zests of lemon and/or lime. Marinate cooked shrimp in it for no more than an hour, and serve over ice. The quantities are like any vinaigrette--about 1-2 parts limoncello, 1 part lemon juice and 2-4 parts oilve oil--mix it to taste--the taste should balance on the tongue.

Lemoncello uses

I just "discovered" Lemoncello this summer when watching Chef Mario on the food network.

I have 2 recipes posted on my site under past articles that use Lemoncello in food. There's one shrimp dish but you can easily substitute chicken.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom